Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

New Model Yi Dash cam $64.99 (Prime Day)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2019 5:59 pm
Mar 4, 2006
443 posts
501 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] New Model Yi Dash cam $64.99 (Prime Day)

New Model Yi Dash Cam.

-(EDIT:Maybe?? ) Has a capacitor for collision recording when the car is off
-better nightvision
-Narrower field of view than the old model

Amazon US is selling for the same price but in USD so seems like a good deal. I've been using the old model for a year with 0 issues so decided to give this a shot for my other car.

EDIT: after re-reading the description and the user manual I found online I don't see a parking mode mentioned. A user on amazon.com asked if there was a parking mode and the Yi Rep clearly stated there was. Seems odd that it's not a listed feature tho...

EDIT 2: sample video
Last edited by qpoqpo on Jul 18th, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
114 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
A good capacitor + WiFi cam has been what I've been waiting for. Bought.
Oct 31, 2010
914 posts
812 upvotes
Edmonton
Very tempting to pick one up for my other vehicle.

Anyone have this and able to comment on the quality? Can you read license plates?
Banned
May 30, 2019
11 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A lot of deals from YI today
Mar 9, 2016
253 posts
122 upvotes
Is this worth the upgrade over the previous version which was $55 last week?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
I would say yes because of the capacitor. Canada getting hot these days.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
2209 posts
1814 upvotes
ssaketh wrote: Is this worth the upgrade over the previous version which was $55 last week?
I am wondering the same. I placed the order on the older one for 49.99 on Thursday, and it shipped already :/
Mar 4, 2006
443 posts
501 upvotes
ahammad wrote: I am wondering the same. I placed the order on the older one for 49.99 on Thursday, and it shipped already :/
If you feel like you don't need the capacitor then the old one works just fine and I probably wouldn't upgrade if I already had a cam for each car. If I parked outside a lot in some less than reputable areas then I would probably upgrade.
Oct 14, 2012
434 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone knows how this compares to the VIOFO A119?
Jan 27, 2015
103 posts
34 upvotes
Courtice, ON
combine $25 amazon gift card for $5 promo credit
Jan 18, 2017
824 posts
421 upvotes
ahammad wrote: I am wondering the same. I placed the order on the older one for 49.99 on Thursday, and it shipped already :/
I'm returning mine. Capacitor and better sensor for night use seems worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Anyone have a recommendation for a hardwire fuse kit to use with this?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2016
1068 posts
1030 upvotes
Good price here, definitely recommend for anyone that doesn't have a dash cam yet.

To consider - the older version Smart Dash came (also by Yi) has a wider FOV of 165 degrees instead of this one that has 140 degrees. That's the only reason why I won't upgrade yet but if someone doesn't have one maybe jump for the newer version at this price. I'm sure 140 degrees is still good enough.
Jun 6, 2011
197 posts
420 upvotes
Hamilton
qpoqpo wrote: -Has a capacitor for collision recording when the car is off
At the risk of sounding ill-informed, but I'll do it anyway since I'm not familiar with dash cam tech... throughout the descriptions of the product, it does state the capacitor being able to sustain better low/high temps, but doesn't mention that it has any type of parking mode or recording when the vehicle is off. Is that function implied with a capacitor or I'm just blind and can't read (or read between the lines)? Thanks.
Oct 20, 2015
133 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How do you install this camera in the car? How is this better than other similarly priced cameras?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
xkaliber wrote: At the risk of sounding ill-informed, but I'll do it anyway since I'm not familiar with dash cam tech... throughout the descriptions of the product, it does state the capacitor being able to sustain better low/high temps, but doesn't mention that it has any type of parking mode or recording when the vehicle is off. Is that function implied with a capacitor or I'm just blind and can't read (or read between the lines)? Thanks.
The capacitor inside the dashcam cannot hold a charge long enough.
Jun 6, 2011
197 posts
420 upvotes
Hamilton
vkizzle wrote: The capacitor inside the dashcam cannot hold a charge long enough.
Crap, I was hoping to have this thing on while I'm parked for those sketchy neighbourhood or terrible mall drivers! Thanks for the answer. I wonder if I could just plug this into my phone battery packs, haha. I think I might have an 'always on' port inside the car that I'll have to look-up now!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1942 posts
1746 upvotes
Center of the univer…
xkaliber wrote: At the risk of sounding ill-informed, but I'll do it anyway since I'm not familiar with dash cam tech... throughout the descriptions of the product, it does state the capacitor being able to sustain better low/high temps, but doesn't mention that it has any type of parking mode or recording when the vehicle is off. Is that function implied with a capacitor or I'm just blind and can't read (or read between the lines)? Thanks.
You are correct xkaliber... capicator has nothing to do with parking mode. If anything there is no battery so it will turn off as soon as you turn off the car. You need a hardwire kit to enable parking modes on most of the dash cams but this one doesn't even have the parking mode feature so hard wiring it will not add that capability. Capacitor helps with dashcam being able to run in extreme temperatures where the battery might fail.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
xkaliber wrote: Crap, I was hoping to have this thing on while I'm parked for those sketchy neighbourhood or terrible mall drivers! Thanks for the answer. I wonder if I could just plug this into my phone battery packs, haha. I think I might have an 'always on' port inside the car that I'll have to look-up now!
For parking mode, the correct method is to hardwire to constant power with a low voltage monitor to prevent the car battery draining until it dies.
Or use a portable battery pack as the power source.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3685 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
dangdwn wrote: How do you install this camera in the car? How is this better than other similarly priced cameras?
stick it on your windshield, plug it into lighter charger.

done

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)