Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Optima UHZ50 Laser 4K Home Theatre Projector - $2600 (28% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2022 12:58 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2005
142 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Optima UHZ50 Laser 4K Home Theatre Projector - $2600 (28% off)

Been eyeing this projector for a while. Now finally on sale.
Regular price: $3600. Now 28% off to $2600.
It’s the most affordable true 4K laser out there.

Optoma UHZ50 Smart 4K UHD Laser Home Theater Projector
3000 Lumens
HDR Adjustment Options
Cinematic Color
Flexible Installation 1.3X Zoom & Vertical Lens Shift
Works with Alexa & Google

Throw distance calculator link: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma ... or-pro.htm
32 replies
Penalty Box
May 28, 2011
1607 posts
2318 upvotes
It was on sale before from Nov 6-13th for this price, this is the usual sale price. Would have been better if it drops to below $2k.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1207 posts
196 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
How is this compared to Hisense L9G?
My Heatware

[external advertising link removed]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5484 posts
5772 upvotes
I know it's not super important but this projector just reminds me of data projectors used in classroom and workplaces. In comparison current gen short throw projectors look so much better.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Nov 3, 2009
441 posts
233 upvotes
Winnipeg
picked this up 2 months ago at same price. very happy with it
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1261 posts
1149 upvotes
Montreal
fatestkid wrote: I know it's not super important but this projector just reminds me of data projectors used in classroom and workplaces. In comparison current gen short throw projectors look so much better.
Short throw projectors are all so big and ugly. Projectors are trending toward smaller and more subtle, with smarter cooling (finally).

What cracks me up / saddens me immensely is the emphasis on onboard speakers or smart TV. These are the easiest things to add on and are always better that way. They just make the object bigger and distract from the important features of a *projector*.

I want a *projector* that does it all - films/media, gaming/simulation, text/fine detail. And quiet, not a drone simulator. But it's impossible to find because reviews go into the infinite rabbit holes created by add on features and unneccessary verticals that the reviewers go for like automatons. All the attributes of these verticals are interrelatedly important at one point or another.

I'd like to get a 4k projector soon, but am going to wait for CES announcements in January. I think the big names will be responding more to all the upstarts (though the upstarts are all using cheap DLP solutions; ALPD 4.0 may mark a sea change in a year or so).
Last edited by davidm on Dec 20th, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 5, 2021
36 posts
54 upvotes
t_mo_t wrote: How is this compared to Hisense L9G?
The screen that comes with the L9G makes all the difference. I think the L9G is a better deal.
1x Zoomer $36 for 6GB BYOD,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Zoomer $45 for 6GB + Samsung A32,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18037 posts
10843 upvotes
Ottawa
Most of these kinds of projectors need to be mounted on a ceiling because they have 1.3X lens. Which means if I want to have a 110" image, it has to be mounted on the ceiling almost directly above my seating space. I have an Epson UB projector from more than 10 years ago, and it makes a racket in fan noise.

Personally I'd rather look at the short throw projectors. With the ALR screen, they are still usable with some light. My ceilings are tall and I have a ceiling fan so overhead projectors don't work for me at all. My room is multiuse so UST is much better suited for me
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1261 posts
1149 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: Most of these kinds of projectors need to be mounted on a ceiling because they have 1.3X lens. Which means if I want to have a 110" image, it has to be mounted on the ceiling almost directly above my seating space. I have an Epson UB projector from more than 10 years ago, and it makes a racket in fan noise.

Personally I'd rather look at the short throw projectors. With the ALR screen, they are still usable with some light. My ceilings are tall and I have a ceiling fan so overhead projectors don't work for me at all. My room is multiuse so UST is much better suited for me
I get that short throw has advantages, though they are a non starter for me because for fine detail/text the screen/positioning has to be absolutely flat & perfect, and my space is awkward, the screen will be several feet up, so the projector can't be just below it, and there's a cathedral ceiling, so it can't project down.
Jun 11, 2009
154 posts
64 upvotes
Owners reporting newest firmware causes banding. Amazon has the LG hu710p on for 2299. It is a laser/led hybrid. Depe ding on your needs the hu710p is much better for color, OS. Lens shift, manual iris, contrast, etc. Only negative is gaming lag of 50ms. Very different projectors. I am waiting for ces 2023 in Jan for announcements of the next Gen.. 65" DMD projectors. Benq has already released their gaming unit X3000i last year and seems to be ahead of everyone in LED tech.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5042 posts
6227 upvotes
davidm wrote: Short throw projectors are all so big and ugly. Projectors are trending toward smaller and more subtle, with smarter cooling (finally).

