Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Official Creality 3D Ender 3 Pro Upgraded 3D Printer $319

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 4:19 pm
Tags:
Jan 25, 2010
278 posts
361 upvotes
Winnipeg
indeals wrote: Good deal but make sure it comes with the upgraded 32bit silent board. The same models that ship from Creality official store have been upgraded (no charge) to the 32bit silent board.
How do you tell the board type?
Feb 18, 2015
240 posts
231 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
Its on the circuit board on the bottom. You can open the cover or see it through the vent holes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
^ It's written on the chip. For example, on the CR-6 SE, it says "STM32F103" (32 for 32 bits).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1971 posts
2109 upvotes
Moncton
I no longer have a creality board installed so I can't check, but isn't there something like "about printer" in the menu selections that'll give you firmware/motherboard info?
Koodo 33GB UL T&T @ $48 (waiting on my tab to switch to a better/cheaper plan)
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2016
1235 posts
4268 upvotes
indeals wrote: Good deal but make sure it comes with the upgraded 32bit silent board. The same models that ship from Creality official store have been upgraded (no charge) to the 32bit silent board.
It will come with a 32 bit chip but the one with silent stepper drivers is a different board.
Nov 28, 2011
174 posts
122 upvotes
Points east
runbrun11 wrote: It’s all sold out :(
Check back often if you're interested. It's been in and out of stock a few times in the last 2 weeks. That's how I snagged mine.
Dec 22, 2001
942 posts
199 upvotes
Darn. I thought the 32bit board also meant the upgraded stepper drivers... My understanding is that the upgraded drivers make it silent AND improve quality, right? Or does the 32bit board improve the quality.. My understanding is that it doesnt - but I wanted to make sure.
Jan 26, 2011
315 posts
263 upvotes
Belleville
boojew wrote: Darn. I thought the 32bit board also meant the upgraded stepper drivers... My understanding is that the upgraded drivers make it silent AND improve quality, right? Or does the 32bit board improve the quality.. My understanding is that it doesnt - but I wanted to make sure.
Upgraded steppers will make it silent and improve quality (minor but it does a bit). 32Bit board is not necessary but it will allow you to print at higher speeds without hitching due to higher processing power. This is highly beneficial when printing circles due to the bazillion steps a circle generates.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
boojew wrote: Darn. I thought the 32bit board also meant the upgraded stepper drivers... My understanding is that the upgraded drivers make it silent AND improve quality, right? Or does the 32bit board improve the quality.. My understanding is that it doesnt - but I wanted to make sure.
People have claimed for years that the 'better' stepper drivers improve print quality, and I've also seen some claims that the 32 bit boards improve print quality because they are 'more powerful'. I haven't seen any good evidence to support this.

In the context of 3D printing, better stepper drivers can be much quieter, and let you run more current to run bigger/faster stepper motors. That's pretty much it. As for 32 bit boards, they typically have more memory, letting you run more features. But that's it.

I'd be bummed if I had a non-silent board, because silence is golden. But I wouldn't be bummed if I had a silent 8-bit board (which I do, and it's fine).
weble wrote: Upgraded steppers will make it silent and improve quality (minor but it does a bit). 32Bit board is not necessary but it will allow you to print at higher speeds without hitching due to higher processing power. This is highly beneficial when printing circles due to the bazillion steps a circle generates.
In my experience, increasing the buffer size from 16 to 32 on an 8-bit board removes all hitching and microstutters.

As for the 'improved' print quality of silent steppers, I just plain don't believe you, but I'm willing to be convinced. I've never seen a proper test, and in a community where everyone likes to test things and show off, it is a glaring omission. But I've never really looked *that* hard, so if you have a link comparing print quality of stepper drivers, I'd be really keen to see it.

[EDIT] Softened language
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1971 posts
2109 upvotes
Moncton
I'd say that the main benefit to a 32 bit vice 8 bit board is ease of firmware installation and (as stated above WRT more features) not having to be frugal with what features you want enabled. A 32bit board will have a boot loader which allows for a new firmware to be copied to the SD card which will then be picked up and installed on next reboot. An 8bit board requires either an arduino or (and this is how the Creality BLTouch kit works... I'm assuming a person could upload any appropriately sized firmware this way, but I'm not absolutely sure) a USB ISP device that connect a PC to a header on the mainboard primarily designed for installing firmware during the manufacturing process.

And yeah... from my perspective, silence is the main goal in a board replacement. If I got a 32 bit board and it didn't have silent stepper drivers I'd still be installing an aftermarket SKR Mini.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
sswilson wrote: An 8bit board requires either an arduino or (and this is how the Creality BLTouch kit works... I'm assuming a person could upload any appropriately sized firmware this way, but I'm not absolutely sure) a USB ISP device that connect a PC to a header on the mainboard primarily designed for installing firmware during the manufacturing process.
8 bit boards can come with a bootloader (the Creality 1.1.5 silent board does), or you can burn one yourself. Then firmware updates happen by avrdude over USB.
Dec 22, 2001
942 posts
199 upvotes
sswilson wrote: I'd say that the main benefit to a 32 bit vice 8 bit board is ease of firmware installation and (as stated above WRT more features) not having to be frugal with what features you want enabled. A 32bit board will have a boot loader which allows for a new firmware to be copied to the SD card which will then be picked up and installed on next reboot. An 8bit board requires either an arduino or (and this is how the Creality BLTouch kit works... I'm assuming a person could upload any appropriately sized firmware this way, but I'm not absolutely sure) a USB ISP device that connect a PC to a header on the mainboard primarily designed for installing firmware during the manufacturing process.

