• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 12:38 am
Tags:
Nov 14, 2017
455 posts
597 upvotes
Vancouver
Drasco wrote: Correct on both accounts.

That is the new board and definitely assemble with the upgraded springs before leveling the first time. This is because you'll need to level all over again if you use the original springs and then upgrade later to the newer, stiffer springs.
Is there a link for stiffer springs?
Nov 24, 2015
974 posts
683 upvotes
Durham Region
indeals wrote: What is everyone doing for the smell or ventilation? Winter is coming. Open windows will be difficult for some of us :]

After some reading I'm a little more worried about chemical emissions from the plastic (not using ABS for example) than the noise level. Has anyone built an enclosure with active air filtration?
I would like to know as well. Had in basement originally but after doing some reading about particles and fumes I decided to move it to garage for now.

Basement definitely had a smell to it for a couple days after printing PLA. Going to build enclosure to bring it back down for winter, but not sure what to do about ventilation/filtration yet
Nov 11, 2003
456 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
For people wanting to upgrade the bed springs, I used my stock springs for about 2 weeks before I did the upgrade. I waited as I wanted to have the bed handle printed and the cable chain. Both of those required me to unscrew the bed/springs to install. The new springs are definitely much better. I haven’t had to level my bed in 8 days of solid printing.

Also for filament. If you want to try a PETG. Mg chemicals has been awesome. I have printed their “natural” PETG on a plate glass, no hairspray no glue or other crap. Bed temp 90 and hot end temp 220. Every print has stuck great and been real strong.

Today I just opened the black PETG from mg chemicals and I had to increase the temperature of the hot end to 225. Their PETG uses a lower temp so much better for PTFE Bowden tubes.

Also for PLA, I have recently tested out some of the flash forge PLA+. Did a few stress tests to see how strong it was compared to regular PLA. And I was impressed, much much stronger. A little weirder to print thou lol
Dec 5, 2018
212 posts
209 upvotes
Montreal
Xephy wrote: I was curious about this too. So I ordered the SKR mini V2. Along with the creality BLtouch. It is now back in stock at 3d printing Canada.

https://3dprintingcanada.com/products/s ... 2-0-32-bit
Thanks! Ordered the skr using that link and got a 5$ coupon that helped reduce shipping a but (11 bucks UPS, 13 bucks Fedex to the Montreal Area).

Coupon was SHIPV9MZDJDB, received it by email for letting the item sit on my cart (the usual "it seems to forgot to check out" message).
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4297 posts
209 upvotes
Mrbobisto wrote: So I got my ender pro 3, set it up on Friday and have been playing around with 1kg of grey glee tech . I ordered springs and a PEI bed but haven’t put them in yet here are some of the first prints. With Mickey I was learning I should have used supports. But I’m pretty impressed so far

WOW on the Light Saber handle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7082 posts
428 upvotes
Oakville
BooR4dL3y wrote: I bought a V2 from Amazon. It's my first printer and first experience. While I like what the V2 offers in upgrade, I think I should have went with the Pro. Here's why from my noob experience:

- Would have save $119 ($396 Amazon V2 -$277 Creality Pro).
- New control panel is nice, but it's viewing angles are not good. Either control panel does it job. Next item on my list makes this one less of an issue.
- Now I want to add an OctoPi. Noise from printer is too much (mostly fan noise). I want to make this into a network printer and put the printer in another room.
- BL Touch not available currently for V2. For convenience, I can see adding this auto bed leveling add-on in the future - would of ordered one if I bought the Pro.

In hindsight I would have gone with the Pro, bought a glass plate and a Rasperry Pi with the $119. Not having to hear the printer is a big deal for me.
I went with the V2 and am totally happy with it. The only thing you hear is the fans, I have it in the basement so no worries there. We can watch TV in the next room and no issues. I also upgraded the springs (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QCT ... UTF8&psc=1) and have gone at least 10-12 prints before leveling. I'm mostly doing board game inserts so I'm using CHEP's fast/rough Cura profile. Works great. His gcode makes leveling a breeze, takes at most 5 minutes. I won't be bothering with a BL Touch either.

I'm very happy I have a quiet, reliable build without having to tear the whole thing apart to "upgrade" it so I guess I am in the opposite camp.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Jun 15, 2020
10 posts
8 upvotes
Thank you, I ordered green PLA that’s arriving today, so I will start the blade tonight and hopefully it prints just as easy :)
Formally Mrwinky (Lost password/Email tied to account)
Nov 11, 2003
456 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey for those who are upgrading the bed springs, I have been recently having an interesting issue related to the upgraded bed springs!

