Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NVIDIA SHIELD Pro back in-stock $259.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 7:10 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
andsoitgoes wrote: My thing is that I need a device that will be able to run Atmos stuff. No other players on the market do it.

I also have faith that the OSMC team is going to keep working and get DV going.

Thing is every other device has ports of the media players, but the Vero has OSMC as its base.

I’ve messed around with Pi units before and while the odroid is nice, the support just isn’t fast enough for my liking.
s905x3 does atmos in coreelec.

dolby is a strict licensed vehicle. vero is an opensource device that the top box runs an older s905 soc(d version tho) that has no DV license. The best any can do need dv license. The newer xiaomi sticks etc run s905y2 vs s905x/d etc becuase they have have dv license.

the issue with vero 4k+ for me is they sell an a53 soc at odroid n2 a73/53 soc price? while an s905x3 playbacks aswell as the s922 soc at a fraction of the price and is a newer a55 soc with gavlin gpu and usb 3.0. Which will last longer? an s905x4 with av1 support or devices that support hd subscription subs natively.

I like osmc. I run it on older rpi's because sam went the mile to add more peripheral support when people asked.
Last edited by lead on Jul 11th, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4969 posts
5086 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nairbod wrote: If you want to play 4K files on Plex, play games or use it as a Plex server, get the Pro. If it's strictly an upscale box for streaming services and 1080p Plex files, the Tube ought to be fine
OK, thanks, I think I will get the Tube one, since I don't even have 4K TV, this is kind of product I don't want to future proof. When I get 4K TV, most likely there will be newer model.
Plus I can move the Tube to other TV set to use.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10003 posts
2841 upvotes
Montreal
cheapshopper wrote: If I only use for Netflix and Plex, do I need the Pro model? Or I can go with the stick one??
Warning. The Tube version of the new Nvidia Shield is 32-bit Android. That might be a big mistake buying this.

- 32-bit apps will be PHASED out of the regular Google PlayStore by 2021, so this thing will be useless to side load apps from the regular Playstore!!! https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/1 ... be-64-bit/ Let's hope it doesn't apply to the Android TV store anytime soon or this will be a very expensive brick.

- Plex Server will NEVER run on this (player does work)
- There is no USB port, so to side side APK's, you have to use Micro SD cards. It's also annoying that I can't use my Microsoft Keyboard with it, it has a usb dongle. So I had to buy a bluetooth keyboard.

Dumbest move ever Nvidia making the tube version 32-bit Android in 2019!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5816 posts
3156 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Twism wrote: Can the non pro play 4k hdr files from an attached hard drive okay? Also I read it doesn't support youtube HDR. Thats dissapointing.
There is no USB port on non-Pro so you are unable to attach an HDD.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3942 posts
1392 upvotes
Belle River
DannyH17 wrote: Definitely get the PRO if you're looking to play 4k HDR/Dolby Vision files.
Just want to emphasize FILES, for anyone that gets a Shield expecting to play files that are MP4 Dolby Vision Bluray rips, they won't work. If you search for Shield dual-layer Dolby you will find a bunch of discussions about it.

I didn't know this detailed stuff before getting a Shield, but the Shield only supports what they call "single-layer" Dolby Vision which is the type used by streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, etc. Bluray discs use dual-layer and the Shield cannot play them. If I understood correctly this is not something Nvidia can just "fix" because it involves the underlying Dolby Vision support in Android, and is also a licensing issue. Supposedly there is no reason to license a set-top-box media player like the Shield to play dual-layer Dolby Vision content because there's no disc drive and discs are the only place where dual-layer is used.

The only hope I could find was people were figuring out a way to process those files into an MKV that retains the Dolby Vision content but somehow places it into a single-layer format that these set-top-boxes (and apparently Plex, etc.) will be able to play. I think it will require the MKV people to add new features, and might take awhile. I don't know enough to explain this properly, here's one of the threads I found about it: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=705
Feb 10, 2008
500 posts
181 upvotes
Ottawa
hystavito wrote: Just want to emphasize FILES, for anyone that gets a Shield expecting to play files that are MP4 Dolby Vision Bluray rips, they won't work. If you search for Shield dual-layer Dolby you will find a bunch of discussions about it.

I didn't know this detailed stuff before getting a Shield, but the Shield only supports what they call "single-layer" Dolby Vision which is the type used by streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, etc. Bluray discs use dual-layer and the Shield cannot play them. If I understood correctly this is not something Nvidia can just "fix" because it involves the underlying Dolby Vision support in Android, and is also a licensing issue. Supposedly there is no reason to license a set-top-box media player like the Shield to play dual-layer Dolby Vision content because there's no disc drive and discs are the only place where dual-layer is used.

The only hope I could find was people were figuring out a way to process those files into an MKV that retains the Dolby Vision content but somehow places it into a single-layer format that these set-top-boxes (and apparently Plex, etc.) will be able to play. I think it will require the MKV people to add new features, and might take awhile. I don't know enough to explain this properly, here's one of the threads I found about it: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=705
I actually just spent the last weekend testing this very thing with my LG 4K LED TV using an nvidia shield tv 2019 tube (the pros were out of stock and I just wanted to test DV)

It's true that the DL DV Mp4 files do not play on the shield, actually they do play, but just in "normal HDR" not DV like they should. They do however play properly natively on LG TV's using the plex app on my TV (any LG TV 2016 or newer should support DL DV codec in the SoC, although the 2016/2017 model are limited to DV at 30hz, in 2018 I believe they upgraded it to DV 60hz support for xbox one DV Support which my 2016 tv doesn't support as it's 30hz only). However my TV only supports ARC and not earc so I can only run 5.1 audio back to the amp which sucks and defeats the point to lose HD audio for DV video. The mp4 don't support lossless audio in the mp4 package so these rips only support 7.1 LPCM, DD+ or DTS:MA, no ATMOS :(

They have actually already figured out how to remux the DL DV UHD Blurays into TS files that supports single layer DV as well as ATMOS and this actuallys plays on the shield and triggers DV on my TV as well as bitstreams TrueHD ATMOS to my amp. So it is possible to use DV on a shield, it just has to be converted and remuxed using some tools. I believe it's all documented in the makemkv forums.

