[Amazon.ca] Official Creality 3D Ender 3 Pro Upgraded 3D Printer $319

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:18 pm
Tags:
Jan 17, 2006
899 posts
248 upvotes
Mississauga
Just a heads up that Creality seems to be pulling a fast one with the stepper drivers in the new boards.

There seems to be two different v4.2.2 boards (both 32-bit) that look identical with the only difference that under the heatsinks some have the TMC2208 drivers (very good drivers and silent) and some come with the A4988 drivers. This wouldn't be that bad if they had used the same A4988 chip used in the older boards (although noisy it is actually a good driver), but, they are using a Chinese Clon that apparently is quite bad and problematic.

Seems like they are using the good boards on the V2s as those are advertised as silent so it would be problematic but if you ordered a Pro or 3X and by surprise got this newer board is likely you got the one with the shitty drivers...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7641 posts
1710 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Lumute wrote: Just a heads up that Creality seems to be pulling a fast one with the stepper drivers in the new boards.

There seems to be two different v4.2.2 boards (both 32-bit) that look identical with the only difference that under the heatsinks some have the TMC2208 drivers (very good drivers and silent) and some come with the A4988 drivers. This wouldn't be that bad if they had used the same A4988 chip used in the older boards (although noisy it is actually a good driver), but, they are using a Chinese Clon that apparently is quite bad and problematic.

Seems like they are using the good boards on the V2s as those are advertised as silent so it would be problematic but if you ordered a Pro or 3X and by surprise got this newer board is likely you got the one with the shitty drivers...
so u are saying not to order the v2 from creativity store?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 17, 2006
899 posts
248 upvotes
Mississauga
L4cky wrote: so u are saying not to order the v2 from creativity store?
No, the V2's are probably fine, these are advertised as silent and having TMC2208 drivers so I don't think they would risk it putting the noisy board on it and even if they did you can contact them to get it replaced for a good one... Also I don't think it matters who do you order from, they all from Creality anyway unless what you are buying is really a clone, Creality store or Amazon Creality / Comgrow stores should be originals...

It's the printers that by spec should come with an older 8-bit board (which is noisy but good) like the Pro's or 3X's that are being shipped with an upgraded 32-bit board also labeled as v4.2.2 but has the shitty drivers... The only way to recognize it is if they are noisy or not or by removing one of the driver's heatsink to check but that is not recommended as it would probably void the warranty...

I posted earlier on this thread a youtube video that has a comparison of the noise level between a silent and a noisy board to give an idea.
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
I'm pretty sure Xephy (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=72548) got a V1 version with one of the 32 bit boards but found it was still noisy. An SKR Mini E3 has been ordered already so maybe we'll get first hand confirmation.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2138 posts
641 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sswilson wrote: I'm pretty sure Xephy (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=72548) got a V1 version with one of the 32 bit boards but found it was still noisy. An SKR Mini E3 has been ordered already so maybe we'll get first hand confirmation.
The noise of my ender 3 pro didn't bother me at first, but after a week of constant printing, I almost hear it in my brain when I'm away from home. Can't be good for your quality of sleep.
Would a v1.2 version be okay or would you recommend to spend more $ on the v2.0
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
iddqd85 wrote: The noise of my ender 3 pro didn't bother me at first, but after a week of constant printing, I almost hear it in my brain when I'm away from home. Can't be good for your quality of sleep.
Would a v1.2 version be okay or would you recommend to spend more $ on the v2.0
Personally I'd recommend sticking with what you currently have and grabbing an SKR mini E3 (third party drop-in replacement).
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2138 posts
641 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sswilson wrote: Personally I'd recommend sticking with what you currently have and grabbing an SKR mini E3 (third party drop-in replacement).
For sure. That's my plan. Just wondering which version of sir mini e3 would you reccomend.?
Jan 17, 2006
899 posts
248 upvotes
Mississauga
sswilson wrote:
Personally I'd recommend sticking with what you currently have and grabbing an SKR mini E3 (third party drop-in replacement).
Agreed, and I would go with the v2.0. You may not be interested in the main enhancements (like support for dual z-axis, etc.) but it's a better board overall, they fixed some problems people were running into with the v1.2s and added improved thermal dissipation, much better mosfet for the heated bed, etc. It's not a big difference price wise...