I have noticed while trying to level the bed I am having to turn the knobs excessively (This was with a bed temp of 100c). I have been using a fairly large price of paper with a clear plate glass bed. I decided to try using a smaller piece of paper and I noticed that half of the time the bed screws were turning with the damn levelling knob !

So incase you levelling your bed and you don’t think it’s moving, you are not going crazy it may just be the bed screw turning with the knob :)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1779 posts
1029 upvotes
networksend wrote: I would like to know as well. Had in basement originally but after doing some reading about particles and fumes I decided to move it to garage for now.

Basement definitely had a smell to it for a couple days after printing PLA. Going to build enclosure to bring it back down for winter, but not sure what to do about ventilation/filtration yet
I built a (somewhat) fireproof airtight enclosure with active exhaust system (going outside), under constant supervision of my Arduino gadget, 3D Guardian: https://pulsar124.fandom.com/wiki/3D_Guardian . It's been working well for ~3 years. It's located inside our cold room in the basement.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2520 posts
356 upvotes
Durham Region
Got my Ender 3 Pro today. Total noobie when it comes to 3D printing. Never even seen one in person until today.

Took about 1.5hr to put together. Very easy, good instructions with diagrams. Fitment was excellent.

I also bought the upgrade kit but haven't installed it yet. For now I'll just run the default setup. Once I get more comfortable I will install the upgrade parts and also use the glass plate.

Just did my first print test using the dog model on the included sd card. Took 2 hours and 59 minutes. I used the white PLA filament that was included.

Turned out pretty fantastic in my opinion. I'm very impressed. Thanks OP!
Images
  • 20200831_204420.jpg
Jan 15, 2017
287 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
dsorgiovanni wrote: Hey for those who are upgrading the bed springs, I have been recently having an interesting issue related to the upgraded bed springs!

I have noticed while trying to level the bed I am having to turn the knobs excessively (This was with a bed temp of 100c). I have been using a fairly large price of paper with a clear plate glass bed. I decided to try using a smaller piece of paper and I noticed that half of the time the bed screws were turning with the damn levelling knob !

So incase you levelling your bed and you don’t think it’s moving, you are not going crazy it may just be the bed screw turning with the knob :)
I had the similar issue. The springs were getting compressed all the way and the plate was still touching the nozzle. In fact even with the stock springs the compression seemed a bit excessive. I think it's because the glass plate is just thick. I actually moved the Z switch up a couple of mms up to compensate and it's much nicer.

Speaking of plates, I think the one I have is slightly dipped in the center (stock glass plate). It's making leveling a bit of a pain but still prints OK to my untrained eyes. Can't wait til I install a BLTouch on this thing so it can do automatic multi-point leveling.
Oct 1, 2009
115 posts
129 upvotes
Just got the shipment notice from creality for the ender 3 pro. I ordered from the Canada warehouse, but it looks like its tracking info indicates its coming from china. I'm hoping that's just a bug on their part.

I originally wanted the Prusa Mini for the reliablity and customer support, but after seeing the amount of community support and upgradablity available for the older ender 3 V1, I think this printer might be a better choice for a beginner like me, even if quality out-of-the box doesn't quite match up with the Prusa mini. I hope its not a mistake, as I was more than willing to pay the higher price for a 3d printer.
Dec 5, 2004
347 posts
41 upvotes
hi, when i download the stl files from web, and slice it with Cura, the print filment doesn't stick with the bed.
but when i print the 3d from the sd (comes with Ender), it is all good and stick properly.

Anyone knows why? Thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20039 posts
2850 upvotes
Niagara Falls
enemyboss wrote: Just got the shipment notice from creality for the ender 3 pro. I ordered from the Canada warehouse, but it looks like its tracking info indicates its coming from china. I'm hoping that's just a bug on their part.

I originally wanted the Prusa Mini for the reliablity and customer support, but after seeing the amount of community support and upgradablity available for the older ender 3 V1, I think this printer might be a better choice for a beginner like me, even if quality out-of-the box doesn't quite match up with the Prusa mini. I hope its not a mistake, as I was more than willing to pay the higher price for a 3d printer.

I don't think it will be. When you're looking up tutorials for beginner type things you almost always see it done with an Ender. For people who are just dipping their toe into the 3D printing experience, it helps to see equipment that is familiar.