Oct 14, 2009
336 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Nvidia Shield with Game Controller 229.99

Got a price drop alert for anyone who was waiting for a sale on these
Images
  • 31QpTa2s4gL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Last edited by Dread_Mannequin on Apr 23rd, 2019 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------------------------
Contest Prizes: 2 Person Pass to Movie (JOBS), Method Laundry Products for 1 Year ($250 value), Passes to see WWE RAW in Toronto Star Private Box ($300 Value)
69 replies
Jan 16, 2011
413 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
I got this last year at similar price. Not only it's a very good Android TV media player/streaming device, it includes a few free GeForce Now games streaming over broadband. Built-in microphone on both remotes enable Google Assistant. There is even a SmartThings adapter.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6724 posts
7048 upvotes
It's a great device, but the pricing is 2018. We need a sweetener.
Nov 2, 2012
836 posts
1076 upvotes
Winnipeg
The price should drop further than this to be a great deal (okay price, but was the same last year). Also given all of the rumours of a next gen unit coming. This should be sub $200 by now for this combo.

The price probably dropped because it's also part of the Best Buy VIP promo going on now, which has the same price in store and online.
Mar 7, 2011
535 posts
337 upvotes
Ice cold. Got this for $180 last year.

Love the device. Make sure to get some good apps!
May 20, 2004
525 posts
141 upvotes
tunda11 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:30 am
Ice cold. Got this for $180 last year.

Love the device. Make sure to get some good apps!
You got the controller version for $180?

Solid device. Bunch of good free games with Geforce now. Can emulate up to gamecube/dreamcast generation well. I bought this at around this price with no regrets.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2009
336 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
bigdaddyyc wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:48 am

Solid device. Bunch of good free games with Geforce now. Can emulate up to gamecube/dreamcast generation well. I bought this at around this price with no regrets.
Yeah I think the best price which sold out quickly for controller version LY was 209.99. and that's like Christmas time pricing vs we are in the first half of the year when promos aren't on the same level. $180 had to be the not controller version or super YMMV combined some additional coupon somewhere to get it.
------------------------------------------------
Contest Prizes: 2 Person Pass to Movie (JOBS), Method Laundry Products for 1 Year ($250 value), Passes to see WWE RAW in Toronto Star Private Box ($300 Value)
Sep 1, 2015
9 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
When you have no competition, you can charge whatever you like. Wish this was just a bit cheaper. Good deal, but not good enough for me to leave my mibox.
Mar 2, 2006
260 posts
19 upvotes
People on here are salty af.
OPs deal is fine. However, I would recommend to get the non controller version and get an Xbox one controller instead.

Also there was rumour of them updating the remote.

So keep these in mind.
Mar 7, 2011
535 posts
337 upvotes
bigdaddyyc wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:48 am

Either $180 or $190, not gonna bother looking into it. I remember paying $10 more than the lowest price for non-controller, which was $170. Newegg discount stacked with Best Buy price match discount, which is always on the table since bestbuy is always late to the party.

Haven’t used the controller once however, it’s a piss poor gaming device.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1699 posts
184 upvotes
k4zz4m wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 9:03 am
People on here are salty af.
OPs deal is fine. However, I would recommend to get the non controller version and get an Xbox one controller instead.

Also there was rumour of them updating the remote.

So keep these in mind.
How is it salty to have a discussion (on discussion forum) about realistic, competitive pricing as consumers?

I honestly am glad to know that it was once sold for 180$ and that there's a new possible model coming out - because you know, being informed before making a decision is a good thing.
RFD Damage since August '08 = lost track
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2785 posts
748 upvotes
norgos wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 11:06 am
How is it salty to have a discussion (on discussion forum) about realistic, competitive pricing as consumers?

I honestly am glad to know that it was once sold for 180$ and that there's a new possible model coming out - because you know, being informed before making a decision is a good thing.
You hit the nail on the head. Historical pricing is the only true measure of whether pricing is "hot" or not. People constantly make jokes about time machines and mock others that point out that an item has been listed at a historically-lower price but the low water mark is the actual "regular" price. Without a running tally of low water mark pricing, RFD turns into a glorified retail flyer where everything is "hot" because the retailer claims things are "on sale".
Nov 27, 2013
168 posts
32 upvotes
2015 price. We need better Android Boxes to compete with it to bring this to say $150
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2785 posts
748 upvotes
saulin wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 5:05 pm
2015 price. We need better Android Boxes to compete with it to bring this to say $150
I agree. For the current asking price, in most use cases, you'd be better off buying an Xbox.
Aug 6, 2013
16 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Good device...
Best for IPTV set-up
Make sure to connect directly for GeForce now.
I got for 184.99 w BB protection plan @ BB
I believe it was pm with Canada computer on black Friday sale