Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Opteka 85mm f/1.8 Manual Focus Aspherical Medium Telephoto Lens

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2015 4:05 pm
Tags:
Jan 18, 2013
639 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] Opteka 85mm f/1.8 Manual Focus Aspherical Medium Telephoto Lens

http://www.amazon.ca/Opteka-Manual-Asph ... pteka+85mm

This lens is on sale for both the Canon and Nikon mounts for $120. It's a manual focus lens.

Apparently the lens is originally $300 for Canon and $400 for Nikon.
10 replies
Sep 4, 2005
107 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal
list for $220 and sells for $120 on amazon.com all the time....
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2776 posts
2425 upvotes
forestrunner40 wrote: list for $220 and sells for $120 on amazon.com all the time....
Still a great price. Thanks OP!
Oct 14, 2012
434 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
This lens was never 300-400... It has always been sub 200
Jan 18, 2013
639 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary
fatpiggy wrote: My first lens for my D3100 other than the standard lens that came with the camera. Is this lens good enough for beginner? Other f1.8 lens seems to be much more expensive.
This might be a tough lens for beginner. I don't think there's any electronic in this lens. That means you'll have to set the aperture manually and focus manually as well. A lot of people get spoiled by auto-focus.

It'll be a steep learning curve but once you master it, you're laughing.

85mm on a crop sensor is difficult to use if you are thinking of doing street photography - not to mention manual focus. This lens will probably be good for portraits and anything else that doesn't move much.
Jan 18, 2013
639 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary
fatpiggy wrote: help. I mounted the lens on my D3100 and it still shows "no lens detected". Do I need an adapter for it?
No you don't need an adapter. An adapter is really for when the lens mount doesn't fit your camera's mount - which I assumed it fit.

The problem that you have is that the lens doesn't have any of the fancy Nikon electronics that you get when you buy a Nikon lens - hence you'll be shooting all in manual or live view. In the menu settings, see if there's something for shooting without a lens. In Sony, it's called "release without lens".

Try googling "Nikon shooting without lens"
Jan 15, 2006
470 posts
101 upvotes
fatpiggy wrote: help. I mounted the lens on my D3100 and it still shows "no lens detected". Do I need an adapter for it?
If this lens doesn't have a chip (most likely), it will not meter on your d3100. You need at least a d200/d7k and up to meter.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)