Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black $119.95 / Hyper 212 Black Edition $39.99 @ CC

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 2:05 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
137 posts
105 upvotes
Markham

[Amazon.ca] Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black $119.95 / Hyper 212 Black Edition $39.99 @ CC

I just bought this Cooler for my next build.
the NH-D15 was on sale a few months ago for $129.95 noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black-dual-tower- ... 5-2393427/

NOTE: this is slightly different than the NH-D15 (both regular or chromax) D15S has better ram and PCI-E X16 clearance as it is asymmetrical (both link below has very good info on the diff between the two and D15S being better - you loose out about 1-3 c on high load with a single fan)
https://www.overclock.net/threads/nh-d1 ... k.1714154/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Noctua/comment ... x_upgrade/

If you want an alternative good cooler at a cheaper price . Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition .. canadas computer has it for $39.99 (-20 off) ... I have the regular Hyper 212 evo with I5 3570K from my 2011 build that i am still using now
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=125191
Images
  • 15S.jpg
11 replies
Oct 19, 2018
65 posts
46 upvotes
Is the Hyper 212 BE better than stock Wraith cooler on 3600 / 5600X?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1229 posts
238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'd still rather get the Dual fans version for only $10 more. If you don't have enough ram clearance for the second fan, you can always just remove the second fan and use it to replace a stock fan.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
137 posts
105 upvotes
Markham
MmmWaffles wrote: Is the Hyper 212 BE better than stock Wraith cooler on 3600 / 5600X?
Based on what I read from reddit . Hyper 212 is better than the stock AMD cooler - the stock cooler is fine if you dont overclock . but it tends to get loud as you start OC. for mild overclock the 212 is a very good option cost/perf ... hardcore overclock get Noctua or water cooling - but i like air cooling better . just my personal preference
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
137 posts
105 upvotes
Markham
pennywize wrote: I'd still rather get the Dual fans version for only $10 more. If you don't have enough ram clearance for the second fan, you can always just remove the second fan and use it to replace a stock fan.
I was looking at the regular D15 as well . since the additional fan is nice . but for a 1-3 c difference under heavy load . I'll rather take the new D15S since its newer with slight changes I think it would be a better future proof .... and you can always add a second fan down the road should you overclock harder.
and there isnt stock on the D15 black at the moment . so yeah thats why i pulled the trigger on this one
Oct 29, 2010
269 posts
341 upvotes
Quebec
Been running my i5-8600K at 4.7ghz with the hyper 212 evo for 2 years, good oc and no noise, its still an excellent cooler.
Sep 7, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
So is this a sale price? I tried looking on camel but it doesn't show amazons price history.

Also, will this big boy fit in a case that has sound dampening in it? I was looking at all the pretty Corsair colours but I realized that after about a week, it would probably just be an annoying distraction... The one exception, and I don't know where on YouTube I saw it, but someone had a case with light blue lighting, and it actually had thin electrical "lightning" that would jump from through several sections of the case before starting over. It may have been an effect added in post, or perhaps projected onto the glass? I don't know, but it was pretty cool looking.

Last question. Does this work with all modern Intel and AMD chips? I need to build a new system and I haven't decided on Intel or AMD.
It's a bit of a toss up. I do some gaming, but I don't get a lot of time for it anymore, and I'm not a big online FPS guy, but I do do photography for work and now some video, so I'm thinking AMD this time around...
Oct 9, 2017
134 posts
112 upvotes
If I want to use the second fan on the Noctua, I can only install a single stick of RAM in the 1st slot of my motherboard. I wonder how big the performance penalty would be... I can't find much relevant info online about performance between single rank, dual rank and dual channel, over the first two slots.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
137 posts
105 upvotes
Markham
skjohnson wrote: If I want to use the second fan on the Noctua, I can only install a single stick of RAM in the 1st slot of my motherboard. I wonder how big the performance penalty would be... I can't find much relevant info online about performance between single rank, dual rank and dual channel, over the first two slots.
You can move the second fan a bit higher to accommodate for a taller ram stick .... I wouldnt bother with a second fan at this point .. base on a lot of reviews .. the second fan only lowers your temp by 1-3 degree UNDER HEAVY LOAD .. so yeah .. single fan looks smaller and nicer . with an option to add a second one ONLY if needed
Nov 15, 2020
820 posts
467 upvotes
all the D-15 and variants allow you to shift the fan upwards (attach fan cliip higher on the heatsink) so that the heatsink doesnt touch the fan. The ability to do this depends clearance on (the side of) your case. You can take a look at the measurements of your case and also on noctua's site to figure it out.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
137 posts
105 upvotes
Markham
Darkmatterx76 wrote: So is this a sale price? I tried looking on camel but it doesn't show amazons price history.

Also, will this big boy fit in a case that has sound dampening in it? I was looking at all the pretty Corsair colours but I realized that after about a week, it would probably just be an annoying distraction... The one exception, and I don't know where on YouTube I saw it, but someone had a case with light blue lighting, and it actually had thin electrical "lightning" that would jump from through several sections of the case before starting over. It may have been an effect added in post, or perhaps projected onto the glass? I don't know, but it was pretty cool looking.

Last question. Does this work with all modern Intel and AMD chips? I need to build a new system and I haven't decided on Intel or AMD.
It's a bit of a toss up. I do some gaming, but I don't get a lot of time for it anymore, and I'm not a big online FPS guy, but I do do photography for work and now some video, so I'm thinking AMD this time around...

1) I dont know if is sale or regular price as this item seems to be newly added on amazon on Oct. 28 2020 ... but looking at the D15 sale price of 129.99 . i would think 119.99 its a sale price
2) This will fit most mid cases ... check your case max width/high and see if it fits
3) It does work with the new intel and amd chip ... also .. if future releases of new chip doesnt fit. you can email noctua for a new bracket . honestly .. if you dont OC hard or do heavy gaming .. the Hyper 212 is more than enough

I was thinking of getting the 212 but i have one already right now and i wanted to see how good this Noctua going to be. im gonna drop it in hopefully it last me 10 years without issues just like the hyper 212
Oct 9, 2017
134 posts
112 upvotes
otakuz wrote: You can move the second fan a bit higher to accommodate for a taller ram stick .... I wouldnt bother with a second fan at this point .. base on a lot of reviews .. the second fan only lowers your temp by 1-3 degree UNDER HEAVY LOAD .. so yeah .. single fan looks smaller and nicer . with an option to add a second one ONLY if needed
Thanks for the feedback on the temp decrease under heavy load... I can't fit the fan in a closed case, if I raise the fan up, which is why I was pondering it. Might be hard to tell in the pic, but the first fan probably only has a few mm clearance, as it is, in a basic NZXT 510i case.
B3CB6AA2-616F-4532-8179-845B06FF1995.jpeg