Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Nvidia Shield Remote 39.99 (ships within 1-2 months)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 9:07 pm
[OP]
Oct 20, 2019
155 posts
227 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] Nvidia Shield Remote 39.99 (ships within 1-2 months)

It's been out of stock for a while on Amazon, and afaik not available anywhere except Nvidia's website where they charge around $60 for shipping!

I saw it once on Amazon for 49.99 but it quickly got sold out. 3rd party sellers started posting it for $100+ !!

Nvidia's latest software update added some useful features for the remote, so it's become more useful - especially for folks who still use the 2015-2017 remote like me.

Shipping note: Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
73 replies
Aug 24, 2019
145 posts
113 upvotes
I still use the old remote that came with the old shield. What are the benefits of using this new remote?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1200 posts
223 upvotes
Super duper THANKS OP! Finally able to order this thing!!! Hated the shipping cost from nVidia. I have the tube with this remote and love it! It's especially good with the latest shield update. Now I can finally upgrade my older shields with this remote.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8611 posts
4981 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, was waiting for Amazon to stock it. My 2017 remote crapped out and nvidia had ridiculous shipping.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2019
155 posts
227 upvotes
Ottawa
HawaiianGate wrote: I still use the old remote that came with the old shield. What are the benefits of using this new remote?
  • Uses 2xAAA batteries
  • Doesn't scratch wooden tables (lol this is more like a personal issue)
  • Can be programmed to change TV input (which is currently the only thing preventing me from getting rid of my TV remote)
  • Has dedicate volume buttons (I'm fine with the touch slider, but sometimes it doesn't register, or it registers few steps up/down + the issue of accidental touching = waking up Shield = TV on)
  • More physical buttons (which I assume could be re-programmed to do different functions using the button remapper app in the playstore)
  • Backlit buttons!

Feel free to add if I missed any.
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1200 posts
223 upvotes
HawaiianGate wrote: I still use the old remote that came with the old shield. What are the benefits of using this new remote?
Some stuff that I find nice:
1. VOLUME button. None of this sliding / accidentally tapping issue like I have with the original thin remote.
2. Illumiated backlight (yes!)
3. Menu button can be programmed for other functions, call apps, etc. This really helps out. You can set functions for tapping once, twice, or holding button down.
4. I really like the feel (yes, I know some folks hate the triangular prism but once you get used to it, it's pretty nice).
5. Much harder to lose than the older remote since it's heftier and it also has a locate feature.
6. Uses AAA batteries. Yes, that's actually good. So far, the battery life is great too.
7. One of my pet peeves is solved - doesn't lose sync with shield. My old one would sometimes lose sync since I sit further away than average (about 17 feet away).
8. You can change TV input.
9. Forgot - Fast forward / rewind / play|pause buttons (i.e. more buttons!).

PET PEEVE: I hate the Netflix button (especially since it's the largest button - I hate you NETFLIX for requiring that!) , but some folks may like it. You can, however, reprogram that button via an app to use it for something else.
NOTE: Some folks have an issue with the button arrangement, especially fast forward, rewind, play. To be honest, I feel the fireTV has a better button arrangement.

That's off the top of my head, but I totally love this remote. At first I wasn't so sure, but it really grew on me. FYI, before the update there were volume stepping issues which has now been resolved. It no longer takes forever to turn up the volume on my Marantz receiver. (used to take 20 seconds to raise / lower 10 decibels prior)
Jan 9, 2014
533 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
does Nvidia warrently cover remote if it broke within 2 years?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1359 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough
My 2017 remote crapped as well.. Downloaded the nvidia remote app. It does its job...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1073 posts
736 upvotes
Whitby
Can this remote act as an all in one? My setup is pretty simple, shield connected to TV via Yamaha receiver. Currently using Caavo, but the mic on its remote is useless without a subscription so planning to replace it.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Jun 10, 2003
690 posts
258 upvotes
I will try this out but it kinda feels like this should have been the remote they included with the shield to begin with.
Apr 27, 2012
609 posts
326 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone use this in addition to the harmony remote?
Oct 14, 2017
762 posts
817 upvotes
benzylique wrote: Does anyone use this in addition to the harmony remote?
I have the Harmony Elite, but prefer to use the Nvidia remote as it's smaller.
Sep 7, 2006
894 posts
537 upvotes
I have the shield gen 1 and the original remote sucks completely. Even this redesigned one is poorly laid out. If you want the best alternative remote then get the Amazon fire tv remote with voice This for the same price.

Trade off cons:
* No IR for input change (my shield is the only unit attached to the tv)
* No backlight
* Voice doesn't work

Pros:
* LAYOUT - the exact reason why were jumping ship from the shield. Everything is laid out easily enough to remember because it makes sense. You won't need backlight for this very reason and worth the trade off.
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Sep 26th, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20722 posts
14556 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
IceCreamGee wrote: If you want the best alternative remote then get the Amazon fire tv remote with voice for the same price.
Thanks. I've been using the Amazon remote with Shield for a couple of years now. That answers the main question I had about the new Shield review.

BTW for others, the Amazon remote goes on sale regularly for half price, e.g. Prime day, BF, BD, etc. when the rest of the Amazon stuff goes on sale. That's the best time to buy it.
No backlight. You won't need backlight for this very reason and worth the trade off.
Agreed. It's easy to operate using only finger memory.

One thing to keep in mind with the Amazon remote is that it's Bluetooth. It occasionally loses connection with the Shield, e.g. after an update. You have to keep the OEM Shield remote handy in order to reinitiate the pairing process.
veni, vidi, Visa