Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Official Creality 3D Ender 3 Pro Upgraded 3D Printer $319

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 1:50 pm
Tags:
Newbie
Oct 16, 2019
78 posts
71 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: No need to upgrade? Where's the fun in that!
Isn't the point of owning a 3D printer to upgrade it, I mean what else can you do with it? Face With Tears Of Joy
Jr. Member
Nov 28, 2011
120 posts
45 upvotes
Points east
evanwier wrote: Do you have any more info about this? I had not heard this and from what I found it was just a lot of people getting confused on the fact Creality has 2 versions of their 32bit 4.2.2 board.

From what I can find the upgrade boards for the Ender 3/Pro from Creality are worse than say the SKR Mini board - but that the Ender 3 V2 has Crealitys new 32 bit silent board with the TMC2208 Drivers is all-but-identical to the SKR Mini

Furthermore, Some Ender 3 Pros are shipping with the 4.2.2 board but NOT the identical board to the Ender 3 V2 4.2.2 - as the Ender 3 Pro 4.2.2 is still using old HR4988 chipsets for the motor drivers where as the Ender 3 V2 4.2.2 board is using the TMC2208 chipset drivers.


There seems to be a misunderstanding around this - but if you have information to the contrary I would love to see it.
Here's a detailed video explaining the differences in the boards and stepper chips.

Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
893 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga
evanwier wrote: Do you have any more info about this? I had not heard this and from what I found it was just a lot of people getting confused on the fact Creality has 2 versions of their 32bit 4.2.2 board.

From what I can find the upgrade boards for the Ender 3/Pro from Creality are worse than say the SKR Mini board - but that the Ender 3 V2 has Crealitys new 32 bit silent board with the TMC2208 Drivers is all-but-identical to the SKR Mini

Furthermore, Some Ender 3 Pros are shipping with the 4.2.2 board but NOT the identical board to the Ender 3 V2 4.2.2 - as the Ender 3 Pro 4.2.2 is still using old HR4988 chipsets for the motor drivers where as the Ender 3 V2 4.2.2 board is using the TMC2208 chipset drivers.


There seems to be a misunderstanding around this - but if you have information to the contrary I would love to see it.
The Creality new 4.x.x boards are quite improved with 32-bit processor, more memory (this was a big limitation on their 8-bit board), bootloader and additional I/O ports for BL Touch and filament runout sensor, etc. BUT they are still budget basic board, there are many benefits to using other boards.

Quality wise:
- Better components like the heated bed MOSFET (better quality and heat dissipation)
- 2-layer board vs 4 layer (much better heat dissipation)
- In the case of the noisy 4.2.2 they are using some Chinese 4988 know-off drivers that are known to be quite problematic.

Feature wise:
- Some boards come with dual z-axis support like the SKR Mini E3 v2 (needed to such an upgrade)
- Some boards have 5 drivers instead of 4, this allows you to upgrade to a dual extruder setup
- Some boards have some additional I/O ports, useful for some upgrades
- The TH3D board can be flashed from a web GUI generated firmware configuration file that makes this process so much simpler and easier.
- Some boards allow you to change the drivers as they have sockets for that and the driver is just a little module that is inserted in those sockets, so you can easily upgrade them if you like.
- The Creality boards have the drivers installed in standalone mode, this is a big limitation as several Marlin features are not possile like Linear Advance and Sensorless Homing, etc.

For a many of us, upgrading the printer, playing with all these advanced features, compiling and installing new firmwares and trying experimental features, etc. is a huge part of the 3D printing hobby enjoyment so all these are important.

All that said, for a lot of people the printer is just a mean to print stuff and they just want their printer to be easy to use, cheap and with good enough print quality, they may upgrade their firmware to the latest one provided by the printer manufacturer and may do some basic upgrades that improve printing quality, etc. but they dont want or have the knowledge to deal with all that stuff above. For this group, the Creality 4.x.x board is a perfectly good board and enough for all their needs. They may have to upgrade to the silent one if they have the one with 4988 drivers and the printer is close to where they sleep but that's about it...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
893 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga
Ha, Teaching Tech just did (today) a great summary based on information he got directly from a Creality employee so it clarifies and confirms the whole thing:



This guy is amazing BTW, his videos are amazing and I have learned a lot from them...
Newbie
Dec 23, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
Got the v2 and compared it to my friend's 3 pro and the v2 is a no brainier for most people. All the noises made from the 3 pro make it impossible to stay or sleep in the same room while it's printing, the fans on the v2 are pretty much all you can hear and when you have headphones on it's basically silent. You'd still hear the beeping on the 3 pro. The fit and finish is so much better with the v2 as well, enclosed power supply, nicer display and interface, sleek injection molded hotend cover and much larger rubber feet for stability and noise reduction, tensioners are a nice touch as well. The textured glass bed is awesome , sticks great and will last longer than the magnetic one on the 3 pro, my friend's one has warped a bit and he's replacing it with a glass one. I've also upgraded to an all metal extruder, capricorn tubing and the upgraded bed springs. Overall very happy and I've been getting perfect prints with this silk filament-https://www.amazon.ca/ERYONE-Filament-1 ... 79de2d236f
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1767 posts
764 upvotes
London
sswilson wrote: Seriously folks.... if the noise is getting to you, print off the noise isolating feet for use until you can get a silent board. They are surprisingly effective.
iddqd85 wrote: It's not loud by any means, but the constant robotic whine gets to you. I'm no longer printing over night until I get the silent board.
Another option that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned is stepper motor dampers. (probably about $10)
They are quite effective at reducing that high pitched "musical" whine.
There are silent board options now, but a couple of years ago, dampers were all the rage.
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2015
938 posts
651 upvotes
Durham Region
Can’t believe people are running these beside them in bedrooms without an enclosure. the smell with PLA might be manageable, but there’s still particles released you don’t want to be breathing in
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
893 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga
arisk wrote:


Another option that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned is stepper motor dampers. (probably about $10)
They are quite effective at reducing that high pitched "musical" whine.
There are silent board options now, but a couple of years ago, dampers were all the rage.
True, but do not use dampers if you have a board with silent drivers (TMC2208, TMC2209 or TMC2225), they are not needed and will actually cause throuble. Same goes for smoothers...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2199 posts
2107 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know if it was noted but the price dropped to $313 from $319...

I got a second one to support my business! They both run 24/7... After about 300-400 hours (2x1 KG ish) I find they require a good maintenance (cleaning nozzle, lube, etc). Even cleaning the original bed with 99% seem to leave marks.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
799 posts
627 upvotes
Moncton
maddmaxx308 wrote: I’m just going to leave this here.

I've got some stacked 14X14" tiles instead of a patio slab. In all honesty though, it's not really needed with a silent stepper driver, all I can hear now is the fans and the (very) occasional chirp from one of the steppers when/if it makes a particularly sharp movement.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Member
User avatar
Aug 20, 2019
326 posts
327 upvotes
London, Ontario
sswilson wrote: I've got some stacked 14X14" tiles instead of a patio slab. In all honesty though, it's not really needed with a silent stepper driver, all I can hear now is the fans and the (very) occasional chirp from one of the steppers when/if it makes a particularly sharp movement.
Using the Ender V2 silent stepper?

OH I’m looking at a 24x24 table. I assume that’s gonna be more than enough of a foot print for it... right?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
799 posts
627 upvotes
Moncton
maddmaxx308 wrote: Using the Ender V2 silent stepper?

OH I’m looking at a 24x24 table. I assume that’s gonna be more than enough of a foot print for it... right?
No, I've got an SKR Mini, but it's pretty safe to assume the silent stepper drivers on the silent creality board will perform similarly. As far as footprint goes... 14X14" is good for a non-pro ender 3, but really safe to assume the V2 will fit fine on a 24X24 table,
Last edited by sswilson on Sep 11th, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2001
810 posts
124 upvotes
Oh damn. I thought the 1.1.15 was a 32 bit board. Well then. SKR, here we come!

edit: ok - so I guess I will go for the SKR Mini.. now looking around I see thee are v1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 2.0 boards. Looking at 3dprintcanada, they all appear to be around the same price range. I am inclined to go w/ the 2.0.. cause 2 >1 - but is there something I am missing.. I am a totaly noob at this and I will likely be just doing simple printing for the next little bit.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2006
893 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga
boojew wrote: Oh damn. I thought the 1.1.15 was a 32 bit board. Well then. SKR, here we come!

edit: ok - so I guess I will go for the SKR Mini.. now looking around I see thee are v1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 2.0 boards. Looking at 3dprintcanada, they all appear to be around the same price range. I am inclined to go w/ the 2.0.. cause 2 >1 - but is there something I am missing.. I am a totaly noob at this and I will likely be just doing simple printing for the next little bit.
amazon-ca-official-creality-3d-ender-3- ... #p33093863

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

FearLesTech, maniac_cop