Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] New Model Yi Dash cam $64.99 (Prime Day)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2019 5:59 pm
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
194 posts
212 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Are people just using 1080p30 + WDR resolution or is anyone using 1080p60 instead? Does WDR help that much? Just curious if there's a very noticeable difference between 30 frames and 60 frames that it would be worth it to lose WDR.

Also I hope they allow for the ability to disable the logo. Doesn't bother me much, but would like to turn it off. Also perhaps add in the ability to use a 12-hour clock instead of 24 hour.

I'm using 1080p 30fps WDR. I figure nighttime needs more help in capturing detail. Daytime doesn't really have any issues with recording what's going on.

There was one time I was driving on the highway early morning and it was totally dark. There was crash that I barely saw in the corner of my eye in the opposite direction. When I checked the footage from the old cam I could barely see anything.
Last edited by qpoqpo on Jul 18th, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18474 posts
26486 upvotes
ONTARIO
I tested this camera today. Quality looks pretty much like that video posted above. Seems good enough.

Although at first, I downloaded some footage to my phone and then cast it to my TV to watch it on a larger screen. That was a dumb way to judge video quality.
There was obvious compression issues and random choppiness. It was difficult to even make out license plates. For a few minutes I was actually disappointed with this camera, thinking the quality was sub par. I did realize 5-10 minutes later though that I'm an idiot and the footage looked fine on the actual phone's screen. Obviously casting was the issue, lol.

Connected my phone to my PC and then watched them directly. So much better. Very clear picture and I could make out the license plates just fine.
Have not tested it at night yet.
Jan 31, 2016
13 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
I got mine earlier in the week and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to focus on the road. It's just focusing on the windshield so everything is blurry. Thinking about returning it unless anyone has any ideas?
Feb 5, 2009
870 posts
118 upvotes
jeremy4 wrote: Suction cups fall off too easy especially in high heat and deep cold. I've now switched to rearview mirror dash cam mounts. They're $10 and more solid and the latest ones are thin enough to fit even on most of the funky rearview posts.
Which rearview mirror mount did you get and do you have a link ?
I had bought a two pack of suction cup mounts for the first yi dash cam that i purchased , as a backup and potentially being able to use it for a future yi dashcam purchase, but this mount is different i guess i should have just bought the previous version. :(
Feb 5, 2009
870 posts
118 upvotes
canadianhero9 wrote: I got mine earlier in the week and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to focus on the road. It's just focusing on the windshield so everything is blurry. Thinking about returning it unless anyone has any ideas?
Sorry, not being a jerk, but have to ask the very basic question, is there a plastic film on the lens?
Jan 31, 2016
13 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
dealCker wrote: Sorry, not being a jerk, but have to ask the very basic question, is there a plastic film on the lens?
Nah I made sure to remove it, specially because I had it on the first time I used it. In the videos I've downloaded the windshield is perfectly sharp in focus, tested pointing the camera in other directions and it only seems to focus at about a foot or two away.
May 10, 2006
535 posts
138 upvotes
YYC
Just mounted mine and went for a night drive only to come back pretty disappointed considering it being marketed as a nightscape camera. The picture is very noisy and there is a ton of halo-ing from streetlights. Gonna try it in the day tomorrow to see if if it can possibly redeem itself, otherwise I'm sending both of mine back.
Jun 16, 2008
284 posts
221 upvotes
Brampton
FTO wrote: Just mounted mine and went for a night drive only to come back pretty disappointed considering it being marketed as a nightscape camera. The picture is very noisy and there is a ton of halo-ing from streetlights. Gonna try it in the day tomorrow to see if if it can possibly redeem itself, otherwise I'm sending both of mine back.
Did you end up keeping them?
May 10, 2006
535 posts
138 upvotes
YYC
Gaggu P wrote: Did you end up keeping them?
No, I sent both of mine back. I found the nighttime picture noisy and streetlights were just halo madness. The daytime picture was overexposed and not very good either. It feels like they just jacked up the exposure so it can be marketed as a night camera...

I like the wifi feature but other than that, I felt like it was still not worth the sale price and definitely not worth msrp.