Also they have already figured out how to get DV and ATMOS into a MKV container, apparently they are in the process of modifying the exoplayer to support DV in an MKV package along with lossless audio. When this finally happens (should be within the next few months) they will be able to create 1 click tools to rip UHD Bluray including the DV into files that the shield can play despite the lack of the DL DV codec support in the player. So don't shy away from buying a shield due to lack of DL DV, it won't be a problem for long and the shield is still the best all around media/steaming device you can own.

my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
yuprules wrote: Warning. The Tube version of the new Nvidia Shield is 32-bit Android. That might be a big mistake buying this.

- 32-bit apps will be PHASED out of the regular Google PlayStore by 2021, so this thing will be useless to side load apps from the regular Playstore!!! https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/1 ... be-64-bit/ Let's hope it doesn't apply to the Android TV store anytime soon or this will be a very expensive brick.

- Plex Server will NEVER run on this (player does work)
- There is no USB port, so to side side APK's, you have to use Micro SD cards. It's also annoying that I can't use my Microsoft Keyboard with it, it has a usb dongle. So I had to buy a bluetooth keyboard.

Dumbest move ever Nvidia making the tube version 32-bit Android in 2019!
Hymm. The Netflix App if I remember correctly is still only 32bit. It's one reason why most coreelec and libreelec builds are still 32bit.As many licensed subbed apps are still 32bit. Even in 64bit in windows it runs in 32bit compatibility mode to work.

Why can't the Plex server not run? Most home the files for the Plex servers run off a nas anyway. Isn't it even preinstalled on the 2019 version?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5816 posts
3156 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
lead wrote: Hymm. The Netflix App if I remember correctly is still only 32bit. It's one reason why most coreelec and libreelec builds are still 32bit.As many licensed subbed apps are still 32bit. Even in 64bit in windows it runs in 32bit compatibility mode to work.

Why can't the Plex server not run? Most home the files for the Plex servers run off a nas anyway. Isn't it even preinstalled on the 2019 version?
It is pre-installed in the Pro but can not be run on the tube.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1481 posts
1265 upvotes
Vancouver
lead wrote: Why can't the Plex server not run? Most home the files for the Plex servers run off a nas anyway. Isn't it even preinstalled on the 2019 version?
My guess is that as tube only has 2gb ram which is not enough to keep running background service adequately whilst still satisfying running apps on the device.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2931 posts
1319 upvotes
I still don't understand what the Nvidia shield pro actually does?

It's not functional like the old Shield tablets where you could download torrents and stream them to a tv. Is this simply a replacement for the built-in smart features?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1152 posts
447 upvotes
GTA, ON
To add to the questions here, I was considering to pick this up with it's primary purpose of running Plex server (with a 6 TB external HDD connected to it)

I am currently doing this with a 2012 mac mini which is running Plex server and for most part is doing that well (except that sometimes it goes to sleep).

I am wondering if anybody would recommend buying this as an upgrade over mac mini for plex server purpose alone?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11572 posts
3968 upvotes
Winnipeg
ChicoQuente wrote:
It is pre-installed in the Pro but can not be run on the tube.
Cannot? As in prohibited prevented or it crashes after awhile?
wolfpack27616 wrote: To add to the questions here, I was considering to pick this up with it's primary purpose of running Plex server (with a 6 TB external HDD connected to it)

I am currently doing this with a 2012 mac mini which is running Plex server and for most part is doing that well (except that sometimes it goes to sleep).

I am wondering if anybody would recommend buying this as an upgrade over mac mini for plex server purpose alone?
There are 50 buck sbc's that can do that instead and run dockers for more stuff too.
a_dee wrote: My guess is that as tube only has 2gb ram which is not enough to keep running background service adequately whilst still satisfying running apps on the device.
Interesting.Thats some serious draining of ram by back ground services for a gig to decide that. Irun a jellyfin and alot of other dockers off a libreelec build on only 2gig Rk3399.

Specs wise it has 8gig nand? True? That'll crash it with large library in android.
May 27, 2011
520 posts
549 upvotes
Montreal
Deemo wrote: Is this a deal?
Because I thought this was Red Flag *DEALS*.
The reason this is a deal ... :)
nvidia deal.jpg
Apr 21, 2017
577 posts
714 upvotes
Chelsea
I thought this was a gaming console replacement.. is it simply like the Android version on an Apple TV 4K ?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10003 posts
2841 upvotes
Montreal
lead wrote: Hymm. The Netflix App if I remember correctly is still only 32bit. It's one reason why most coreelec and libreelec builds are still 32bit.As many licensed subbed apps are still 32bit. Even in 64bit in windows it runs in 32bit compatibility mode to work.

Plex company says you can't run it on the tubed version, maybe because it is 32-bit? Another reason why the tube version sucks. They didn't say why:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/cannot-install ... ion/575151
Jul 20, 2016
343 posts
310 upvotes
As an Nvidia/4k Firestick and Xiaomi owner I can say this. If you have the cash buy the Nvidia. Its second to none and great for gaming. If you like bang for the buck the Amazon 4k Firestick wins hands down but only if you dont need gaming. The Xiaomi is still solid but no updates in a long time and just not as hip as Nvidia and 4k stick. Picture quality is fantastic on all 3. Audiophiles will want Nvidia if they have the set up.