Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Nintendo Switch - Super Mario Party - Standard Edition - 35% off (also @ The Source)

[OP]
May 25, 2018
112 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Nintendo Switch - Super Mario Party - Standard Edition - 35% off (also @ The Source)

Physical deal, lowest I've seen.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gaming/n ... /108077316

The Source has it too.
Last edited by angel_wing0 on Mar 4th, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Discount stated on subject
35 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10093 posts
2735 upvotes
Montreal, QC
$53 at Walmart, lowest was $50
Sep 4, 2009
477 posts
270 upvotes
Calgary
I remember reading that this was the most disappointing Mario party. Not a lot of content for the price you pay and unlike other Nintendo franchises there’s no DLC to add to the game as well.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Dec 30, 2016
99 posts
86 upvotes
I've been waiting to get this game, you guys are saying it's not worth it?
[OP]
May 25, 2018
112 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
jorda13456 wrote: I've been waiting to get this game, you guys are saying it's not worth it?
I had fun playing with friends, kids enjoyed it also. But yeah like others said no DLC or new content to the game given the game is a few years old now.
Last edited by insomniaXVII on Mar 5th, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 8, 2016
227 posts
212 upvotes
while[1];do;done wrote: I remember reading that this was the most disappointing Mario party. Not a lot of content for the price you pay and unlike other Nintendo franchises there’s no DLC to add to the game as well.
Correct. You might grab it for the odd occasion you have family or friends to entertain, but the mini-games and the boards are dull and the lack of add-on content is inexplicable (especially when contrasted with a game like Mario Tennis).

Even at $50 I would not buy this game. Nintendo can do so much better when it comes to this series. The only part of this one which was 'super' was the let down.
Aug 23, 2017
2 posts
3 upvotes
It's a step up from the cart-based 9 and 10, but definitely not as hectic or fun as the N64 and GC Mario Party games.

There's only 4 main party boards, and they're all relatively small; to compensate, regular dice only go from 1-6 now (instead of 1-10), though you can also get allies (other playable characters that haven't been selected that session) which add to your rolls, except you can only gain them from Ally spaces, items, or as rewards (which are all potentially random, so there aren't any guarantees). Besides the regular dice, all the characters have their own personalized dice now (e.g. Shy Guy has a die that only has 4's and a single 0, DK has a die with +5 coins, 0, 0, 0, 10, 10), and you can use any Ally's dice as well.

There's also a cooperative river rafting game mode where you'll steer a raft with up to 4 people with motion controls and some decently fun coop minigames. Besides that there's a partner board mode (with teams of 2), and rather than defined paths like in party mode, there's grid-based movement. There's still only 4 boards in that game mode as well.

The biggest letdown is probably the lack of online board play: you can only play minigames.

Another thing to note is that you can only use half-joycons with the game and you can't use the pro controller or a pair of joycons.
Dec 4, 2011
297 posts
168 upvotes
Guelph
I case it's useful to anyone, Virgin is offering a promo "partner account" with The Source that offers certain discounts. (Note that it's not just a code; you have to create an account with The Source via the Virgin link, or convert your existing account and log in.)
EDIT: it looks like a few of the games are the same price as their public sale.

Just for reference:

Joy cons $79.99 (reg $100)
Switch Pro Controller $70.19 (reg $90)

Switch games for $51.99 (reg $80)
* Splatoon 2
* Yoshi's Crafted World
* Zelda: Links Awakening
* Fire Emblem Three Houses
* Mario Tennis Aces --> price also avail without Virgin log-in

* SM Maker 2 --> price also avail without Virgin log-in
* Luigi's Mansion 3 --> price also avail without Virgin log-in
* SM Party --> price also avail without Virgin log-in
The bottom 3 are even cheaper via the SDM points back sale: shoppers-drug-mart-select-nintendo-game ... m-2449334/
Last edited by AnnV11 on Mar 4th, 2021 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nov 10, 2015
75 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary
Yeah it's unfortunate that you need 4 joycons to play 4 player. I have no use for 4 joycons other than this game.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
1148 posts
168 upvotes
That game isnt even worth it at that price.
Heatware : Chuckdeg
Dec 10, 2019
91 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a decent game. It's boring pretty fast though. Only 4 maps to play. There's other small mini games but still..... Wife likes it though so we still play it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7270 posts
2106 upvotes
T dot 6
Game is a hard pass.

For 4 player couch co op fun look at "Death Squared". A fraction of the cost and way more enjoyable.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Feb 22, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
This game is absolutely not worth it. Worst game in the series. As others have mentioned, you need a joycon per person (can't use any other types of controllers). Maps are super small, and there are only 4 of them. I can go on, but just wanted to say I do not recommend this game even at this price.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1715 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
fun game for 4 players, if you dont have friends to play on a regular then don't bother.
Apr 3, 2005
696 posts
42 upvotes
Coming weekend Shoppers will have it for same price
Shoppers gonna have 3 games for this price
Super Mario Party, Luigi Mansion and one more

Hopefully there will be points promotion
P.S. : if you find lots of spelling mistakes in my above comment. This is what happens when you use the physical Keyboard (Blackberry) your whole life and then you have to settle with a virtual Keyboard.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1598 posts
911 upvotes
Langley
I picked it up for $99 with two extra joy cons (green and yellow) from Amazon Black Friday 2018 and I regret it... the extra joy cons were literally ONLY used for Mario Party and just collect dust as I have no other reason to have 4. Also, we played through pretty quickly so the game is just a repeat here on out and there is not nearly the dynamic nature of the previous games past, its very linear and doesn't have that super fun kind of suspense aspect I found with the others.
Jul 5, 2011
228 posts
103 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
games better then 9 & 10 (in game-board mode), but it has the least amount of content and gets old fast. Only worth it if it ever hits 20$ mark.
Jan 2, 2019
55 posts
194 upvotes
while[1];do;done wrote: I remember reading that this was the most disappointing Mario party. Not a lot of content for the price you pay and unlike other Nintendo franchises there’s no DLC to add to the game as well.
Just to add another opinion to the mix, I loved it. Really fun party game, and light years better than 10, 9 and even 8. It doesn’t beat the N64 or Gamecube ones but it’s still a great time.

Light on content and zero after release support and updates, but still totally worth it. I think they struck a great balance with the gameplay and MiniGames between pick up and play and hardcore mario party fans. The sales speak for themselves too.

The only let down IMO was the fact that there are too few boards. It just needed more content. But what’s there is really fun.