Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nvidia Shield TV 2019 $169.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 6:14 pm
Jan 29, 2004
500 posts
413 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: I know a lot of people only look at the Shield as the best media streamer out there, but if you're into gaming don't loose sight of this thing as an awesome gaming device too. It has the Nvidia cloud gaming service (like Stadia), and also Steam Link where you can play most Steam games from your PC streamed on your TV. I'm a pretty casual gamer and had a couple consoles just collecting dust - sold both consoles, put shields on all our TVs and now I can use bluetooth xbox controllers to play games anywhere in the house without having to lug around a console.

Sure you could argue console vs. steam game libraries are different, but I'm only a casual gamer, so Steam gave me everything I wanted when I want to pass the time with some games or when we want to get something multi-player going when friends come over without the expense of owning a console and buying expensive console titles all the time.
You can stream steam games on firestick as well, works great.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2009
6106 posts
7131 upvotes
Whitby
This deal is money. I paid 2x for this device a few years ago and it is my go to after my dlink boxee died. This is one of the best android devices and it is loaded with features. GET it.
Jul 21, 2005
283 posts
348 upvotes
holy_pyro wrote: 5Ghz network should be able to do it fine.
A network being on 5GHz doesn't mean it's fast, nor does it mean your tv is close to an access point and has a good connection to it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1471 posts
2775 upvotes
Ontario
frenetic26 wrote: You can stream steam games on firestick as well, works great.
I'd have to assume Firestick lacks GeforceNOW cloud gaming though, no? I believe that's a nvidia exclusive service.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
golden wrote: Lack of Chromecast functionality in Firestick is definitely a dealbreaker for some people. Also the Nvidia is much faster. I have both so I know.
I have both Fire Stick 4k and The shield and don't notice any difference in speed when streaming Netflix 4k, prime, or playing back videos in 4k, and the menus are buttery smooth for both.

I prefer the interface of the shield but that's about it.

I paid $35 for the fire stick 4k, and $200 for the Shield.

The only thing I like about the shield is the Chrome cast...but I would rather have the Chrome cast 4k for $60 (staples previous deals) which is easier to take on trips use in hotels or places without wifi such as cottage country.

I am NOT a gamer, even though I have a library of steam games, but don't have a computer with Nvidia to stream them to Shield from.

Definitely recommend for the streaming user to buy Fire TV 4k stick over Nvidia shield.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jan 29, 2004
500 posts
413 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: I'd have to assume Firestick lacks GeforceNOW cloud gaming though, no? I believe that's a nvidia exclusive service.
that is correct!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Does the shield still have terrible atmos support for streaming services?
May 28, 2012
362 posts
349 upvotes
Montreal
good question, I sold the previous gen, and went back to atv because of that.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
I got the 2017 Pro and can vouch that Nvidia is doing things right. I tried Amazon stick, hated it, tried few other higher end Android boxes, hated them, I almost went Apple TV route but didn't want to be limited. Shield is by far the best media streaming device out there. I'm tempted to cover rest of the bedrooms.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1174 posts
959 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're playing local high bitrate media, the Shield wins over the Firestick. If you're not then save the money and just use the Firestick.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
Comment from November 2019

"32bit app only + issues with dolby vision on launch is just a dealbreaker
32bit app only + issues with dolby vision on launch is just a dealbreaker - come on, you guys basically updated it to support dolby vision and ai scale. 1. dolby vision is not working correctly with auto color space switching. lol. they released hotfix but even that is not working correctly. 2. 32bit app support is a joke when previous nvidia shield and the 2019 pro all use 64bit. i understand that nvidia did this for 2gb ram size but they should just put 3gb for the tube and 4gb for the pro. so cheap. 3. ai scale only works on up to 30fps. let's make it work properly on all fps or at least up to 60fps. 4. no youtube hdr. because no vp9.2 hardware decoding."
-ZdpZ... ;)
Mar 7, 2011
23 posts
44 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote: FYI, this Shield (Tube) doesn't have Plex server. Only the Pro does which is not on sale. I personally would spend the extra for the Pro version.
What's the difference between pro and non pro? Other then running your own Plex server?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
klamyo wrote: If its for media streaming and kodi I recommend trying out a fire tv 4k to see if it fits your needs.

For myself, I have absolutely no benefits using shield tv 2017 vs firestick 4k,
I use plex, kodi, netflix, youtube, amazon prime on both of them. My Plex server runs on a NAS.
I second this opinion. I actually prefer the 4K UI as well as its more content centric, just wish it was less Amazon centric. I do feel that the shield is a bit more stable, I have to reboot the fire tv once very couple of weeks.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Nov 4, 2008
603 posts
1233 upvotes
Toronto
When buying this version of the Shield, keep in mind that it doesn't have a USB port if you have any accessories that require USB ports. I have the previous version of the Shield and use the Logitech K400 with it, which requires a USB port for the dongle. Make sure you buy bluetooth accessories should you need things like a keyboard.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
PrimaryTech wrote: I got the 2017 Pro and can vouch that Nvidia is doing things right. I tried Amazon stick, hated it, tried few other higher end Android boxes, hated them, I almost went Apple TV route but didn't want to be limited. Shield is by far the best media streaming device out there. I'm tempted to cover rest of the bedrooms.
Fire stick 4k plays everything equally as good as my 2019 Shield TV, zero difference for 4k Netflix and YouTube and prime. It's like that across the board from all user reviews and even cnet, techradar, AVR, etc. Every review says one thing, which is if you are only streaming, you can have 4 fire sticks for the price of one shield TV. (In my case $35/fire stick when both are on sale.

If you do any gaming or Plex, then the shield TV is a no brainer.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Nov 7, 2017
616 posts
498 upvotes
klamyo wrote: If its for media streaming and kodi I recommend trying out a fire tv 4k to see if it fits your needs.

For myself, I have absolutely no benefits using shield tv 2017 vs firestick 4k,
I use plex, kodi, netflix, youtube, amazon prime on both of them. My Plex server runs on a NAS.
Firestick probably will have problems streaming 4k HDR content with 80-100 mbps bandwith from plex server
Feb 19, 2018
487 posts
468 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Why is it so low? Is there a new version coming?
Nov 7, 2017
616 posts
498 upvotes
It's normal price considering it was $200 when they announced it, it's just $30 below the initial price, around 10% off