[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta

[Amazon.ca] NOCO 3500 3.5A Battery Charger/Maintainer - $57.35 - 32% Off

Just ordered one of these from Amazon.ca
Last edited by jackrabbit000 on Dec 14th, 2019 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
78 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21212 upvotes
Center of Universe
Good deal!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1591 posts
789 upvotes
Thanks op. Great price.

Got it to replace my 2A smart charger WITHOUT the desulphate/repair mode.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3800 posts
2454 upvotes
Ontario
I still wish I could find a decent place to mount this on my ford escape 2011. I live northern Ontario and my only issues in the Winter is my battery losing a bit of energy for short trips in the town. I kind of wanted to install it like my battery blanket.
---
Dec 2, 2008
28 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
My bad, for some reason i was thinking it was displaying CDN prices! Oooops
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1591 posts
789 upvotes
redblack wrote: Easy lifetime returns with Costco.
Lifetime returns?

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us. Akin to the 90-day electronics return policy.
Dec 13, 2005
408 posts
55 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
does anyone recall the price this was on sale for at cdn tire last week?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2700 posts
1879 upvotes
Looking for a charger to maintain battery when leaving car outside in winter unused for weeks. Is this or the Costco model suitable for winter outdoors use?
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Apr 14, 2006
803 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
redblack wrote: Easy lifetime returns with Costco.
In terms of performance?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1487 posts
317 upvotes
Is this good for helping the car battery start better? (a.k.a bring it back up to full charge)

When it gets really cold and I park in the outside commuter parking lot it tends to crank longer then normal to start... I wonder if this will help the battery if i plug this in at night in my garage. Thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
slidxe wrote: Is this good for helping the car battery start better? (a.k.a bring it back up to full charge)

When it gets really cold and I park in the outside commuter parking lot it tends to crank longer then normal to start... I wonder if this will help the battery if i plug this in at night in my garage. Thoughts?
It will but will depend on the condition of the battery and using a lighter oil in your car will probably help also.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1663 posts
1339 upvotes
I own this, very happy with the device, A+ !
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15948 posts
8816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
slidxe wrote: Is this good for helping the car battery start better? (a.k.a bring it back up to full charge)

Absolutely.

Battery performance drops like a rock in cold weather and most people's cars (ie over 90%) can't fully charge a battery. A fully charged battery in good condition (ie well taken care of with a low level of sulfation) should perform very well in extremely cold weather. As a bonus, batteries in good condition typically won't need to be constantly charged overnight in cold weather - just every week or two will be fine to top off the battery when it gets cold. To keep your battery running in good condition for as long as possible, charge the battery every few months in warmer weather as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15948 posts
8816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jackrabbit000 wrote: It will but will depend on the condition of the battery and using a lighter oil in your car will probably help also.
An older battery in poor condition won't hold a charge as well as the battery is probably sulfated to a certain degree so charging it every night will do wonders to how well that battery will perform during the day.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15948 posts
8816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bizzyseller wrote: Thanks op. Great price.

Got it to replace my 2A smart charger WITHOUT the desulphate/repair mode.
Don't put much faith on the built in desulfate/repair mode... The mode basically does an equalization charge - applies a higher than normal charging voltage (typically around 16V) in order to equalize the charge across all 6 cells in a 12V battery for between 2 to 4 hours. This will recovery some capacity from your battery (especially the first time you run it) but it won't help too much for a sulfated (heavily or light... won't matter).

I recently purchased an used Kirkland battery that is 6 months old which was rated for 640 CCA but only measured 540 CCA after charging with a standard dumb 10A charger. I then charged it up a CTEK MXS 5.0 with a manually engageable recondition mode which does approx the same thing as the repair mode on the NOCO - I got 550 CCA after reconditioning it twice. In other words, not much changed as the cells were pretty close to balanced. In a Youtube video, someone else used a similar CTEK charger's recondition mode on an older battery and it recovered 200CCA (about 1/4 of the original capacity) from that abused battery so the mode does work in certain situations.

Now you might be thinking that my battery is defective... Well, I used a desulfator which I built from a kit off of e-Bay for $12 US Shipped, ran it for 4 days (96 hours...), and the battery now measures 640 CCA so about 20 CCA per day.