I did a lot of research on this and my conclusion is that if you have the money and are not too tech savvy then go with the TH3D EZBoard Lite, it's the best quality drop in replacement and they do an awesome job with their unified firmware that makes it so much easier to flash new firmwares. Plus their warranty and support is so much better, but, it's freaking $120 USD plus shipping / brokerage and customs for us Canucks.

Second best option is that SKR Mini E3 v2.0.

I'm currently running the newer Creality silent board v4.2.7 but I'm returning it once I receive the SKR I just ordered...

EDIT: BTW, 3dprintingcanada has a good price on the SKR board and free shipping over $99, I added the TFT35 and some screws I needed but you could also add some filament if you need, they carry tons of stuff and their customer service really good plus you would be supporting a Canadian small business through this tough times. I left the stuff in the shopping card overnight and they sent me a couple of emails with discount codes to complete the order (5% and 5$ off). If you are willing to wait and also want the TFT35 then Aliexpress is another option, they have the combos at a very good price...
Dec 12, 2006
54 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm currently waiting for the v2 to be restocked for Canada on the Creality site (been out of stock for a couple of weeks now), so I was clicking around the site yesterday and I saw the Blue Violet Laser Engraving Module, but it's apparently not compatible with the Ender 3 v2, is there another module that would allow the v2 to have laser engraving capabilities too?? Any thoughts? - Extreme newbie when it comes to 3D printing, so apologies if this is a stupid question!
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
L4cky wrote: so u are saying not to order the v2 from creativity store?
I've got the V 1.2 and am more than happy with it, but don't know enough about the hardware issues folks reported having with it to offer an educated suggestion between the two. Lumute's post (above) sounds like he's done the research, and the difference is only $20 - $30 so if you can stretch your budget it's probably the best way to go as long as they have current firmware for both stock and BLTouch configurations. (My board was up and running within a few minutes with their github BLTouch firmware build for the 1.2).

edit: Just to further add to Lumute's comment on 3dprintingcanada... there's currently a 10% code for parts (PARTS).

edit 2: Apologies to L4cky... I quoted the wrong post. I intended to quote iddqd85's query on 1.2 vs 2.0 versions of the SKR mini E3 Board.
Last edited by sswilson on Sep 10th, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2006
899 posts
248 upvotes
Mississauga
K3lvin wrote: I'm currently waiting for the v2 to be restocked for Canada on the Creality site (been out of stock for a couple of weeks now), so I was clicking around the site yesterday and I saw the Blue Violet Laser Engraving Module, but it's apparently not compatible with the Ender 3 v2, is there another module that would allow the v2 to have laser engraving capabilities too?? Any thoughts? - Extreme newbie when it comes to 3D printing, so apologies if this is a stupid question!
Wow, this is really cool! Wath the heck @K3lvin!, I have already spend a ton of money on this... whatcha doing to us dude! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

BTW guys, I just got an email from 3dprintingcanada, they have a back to school promo until midnight Sunday with a 10% off on parts and other stuff: link
Oct 16, 2019
99 posts
76 upvotes
Lumute wrote: Wow, this is really cool! Wath the heck @K3lvin!, I have already spend a ton of money on this... whatcha doing to us dude! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

BTW guys, I just got an email from 3dprintingcanada, they have a back to school promo until midnight Sunday with a 10% off on parts and other stuff: link
Thank you for the link, got 10% off my quiet board that I ordered. Luckily I was able to cancel the Amazon order I made this morning and I saved over $25. I spent an extra $50 on filament to get to the $99 free shipping threshold so did I save anything... :)
Dec 12, 2006
54 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Lumute wrote: Wow, this is really cool! Wath the heck @K3lvin!, I have already spend a ton of money on this... whatcha doing to us dude! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I think that laser is really cool too, so hoping it's just that they haven't come up with one for the v2 yet and that there will be one later... It would be pretty damn cool to be able to do laser etching and engraving with the Ender
Sep 19, 2017
861 posts
680 upvotes
Moncton
maddmaxx308 wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-3D-Filam ... 461&sr=8-5

Anyone have any experience with this guy?
I dunno.... they claim to be a Canadian retailer yet have aliexpress quality ESL translations on their writeup? looks, and sounds fishy to me especially if their prices don't line up with other canadian sources.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)