• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:08 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3694 posts
1231 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I'm very interested in getting one of the boards that reduce sound now that I just ordered the $329 deal. Can anyone recommend a good board for the Ender 3 Pro and good price/reputable buyer? I don't yet trust myself to get one off Aliexpress on my own. Would love the advice of someone that is more experienced with this.

Recommendations on best place to order filament would also be highly appreciated!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20026 posts
2842 upvotes
Niagara Falls
newsletter wrote: I'm interested in 3d printing but I don't have anything I necessarily need to print.
Has anyone gotten a 3d printing without a specific purpose but ended up printing a whole bunch of things they didn't expect?
I've printed two functional prints so far that weren't just toys. I printed a proper fitting spotting scope to cell phone adapter. You get can get generic ones online for like $25 but they are P.I.T.A. to work with. You can get custom fitted ones for around $90 US, so that one print was like half the cost of the printer, or at least that's what I told my wife.

The other print was a door stay like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1812426 . I made mine a custom length to fit my door exactly.

You can check here for prints that might actually be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/functionalprint/

Someone posted an attachment for your trimmer that is designed to take out weeds. Looking forward to testing that out.

That being said, it's a hobby, it's going to cost you money, cause you frustrations and likely not make its money back, but it is cool.
Aug 16, 2009
168 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
evanwier wrote: $329 no tax and a glass bed..... this seems like a better deal for sure
well this one has no sales tax either, but $10 more for a glass bed an 5 additional replacement nozzles, that's a much better deal
Jun 18, 2016
401 posts
1110 upvotes
bigdaddyyc wrote: I don't plan on using this for another couple of months. Is this a good enough price to buy anyways, or wait and see?
It was $272 last week so no rush at this price
Feb 2, 2008
101 posts
63 upvotes
newsletter wrote: I'm interested in 3d printing but I don't have anything I necessarily need to print.
Has anyone gotten a 3d printing without a specific purpose but ended up printing a whole bunch of things they didn't expect?
Ya I decided to get into it for not real purpose in mind, and I have been printing non stop for over a month, mostly toys from my childhood that I could never get now, then I started printing out useful stuff off for my wife, then covid masks, then little flexi toys for more grand daughter who loves watching it print, then some round the house stuff, then I got into the big multi part builds, now I have starting toying in tinkercad and building what I design. If you love modding things (whether this machine or things in general) this is a great item to play with. I watched 2 days worth of videos to get things setup and have an idea where to start, from there I just kept printing.
Aug 16, 2009
168 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
MooseV2 wrote: It was $272 last week so no rush at this price
for the pro or normal ender 3?
Nov 7, 2016
311 posts
201 upvotes
I fail to understand how is this a hot deal? This has been the price for a while now..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20026 posts
2842 upvotes
Niagara Falls
thefragger wrote: Ender 3X is $288 after $16 coupon,

www.amazon.ca/dp/B07V4RTYQF/

For people trying to figure out which one to get, I'm not sure there is a wrong answer, most upgrade you can do on your own and some better.

The only reason I went for the Pro over the 3x was the improved Y arm which is supposed to be more stable. Also the bonus of the fan no longer facing up although you can make prints to protect it and the SD card placement is better on the Pro or V2.
Nov 13, 2017
92 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
Oscar11 wrote: Been looking at these for a while. Just grabbed the one with the glass bed for $329 all in.

Anyone recommend filament that works well for this? Preferably from amazon?

Thanks
I got an ender 3 pro a few months back and have been using it a lot since then. Been using AMZ3D and eryone filament from amazon and they both work great after tweaking settings (which you'll likely have to do with using different kinds of filaments and especially from different brands). Had less problems with amz3D but it might just be that I need to fiddle around with the settings more for eryone's filament. I also picked up a spool of eryone's marble filament and 3D Solutech's translucent blue filament, but I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet. You'll need an airtight container to store opened filament spools (in case you want to switch filament colours/materials) and silica gel packets to get rid of moisture when storing the spools - I haven't gotten those yet so I'm just using up my spools one by one.

For those who got the stock non-glass bed, I definitely recommend swapping it out for a glass bed, or better yet, a spring-steel PEI-coated bed (gives you the benefits of both the stock bed and the glass bed without the drawbacks of either). I've also added a raspberry pi 3B+ running octoprint and plugged into the printer 24/7, which lets me print to and monitor the printer via wifi (among a whole host of smart features, including camera/timelapse configuration). Without octoprint, you'd have to process the print file on a computer, copy it to a microSD card, walk it over to the printer, and then insert the card and print the file directly on the printer. That might not be a big hassle, but having wireless control from a phone or PC is a definitely a nice QoL upgrade, alongside adding a BL-Touch which automates most of the calibration that you usually do between prints or on a weekly basis.

The nice thing is that you don't have to get all the upgrades right away. Use the printer for a bit and see if anything is lacking from your experience with it. If there is, there's probably an upgrade for that (some upgrades can even be printed with the printer itself!) or a technique that you need to learn. What I do recommend having sooner rather than later are a glass/PEI bed and the BL touch. Those both make a big difference in getting more consistently good prints and having to do a lot less maintainance.
Nov 23, 2004
556 posts
855 upvotes
Ontario
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm very interested in getting one of the boards that reduce sound now that I just ordered the $329 deal. Can anyone recommend a good board for the Ender 3 Pro and good price/reputable buyer? I don't yet trust myself to get one off Aliexpress on my own. Would love the advice of someone that is more experienced with this.

Recommendations on best place to order filament would also be highly appreciated!
Creality has their own official Ali and Amazon stores that sell their silent board, that's always a safe place to buy from.

I also hear a lot of recommendations for the SKR Mini E3 V2.0 board, which has the same silent drivers as the official Creality board but a lot more functionality and customizability, and if you ever get into buying an auto bed leveler than the BLTouch is natively compatibile with that board too. I'm going to order the SKR when I get around to it after many reddit recommendations for that one (you want the v2 though - earlier versions had some hit-and-miss heat issues). BIGTREETECH is the Amazon and Ali store you want to order that one from.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1023 posts
1138 upvotes
Is it "easy" getting into 3d printing? I wanted to make some little random stuff around the house. Little knick knacks. Is designing it difficult for a n00b? It's not like using photoshop?
May 17, 2013
271 posts
175 upvotes
GWN
v1p3r69 wrote: What's the difference between this one by the official Creality store and the one sold by Comgrow for $20 more (with the coupon) mentioned in the other thread: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XG1SZ4Y
Do you get extra stuff?
well that sucks, I just bought the pro 3 days ago from Comgrow for $329 without the glass. It hasn't even been delivered yet.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11358 posts
7663 upvotes
Edmonton
simplypop wrote: Is it "easy" getting into 3d printing? I wanted to make some little random stuff around the house. Little knick knacks. Is designing it difficult for a n00b? It's not like using photoshop?
Printing is relatively easy. Designing can be much more complex. Different tools exist, like TinkerCAD (relatively simple) to Fusion 360 (full blown and complex CAD) for free.

On the plus side, you can iterate through your design changes as quickly as you can make them and print them, and it's fairly cheap. The downside is that depending on the size of your print, you could be talking hours or even days to print.

C

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

schmeerskahoven, willyfonsworth, dchimera