• Mar 13th, 2021 12:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NOCO Boost Plus GB40 Automotive Lithium Jump Starter - $112.97

noco-boost-plus-gb40-112-97-amazon-ca-2 ... #p34120363

This deal was posted very recently (see above link), but the thread was moved to expired deals (I assume because the price went up). The price then came back down so I put in a report in with the mods to move the old thread back to hot deals, but that was over 7 hours ago and it hasn't been done yet.

Here is a pretty good video if you want to see it in action.
27 replies
Sep 26, 2013
147 posts
101 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've had mine for a few years. No problems. Used it a few times on my v6 Outlander and other people's cars without issue. As with all batteries of this type, don't leave it in your car in the winter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
Canadian204 wrote: As with all batteries of this type, don't leave it in your car in the winter.
I'm sure that a warm noco unit is better than a cold one, but aren't lithium batteries much more resistant to extreme temperatures than other battery types? My AA Energizer lithium batteries say they have "superior performance" from -40 to 140 F.
Nov 16, 2017
99 posts
68 upvotes
BC
In my experience using them at work in cordless tools and for solar sites, lithium batteries are not good at all in cold temperatures. The cold temperature rated solar ones have a heater built in to continue working.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1886 posts
355 upvotes
Alberta
Canadian204 wrote: I've had mine for a few years. No problems. Used it a few times on my v6 Outlander and other people's cars without issue. As with all batteries of this type, don't leave it in your car in the winter.
Anyone experience with this? Would be nice to leave it in the car and know it'll work. Check it every few months to top up the charge.
Aug 18, 2019
8 posts
18 upvotes
I picked up a GB40 around black friday, and initially left it in my car all the time and topped it up occasionally. But one morning during a week of -40, car wouldn't start. Pulled out the GB 40 and when tried to turn it on, it gave a red light. Figured it was the cold, so brought it inside until it was warm enough/red light went away, and then it worked like a charm. I plan to leave it in my car during the spring to fall months, but for winter (in Saskatchewan if that helps), I keep it inside my house when I am home, and I take a backpack with me to work and keep it in there
Mar 17, 2011
14 posts
16 upvotes
NS
It drops to this price every week or so on amazon. This is warm at best.
Mar 4, 2006
321 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
slosol wrote: I picked up a GB40 around black friday, and initially left it in my car all the time and topped it up occasionally. But one morning during a week of -40, car wouldn't start. Pulled out the GB 40 and when tried to turn it on, it gave a red light. Figured it was the cold, so brought it inside until it was warm enough/red light went away, and then it worked like a charm. I plan to leave it in my car during the spring to fall months, but for winter (in Saskatchewan if that helps), I keep it inside my house when I am home, and I take a backpack with me to work and keep it in there
The words Saskatchewan and winter combine to make this the extreme use case!!!

I don’t have this mode but have a similar Gooloo unit bought off Amazon and I have left it in both our cars here in ottawa and they have worked fine for us this far. We do bring them inside monthly and top op the charge. That said, I also usually park in the garage so they don’t typically see a cold soak for more than 7 consecutive hours.

I guess in dire straits your body heat could get the unit warm enough to get you back on the road.
Jun 5, 2010
45 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Saved my butt more than a few times now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
burkecross wrote: It drops to this price every week or so on amazon. This is warm at best.
You could look at it that way, but according to 3C, except for a very short blip (probably one day or less) back in November, the last time the price has been any lower was back in 2017.
Jan 24, 2016
78 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Canadian204 wrote: I've had mine for a few years. No problems. Used it a few times on my v6 Outlander and other people's cars without issue. As with all batteries of this type, don't leave it in your car in the winter.
I’ve had the GB40 for several years as well. I leave it in the car all year and just charge it when I swap tires and haven’t had any issues. I live in Ottawa and park in the garage for reference. I’ve used it a few times, often to help out neighbours.
Mar 4, 2006
321 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
ShingoHusky wrote: Watch this before purchasing

That’s a great test/video. Gooloo for the win.... except you can’t seem to buy it anymore.
Jul 24, 2005
315 posts
293 upvotes
GTA
Noco makes great batter chargers. I have been using many for well over a decade.

Not so good jump starters tho...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Noco makes great batter chargers. I have been using many for well over a decade.

Not so good jump starters tho...
I love Project Farm's review videos, but based on his findings, you'd think that the reviews from NOCO owners would be pretty mediocre, but the vast majority are very positive.
Feb 8, 2017
406 posts
294 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: Anyone experience with this? Would be nice to leave it in the car and know it'll work. Check it every few months to top up the charge.
My Gooloo booster has always been in my car. It worked even when - 27C this winter. The first boost when cold doesn't always work but it heats the battery up and the second or third time will work.

I bring it in once every few weeks to charge it up.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2074 posts
2323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SizzleChest wrote: I'm sure that a warm noco unit is better than a cold one, but aren't lithium batteries much more resistant to extreme temperatures than other battery types? My AA Energizer lithium batteries say they have "superior performance" from -40 to 140 F.
Had mine since Nov 2015, always kept in the car - no problems. Bought about another 4 over the last couple years as gifts. You are very right, no issues. Tho Toronto doesn't go past -20C during the cold days often

Jumped a kid overnight at 2am who was worried because the taxis he found kept asking for money/$20. Took a minute and he was so happy. Been through the days of having an old car with a battery that dies after the last start, the amount of people who went out of their way to assist with jumping and no $ in return to help me. Been giving it back and ask everyone here does the same, all it takes is a single running electronic or a bad battery.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4068 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
mattisgrat wrote: That’s a great test/video. Gooloo for the win.... except you can’t seem to buy it anymore.
I wonder why gooloo is gone, they spent years building up the brand.