• Oct 19th, 2017 11:29 pm
[OP]
Feb 15, 2011
286 posts
91 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Nvidia Shield TV (2017) - $270.04 - Amazon.ca

Hello,

Might be helpful for someone.

I've been shopping around for an Nvidia Shield TV, and it's my understanding that they don't go on sale too often.

Last week Amazon's price was $289.99 - I bought from Canada Computers for $279.99

Now I notice that Amazon has the Shield TV for $270.04

A decent amount of savings for the top of the line Android TV device - Total after taxes is just over $300.
128 replies
Sep 3, 2012
90 posts
31 upvotes
Kitchener
I currently own two and I cannot tell you how amazing these units are for streaming (kodi). Great find poster....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5483 posts
2299 upvotes
velvethammer wrote: I currently own two and I cannot tell you how amazing these units are for streaming (kodi). Great find poster....
Well, I hope you don't only use it to stream Kodi since $50 box would work the same way only for that :)
Dec 10, 2014
44 posts
50 upvotes
Lake Echo, NS
Android TV from Google and those $50 boxes you're talking about are completely different things
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20099 posts
5529 upvotes
Good Morning
lifeisfuneh wrote: Well, I hope you don't only use it to stream Kodi since $50 box would work the same way only for that :)
Once you go fast you can't go back!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5483 posts
2299 upvotes
w0244133 wrote: Android TV from Google and those $50 boxes you're talking about are completely different things
Not if you use it for streaming Kodi ONLY
[OP]
Feb 15, 2011
286 posts
91 upvotes
velvethammer wrote: I currently own two and I cannot tell you how amazing these units are for streaming (kodi). Great find poster....
I used to own the 2015 Shield TV but did a straight trade for a PS4...Now I've done a straight trade for my PS4 for the 2017 Shield TV...Hah - I love the game streaming, Hyperspin, and Kodi of course is great. And the app support is great (YouTube etc...) puts the other boxes to shame.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20099 posts
5529 upvotes
Good Morning
Don't forget about Chromecasting!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5483 posts
2299 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Once you go fast you can't go back!
Not much difference if you have fast internet connection
ONCE AGAIN MY POINT WAS IF YOU USE IT FOR STREAMING KODI ONLY

I do realize that Android TV is way better then no name box if you use HD Netflix, gaming...
This is great console if you use it for all the other features it offers.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11731 posts
3100 upvotes
And just to confirm, this package includes the remote and the game controller???
What are the specs on this, I know they claim to be 3x faster than the competition, but what are the true specs?
I would most likely be using for Kodi, netflix, and youtube... currently have Google Nexus player and am picking up Mi box, next time in the US... both running official Android TV.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20099 posts
5529 upvotes
Good Morning
jackass_ca wrote: And just to confirm, this package includes the remote and the game controller???
What are the specs on this, I know they claim to be 3x faster than the competition, but what are the true specs?
I would most likely be using for Kodi, netflix, and youtube... currently have Google Nexus player and am picking up Mi box, next time in the US... both running official Android TV.
Yeah the 2017 version includes the controller and remote.

Specs is Nvidia tegra similar to their tablets. There's tons of info online you can look up.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1650 posts
1351 upvotes
has anyone experienced any freezing/crashing while playing local videos (thru usb drive) using kodi on the shield?

Been looking for a solid kodi media player for years that can do this. Thought the shield could handle this but read some people were still getting the same problem which leads me to believe it's an issue with kodi/xbmc
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=260181

Tested countless usb drives. Although thumbdrives and sd cards work, never had any luck with portable or desktop drives which randomly freeze whenever media is played from a connected source.
Always hungry ;)
May 23, 2016
184 posts
80 upvotes
My wallet hates you .... thanks :)
Dec 2, 2016
239 posts
239 upvotes
I don't own one of these yet myself, as the price is a little steep for my wallet right now, but having done a fair amount of research on the matter, I have found the consensus to be that these are pretty much the tippy-tops in set-top streamers. Waiting for a bigger price drop though.
Jun 19, 2011
114 posts
144 upvotes
WINNIPEG
jackass_ca wrote: And just to confirm, this package includes the remote and the game controller???
Just as an FYI, I was waiting for my next trip to the US to pick up a Mi Box but unfortunately my box died. I ended up picking up the Mi Box from NCIX which is the international model but it is still running android TV and the only discernible difference I could find through my online searches was that the plug was different (NCIX provided an adapter). If anyone knows something I don't as far as differences, please feel free to educate me!

Absolutely loving it so far, Android TV is silky and the Mi Box is much better in my opinion than purchasing a new box for $50-$80 every 8 months.
Mar 23, 2008
26 posts
9 upvotes
Nice machine to run Mame4droid and PPSSPP apps. The only PSP game that I have trouble to run is Grand Turismo ( hope someone know how to change the setting within to make it work)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11183 posts
3687 upvotes
Bought one at launch - highly recommended. Works great - blows everything else out of the water.

That said - it's also the most expensive. LOL.
Nov 30, 2005
336 posts
170 upvotes
North York
have one.. love it .. but no amazon prime app on it.. grrr .. maybe side load?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2602 posts
1342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah, I'd have to agree. This is a lot of money for a KODI only device and most people would not use it for anything but KODI.