And yeah... from my perspective, silence is the main goal in a board replacement. If I got a 32 bit board and it didn't have silent stepper drivers I'd still be installing an aftermarket SKR Mini.
Thanks guys! I plan to keep this in the furnace/tool room where I dont spend much time - so hopefully the louder steppers wont be an issue.. and if they are, I guess I will upgrade. I was more interetsed in the salmon skinning "problem"

Thanks!
Jan 26, 2011
315 posts
263 upvotes
Belleville
OneAndTrueHeir wrote:
In my experience, increasing the buffer size from 16 to 32 on an 8-bit board removes all hitching and microstutters.

As for the 'improved' print quality of silent steppers, I just plain don't believe you, but I'm willing to be convinced. I've never seen a proper test, and in a community where everyone likes to test things and show off, it is a glaring omission. But I've never really looked *that* hard, so if you have a link comparing print quality of stepper drivers, I'd be really keen to see it.

[EDIT] Softened language
No worries, I just mean improved print quality in the fact that due to much less stepper vibration from the finer control using stealth or spreadcycle, and the improvement in microstepping up to 256 native (smoother movement). But ya its so minor doubt you will ever see it in a print. I did not bother testing it either to be fair haha, and I am too lazy to swap back to the original board. I do agree with the buffer size, upping it to 32 is a game changer for circle printing.
Jan 26, 2011
315 posts
263 upvotes
Belleville
boojew wrote: Thanks guys! I plan to keep this in the furnace/tool room where I dont spend much time - so hopefully the louder steppers wont be an issue.. and if they are, I guess I will upgrade. I was more interetsed in the salmon skinning "problem"

Thanks!
I never really experienced it on my 1.1.4 board with my ender 3. If you get a printer with the 1.1.5 board and the silent drivers you should not even have to worry about it. As the new drivers pretty much fix that issue
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1971 posts
2109 upvotes
Moncton
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: 8 bit boards can come with a bootloader (the Creality 1.1.5 silent board does), or you can burn one yourself. Then firmware updates happen by avrdude over USB.
Not to start an argument, but are you sure about that? Having a "bootloader" is a specific thing that means the device will parse the root of a storage device (like an SD card or USB stick) on boot and automatically load a firmware file into the eprom if it sees an appropriately named file. What you're describing sounds to me like you're using a USB ISP device to program the eprom using a program being run on something other than the printer/device. (That's how the Creality BLTouch kit works... they include a USB ISP device that connects the software on your PC (connected via USB) to the eprom on the board (connected via a header on the printer's mainboard).

I was under the impression that 8bit boards just didn't have enough room on the eprom to include a bootloader unless you compiled absolute bare bones merlin and removed everything possible (like the ender 3 graphics), but even then you still have to get it into the eprom initially using either an arduino or a USB ISP device.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
sswilson wrote: Not to start an argument, but are you sure about that?
Pretty damn sure. The optiboot bootloader is about 1kb, usually burned first with an ISP, and after that you upload firmware directly to the USB port (i.e., no ISP, just the regular USB port). Usually uploaded within the Arduino or VSCode build environments, but you can use the standalone avrdude. I've seen people do it with an SD card as well, but I think you need a different bootloader for that and I've never bothered myself.

With respect to size, I can get Marlin 2.0.6.x and all my required features (SD support, bltouch, bilinear levelling, s-curve acceleration, babystep offset with gfx overlay) into about 94% of the ROM space. Even less with optimized build flags. The big space savers I employ that are typically unused features are: arc support, volumetrics, eprom chitchat, autotemp, workspace offsets, slim menus, pid menus, and info menu.
Feb 18, 2015
240 posts
231 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
boojew wrote: Thanks guys! I plan to keep this in the furnace/tool room where I dont spend much time - so hopefully the louder steppers wont be an issue.. and if they are, I guess I will upgrade. I was more interetsed in the salmon skinning "problem"

Thanks!
Set it up with Octoprint, so you can keep an eye and control on it remotely then.
Sep 22, 2010
174 posts
186 upvotes
Guelph
Mrbobisto wrote: Well here is the final lightsaber, took me a few tries to get the blade right. But super happy with my first 3D print

Just did up the g code for darth Vader’s , and putting that on the printer tonight
What settings did you use for the blade?
Jun 15, 2020
33 posts
27 upvotes
It took me a couple of trie, as originally I was printing the blade segments too thin. Off the top of my head I used spiral ( vase mode) and then changed my wall thickness to .85. Also i had to change top and bottom layers to 0 on blades 2-5 ( since it did an infill for those first 4 layers, which wouldn’t let the blades pass through each other). I didn’t attempt printing the blade in one print as I didn’t like the seams. So it took probably 8 -9 hours to print the whole blade

Cheers
Formally Mrwinky (Lost password/Email tied to account)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
Mrbobisto wrote: Well here is the final lightsaber, took me a few tries to get the blade right. But super happy with my first 3D print

Just did up the g code for darth Vader’s , and putting that on the printer tonight
What is the blade? Handle looks great!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)