Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Onkyo TX-RZ830 9.2 THX Receiver New $799.99 (2018 model, 53% off MSRP)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2019 3:14 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
10 posts
15 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Onkyo TX-RZ830 9.2 THX Receiver New $799.99 (2018 model, 53% off MSRP)

Price matches a deal from back in May, this is a 2018 model being replaced by the TX-RZ840. Available firmware updates add support for Airplay 2, Amazon Music, eARC, Deezer HiFi and Sonos Connect.

Not a lot of reviews but I've been running it for a few days now and have been very happy with it, setup was painless and sounds great (I'm coming from a Pioneer VSX-1325K, I'm not an audiophile so I'm not even going to try to be more specific).

Onkyo marketing blurb:

The TX-RZ830 brings a high-end approach to build and sound to the middle of our A/V receiver range. Our top-of-the-line high-current digital architecture is deployed with spectacular results: fluency, frequency range, transient response, and detail resolution are unassailable at the price. With sheer high-current power needed for edge-of-the-seat movie thrills and joyful stereo listening, the TX-RZ830 presents as a high-fidelity reference component loaded with connections needed for a custom install lasting well into the future.

http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.php? ... s=Receiver
26 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1824 posts
453 upvotes
Maple
I got one as well, its quality. No issues from my end. Its arguably the nicest design of a reciever right now.

I'm running a full 7.2.4 atmos with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2777 posts
475 upvotes
BC
At this price point you really want proper room correction which this does not have.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
10 posts
15 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Jul 21st, 2019 9:27 pm
At this price point you really want proper room correction which this does not have.
It'd help if you provided some sort of context for what you consider "proper" room correction at the $800 price point.

My VSX-1325K had auto-correction in 1 location in the room, the TX-RZ830 tests 3 locations and I've tried sitting in all 3 locations (two of which are about 20' apart and one is behind the surrounds... I have an ugly theatre room) and the sound is at least good in all 3 locations without any noticeable delays.

More Onkyo blurbage:

AccuEQ Advance for Accurate Calibration
AccuEQ sets speaker distance, SP level, and crossover. In addition, AccuEQ Advance employs multi-point measurement to remove standing waves from your listening space, which compromise audio quality and bass response. The technology also detects and compensates for background noise, such as the hum from an HVAC, to ensure accurate equalization.

AccuReflex
AccuReflex technology aligns the phase of up-firing "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers. Any delay is resolved so that everything arrives at your ears at the same time. The result is cohesive reproduction of object-based soundtracks.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1824 posts
453 upvotes
Maple
Yeah, let's not get into how these does not have audyssey and start comparing that technology to what onkyo uses for their sound correction algorithms.

Its braindead to think a company that sells premium audio equipment would not have a setup/room correction that would make hardware sound bad. Millions of $ went into their version of audyssey and the results are arguably indistinguishable besides what some chart would say.
Nov 8, 2007
492 posts
143 upvotes
This thing looks HUGE! Good deal if it meets your needs. They must be clearing out for newer models in the fall?

While Audyssey is the general favorite for consumer AVRs, in an enclosed space with appropriate sound treatments I'm sure it'd sound fine.
Do a few demos to listen for yourself if it matters that much, you can always return it.
Mar 31, 2008
700 posts
403 upvotes
Airdrie
A little off topic, but when are home theater receivers going to get with the 21st century and add nice touch screen or at least lcd displays instead of the ghetto 1980 green dot computer screens?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1159 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I think its a fair comparison to make, the Denon's go on sale just as often and refirbished ones from Gibby's are a great buy. That said if this checks all your boxes and you need one now then its a decent deal.
mcwilly wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:56 am
A little off topic, but when are home theater receivers going to get with the 21st century and add nice touch screen or at least lcd displays instead of the ghetto 1980 green dot computer screens?
Hopefully never.

Touchscreens on a receiver would be a nightmare. You have your remote/app to do anything special, the receiver is just supposed to sit there and make the sound happen. Also not sure about this one but my Denon has an option to turn off all the lights (screen and dot) so that it's not annoying. Was nice to see that offered, usually i have to tape over all the lights.
Jul 23, 2011
411 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a txnr787 from Gibby's a few months back and can vouch for the new "Advanced" ONKYO calibration software with its 3 reference points.
The jump to ATMOS from straight 7.1 was an expected improvement. The taming of some persistent standing wave issues I was having with my PARADIGM PS1000 sub is down to the new calibration software. It's more accurate and optimizes sound better than I was able to do with my old SPL meter and test disc routine.
The only question I would have for the setup routine would be how it handles a second sub.. From what I understand, the second sub output on these amps is not discrete. If I add a second sub, will the calibration software account for two separate placements?
Someone above mentioned they are running this amp in this configuration and I would be curious how it worked out..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6077 posts
821 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I remember that few years ago, basically when Onkyo switched from Audyssey to using their own AccuEQ, that AccuEQ is really bad and vastly inferior.

That and reading about a lot of handshaking issues drove me away from Onkyo for a while.

I looked up the information now and it seems AccuEQ has improved? I am switching from an old Denon that has MultiEQ XT and obviously don't want worse performance. I need something that can do 5.2.4 however which is why RZ830 is now in consideration.

Gibby's have b-stock of this receiver at 629. I might just get that instead. Would the NR787 be a huge step down if I get it for another $100 less.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Sep 2, 2007
675 posts
168 upvotes
I just put my Onkyo receiver in the recycling
All because the sound chip gave up

ONKYO has had an ongoing problem with heat

The Onkyo ran very hot over 85C not good for electronics

The replacement receiver if a Pioneer and is barely warm to the touch
It does not have any of the bells and whistles of the Onkyo .........but it works well
Aug 10, 2010
281 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
Has this been the best deal on 9.2 receiver recently? Still looks available fulfilled by Gibbys