• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:18 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2183 posts
1752 upvotes
Vancouver
v1p3r69 wrote: What's the difference between this one by the official Creality store and the one sold by Comgrow for $20 more (with the coupon) mentioned in the other thread: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XG1SZ4Y
Do you get extra stuff?
$329 no tax and a glass bed..... this seems like a better deal for sure
Nov 23, 2004
553 posts
850 upvotes
Ontario
hshot_rooke wrote: I'm interested in 3D printing as well. Can you guys tell me if the Ender Pro 3 prints items with jagged edges and visible striations in the plastic? I've seen and had a couple of items printed before for and after receiving the end product, the quality is ok, but texture is rough.

I'm thinking of grabbing one to print board game organizers and board game tokens/pieces. But if the edges are rough, I'd be afraid to put cards and items in them.

Are there 3D printers that can make smoother objects?
There's a number of things that go into the look and feel of edges - layer height, nozzle size, machine calibration, bed levelling, etc. The Ender 3 pro can do quite smooth surfaces compared to some prints I've seen around 3d printing sites. Keep in mind 3d prints are layered, so if you use your nail or look in the right light you'll always be able to see/feel those layers, but there's a lot you can do to make them incredibly small and hardly noticeable too. I've done some decently small items for friends that have been painted and they've all turned out quite incredible. It took me maybe a week or two to really get the hang of all the different parameters and attributes that can be tweaked when slicing a model to print.
newsletter wrote: I'm interested in 3d printing but I don't have anything I necessarily need to print.
Has anyone gotten a 3d printing without a specific purpose but ended up printing a whole bunch of things they didn't expect?
Me too for sure. Dive into Thingiverse and I guarantee you'll have at least 50+ things favourited and new ideas within the first half hour. Some of my more practical things have been stuff like cable clips to tidy up some cable runs along baseboards and around my desk area, brackets to relocate my Oculus sensors off the desk, some vases, a TON of things for DIY home automation (sensor cases, smart blind brackets, etc.), trinkets for me, trinkets for friends, parts for the garage shop (vacuum hose adapters, soldering stands, etc), cookie cutters for the wife, the list is endless.
Jan 31, 2018
664 posts
1131 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ren wrote: Would this be capable of printing this with no artifacting? https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/wavegui ... 7dfeaedd28
That is an extremely easy print. No worries for the Ender 3, but don't discount the importance of operator skill.

If anybody wants to start with Capricorn tubing, the following package is a couple of bucks off today, and a great price with all the extras. Even if the nozzles and connectors are crap quality, it's pretty hard to get a silicone sock wrong!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VG8M4NP
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1649 posts
359 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
ao_tenshi wrote: Totally new to 3d printing... just want to know if the learning curve for designing things for print is steep or not. Like if I have a broken plastic end cap on furniture that needs to be replaced, how long does it take to replicate the exact plastic part in the software and send it to print?
For all the newbie question, the answer is it all depends on your interest level, your basic skill and your objective.

Myself learned rhino 3d design, how to slice and create workable g code. I assembled my own Prussia printer, even, from screws and nuts. All in 3 month.

But i still continue refine and improve technique and quality of design through years, and I am sure many people ahead of me, design and build much more complicated model ~ there is no limit.

But, for the very minimal, you could still get fun by downloading existing gadgets, without designing step, and just learn to print off it. It is not hard to set up printer, but you need some basics, so really it all depends.
Last edited by napoleonbot on Aug 18th, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2183 posts
1752 upvotes
Vancouver
Here is my noob question... I wanted to print replacment parts for my RC's... the parts need to be small, durable, and accurate...

is there any hope with either FDM or SLA? Or nothing will be durable enough?
Mar 25, 2003
387 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Havox07 wrote: Comgrow doesn't charge tax, most other sellers on Amazon do charge tax.
This one showed no tax as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2036 posts
1022 upvotes
evanwier wrote: Here is my noob question... I wanted to print replacment parts for my RC's... the parts need to be small, durable, and accurate...

Same, following these threads now. I'd also like to be able to replace small plastic parts on boat/small motors that are an absolute pain (and ripoff) to source.
Jan 31, 2018
664 posts
1131 upvotes
Winnipeg
evanwier wrote: Here is my noob question... I wanted to print replacment parts for my RC's... the parts need to be small, durable, and accurate...

A well-tuned Ender 3 with an all-metal hotend and a 0.6mm or larger hardened steel nozzle should be able to print carbon fibre reinforced PET. Some rudimentary hotboxing, and you can bump that to carbon fibre reinforced nylon. If that isn't strong enough, nothing will be.

[EDIT] Example filaments:
https://filaments.ca/products/carbonx-c ... 9353532501
https://filaments.ca/products/carbon-fi ... ent-1-75mm
May 2, 2010
268 posts
94 upvotes
I jumped on this a couple days ago. Didn't post as not as low as a recent thread for $276CAD from Creality, but at least I know I will get it soon and won't get hit with duties/broker fees/taxes/etc.
Nov 9, 2014
145 posts
100 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mindabsence wrote: Looks like you're getting the glass bed with that one. Highly recommended in my opinion - I ditched the magnetic bed about a week in and the glass bed has been a dream to print on in comparison.
This is good advice. The glass bed makes a big difference in the consistency of prints. The glass bed and the spring upgrades are key to getting good prints with stable consistent leveling.
Jul 5, 2008
560 posts
285 upvotes
pbenish wrote: This one showed no tax as well.
Yup, I did the $319 one and paid no tax + free ship.
Nov 9, 2014
145 posts
100 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ao_tenshi wrote: Totally new to 3d printing... just want to know if the learning curve for designing things for print is steep or not. Like if I have a broken plastic end cap on furniture that needs to be replaced, how long does it take to replicate the exact plastic part in the software and send it to print?
Designing a simple box or tube is pretty easy with the available CAD tools. Like any real skill, practice makes perfect. There are many good video tutorials for the CAD of your choice. It helps to take the time to learn them. You'll also find a world of already made models on sites like thingyverse where you can download and print things other people have made.
Last edited by redmondflagger on Aug 18th, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2, 2008
100 posts
62 upvotes

PetG for your RC parts needs
Feb 2, 2008
100 posts
62 upvotes
Oscar11 wrote: Been looking at these for a while. Just grabbed the one with the glass bed for $329 all in.

Anyone recommend filament that works well for this? Preferably from amazon?

Thanks
GEEETECH filament, I have been using it exclusively since I got my ender 3 pro a month ago, I have 5 different colours, all print smoothly without issue and the price is in a very nice range. most is currently on sale for 26 bucks as of last night, usually around 32 per roll. a roll lasts depending on what you print, make a spreadsheet and keep track :P if I am printing solid (20_ hours a day non stop) I get almost one week for a roll. more colours the more you will switch to do colour specific parts. I generally run specialized colours for specific parts and run the grey filament for everything I am going to paint at some point.