NOCO GB50 Portable Car Jump Starter $146.35

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 7:28 pm
21 replies
Nov 9, 2017
176 posts
58 upvotes
Edmonton
I am looking to buy a jump starter. I like the one OP posted above and found others on Amazon as well. Can someone please share if they have any of these and how well they work and how long they last. Looking to buy one that would last me at least for 3 years or more. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Starter- ... 7421025011

https://www.amazon.ca/GOOLOO-SuperSafe- ... 7421025011

Koodo, Public Mobile, Telus, Tangerine Bank, HSBC, Mylo,
Drop, WealthSimple, Swagbucks, AwardWallet,
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3205 posts
1630 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anybody had to use one of these in the middle of winter when it is like -20C and when the battery pack has been sitting in the cold car for 1 hour?

I'm always wondering how well these work in the Canadian winters because that is actually when I would most likely need it.

I remember there was one video of some dude using it to start a snow covered subaru in his driveway. Then he actually used it in place of a battery and it still worked, but I can't remember what brand it was.
Last edited by eugene188 on Jul 25th, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1719 posts
303 upvotes
dealHunter9669 wrote: I am looking to buy a jump starter. I like the one OP posted above and found others on Amazon as well. Can someone please share if they have any of these and how well they work and how long they last. Looking to buy one that would last me at least for 3 years or more. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Starter- ... 7421025011

Have first one for 2 years now purchased for $62.99. Still working, used last month since car was parked for long period of time during pandemic. Also have 2 other gooloo boosters, purchased for less than $62.99 I believe approximately $50

https://www.amazon.ca/GOOLOO-20800mAh-S ... ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07Y1F4VF ... JlZGlyZWN0
Oct 5, 2005
222 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, just picked one up. Was waiting for the BoostHD to go on sale (2000 Amp) but I guess the 1500 Amp would boost most cars and trucks
Apr 6, 2020
68 posts
247 upvotes
Gooloo FTW. I have 2 of them and they are awesome
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2011 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
The Gooloo 2000A one is tempting. Any real world users?
Aug 3, 2019
678 posts
412 upvotes
Montreal
I have GOOLOO, it works great
May 28, 2015
156 posts
91 upvotes
Milton, ON

heres a video reviewing a bunch of these portable starters

tldr; the noco doesn't perform well. Could not turn over the drained battery in one test (it was at 7 volts) and it tested below average for amps compared to others.
amps/volts at 0F/-17C Image
Aug 4, 2004
879 posts
420 upvotes
Vancouver
I have one Noco, one gooloo. My noco sucks ass, my gooloo is still going strong.

Gooloo my brother uses works great, I just ordered a gooloo from another deal thread on here and honestly don't expect any letdown from it.

My Noco GB40 on the other hand is a giant paperweight. Can't boost a vehicle for the life of it.
Licensed Automotive Technician
Jan 28, 2014
663 posts
277 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: Has anybody had to use one of these in the middle of winter when it is like -20C and when the battery pack has been sitting in the cold car for 1 hour?

I'm always wondering how well these work in the Canadian winters because that is actually when I would most likely need it.

I remember there was one video of some dude using it to start a snow covered subaru in his driveway. Then he actually used it in place of a battery and it still worked, but I can't remember what brand it was.
I have used units like this in -40+C

Dead battery it will not work unless you use the battery override function (tries to boost even with too low charge)
Weak battery (car cranks but doesnt start) will 50/50 boost.

Make sure you get a booster with battery override or else it will not work and you will be stuck.
Jan 28, 2014
663 posts
277 upvotes
sphish wrote: I have one Noco, one gooloo. My noco sucks ass, my gooloo is still going strong.

Gooloo my brother uses works great, I just ordered a gooloo from another deal thread on here and honestly don't expect any letdown from it.

My Noco GB40 on the other hand is a giant paperweight. Can't boost a vehicle for the life of it.
I own a GB40 and I find you need to turn battery override on most of the time. Without it, it doesnt pump out enough power
Aug 4, 2004
879 posts
420 upvotes
Vancouver
STIGUY wrote: I own a GB40 and I find you need to turn battery override on most of the time. Without it, it doesnt pump out enough power
My GB40 worked fine for the first year, used it 4 times. Went rapidly downhill to the point where it just didn't have the juice to boost a lawnmower pretty much after the first year. Bought in 2014 or 2015 from Canadian tire. It still charges up but the output amperage and voltage fall off almost immediately.

My little gooloo is a veritable workhorse by comparison. I've used it on my car during the quarantine a simple of times, wife's car once, mother in law's once... Just the past 4 months alone. A 4 year old jumper that's seen half a dozen uses each year since I bought it.

Comparing the longevity and usability of either, I'd be hard pressed to consider the noco again but will gladly go back to gooloo.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3205 posts
1630 upvotes
Ottawa
sphish wrote:
My little gooloo is a veritable workhorse by comparison. I've used it on my car during the quarantine a simple of times, wife's car once, mother in law's once... Just the past 4 months alone. A 4 year old jumper that's seen half a dozen uses each year since I bought it.

Comparing the longevity and usability of either, I'd be hard pressed to consider the noco again but will gladly go back to gooloo.
I think you probably should buy a new car battery instead if you have had to boost it a couple of times. We haven't even got any cold weather. My car sat for a good couple of weeks and still had no problem starting.
STIGUY wrote: I have used units like this in -40+C

Dead battery it will not work unless you use the battery override function (tries to boost even with too low charge)
Weak battery (car cranks but doesnt start) will 50/50 boost.

Make sure you get a booster with battery override or else it will not work and you will be stuck.
cool thnx. I will need to look up this battery override function. did not know about it.
Aug 4, 2004
879 posts
420 upvotes
Vancouver
eugene188 wrote: I think you probably should buy a new car battery instead if you have had to boost it a couple of times. We haven't even got any cold weather. My car sat for a good couple of weeks and still had no problem starting.
cool thnx. I will need to look up this battery override function. did not know about it.
My car sat for 2 months each time. None of the cars has seen a gas station since March 15. It's not a battery issue so much as a not going anywhere issue. My car in particular has a Compustar 2 way remote starter, mother in law's car was caused by my son turning a dome light on in the back seat.

When you have a 3 year old a brand new battery won't solve that issue.
Apr 28, 2010
472 posts
572 upvotes
Terrace
STIGUY wrote: I own a GB40 and I find you need to turn battery override on most of the time. Without it, it doesnt pump out enough power
Shhhh don't tell them. They need to learn to read the manual.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15268 posts
6292 upvotes
Guys just buy a new battery for your car every 5 years. A new battery is cheaper than this product. And be careful with aftermarket stuff like remote starters. They can kill your battery with some type of drainage.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1959 posts
429 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: Guys just buy a new battery for your car every 5 years. A new battery is cheaper than this product. And be careful with aftermarket stuff like remote starters. They can kill your battery with some type of drainage.
True and better to use a battery maintainer rather than a booster if you plan on having your car sit for along amount of time.
Only if you are in safe distance of a plug.
I have known from the other noco threads in the past: Noco brand is good for battery tenders/maintainers.
Goolo are good for their boosters/car starters.
Banned
Jul 21, 2020
10 posts
8 upvotes
The only downside I see is that it says not to store in extreme temperatures.