What cracks me up / saddens me immensely is the emphasis on onboard speakers or smart TV. These are the easiest things to add on and are always better that way. They just make the object bigger and distract from the important features of a *projector*.
From an installation standpoint, short throws are easier to install 'cleanly' as opposed to a regular projector. No need to run wires/power in/through the ceiling, install a mount, calculate throw etc. Besides, when looking at a 120"..would anyone reasonably notice the unit? Also, the Epson unit posted a few months ago seemed small and sleek IMO.

However, If I ever get another projector its going to be a short throw. My days of being Tim Taylor are nearing its end.

Cheers, KH
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1261 posts
1149 upvotes
Montreal
KravenHead wrote: From an installation standpoint, short throws are easier to install 'cleanly' as opposed to a regular projector. No need to run wires/power in/through the ceiling, install a mount, calculate throw etc. Besides, when looking at a 120"..would anyone reasonably notice the unit? Also, the Epson unit posted a few months ago seemed small and sleek IMO.
Sure, though it's still altering your room design. But how about a really minimalist short throw? Highlight its design rather than trying to hide it in a beige or whatever box. And get rid of those onboard speakers that are trounced by any decent outboard set. Or at least make them modular.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2747 posts
3801 upvotes
Barrie, ON
warpdrive wrote: Most of these kinds of projectors need to be mounted on a ceiling because they have 1.3X lens. Which means if I want to have a 110" image, it has to be mounted on the ceiling almost directly above my seating space. I have an Epson UB projector from more than 10 years ago, and it makes a racket in fan noise.
You must be running it on high power mode. I can barely hear my Epson 5040 in Eco mode.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1507 posts
161 upvotes
Ontario
Rob79 wrote: Owners reporting newest firmware causes banding. Amazon has the LG hu710p on for 2299. It is a laser/led hybrid. Depe ding on your needs the hu710p is much better for color, OS. Lens shift, manual iris, contrast, etc. Only negative is gaming lag of 50ms. Very different projectors. I am waiting for ces 2023 in Jan for announcements of the next Gen.. 65" DMD projectors. Benq has already released their gaming unit X3000i last year and seems to be ahead of everyone in LED tech.
I'm going to replace an old Panasonic 1080p in my basement setup. I've got it ceiling mounted already, and am looking for a 4k pj, watching streaming services in 4k, no gaming.
11' from pj to screen, viewing from 12' to a 100" screen.

I was looking at an older Epson refurb(5040 or 5050), but these two units, the Optoma and the LG you mentioned would be similar priced for better 4k? What would be better for my application?
Last edited by Smoothie on Dec 20th, 2022 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 11, 2006
139 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough
I picked this up on the weekend from G & G Electronics - Scarborough Ontario.
Took some time to right size for the current projector screen. It has a 10 degrees vertical lense shift. The horizontal took some effort in the settings.
This was a replacement for my Sony that has both manual controls for vertical and horizontal.

Visions has for the same price (actually a $1 cheaper)
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/6 ... &sku=UHZ50
May 4, 2011
50 posts
44 upvotes
Smoothie wrote: I'm going to replace an old Panasonic 1080p in my basement setup. I've got it ceiling mounted already, and am looking for a 4k pj, watching streaming services in 4k, no gaming.
11' from pj to screen, viewing from 12' to a 100" screen.

I was looking at an older Epson refurb(5040 or 5050), but these two units, the Optoma and the LG you mentioned would be similar priced for better 4k? What would be better for my application?
At 12' on a 100" screen, you will notice no difference between a pixel shifter vs true 4k, so I would save some money and go with the former.
I would highly recommend looking at a used JVC - something like a used x790r will be in the same price range and will blow the Optoma/LGs away.
I went from a 6050UB to a JVC and the difference is night and day.
Sep 19, 2016
120 posts
40 upvotes
Just recently picked up the UHZ45 from eastporters. Its basically the same projector with less installation flexibility, but at the time was 1k cheaper (got mine for 2250). Unless you need installation flexibility I still think you pocket the 300 and get the UHZ45 instead.
May 13, 2022
17 posts
1 upvote
I am looking to sell my Epson 5050ub 4k projector. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Jul 23, 2011
667 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
natetallica wrote: At 12' on a 100" screen, you will notice no difference between a pixel shifter vs true 4k, so I would save some money and go with the former.
I would highly recommend looking at a used JVC - something like a used x790r will be in the same price range and will blow the Optoma/LGs away.
I went from a 6050UB to a JVC and the difference is night and day.
After years of great experiences with OPTOMA whenever it came time to upgrade, I went the used JVC route recently with an x570r.

As my HT is always evolving, I'm keeping an eye on the evolution of laser tech for whenever my next cycle of tweaking and calibrating gives way to upgradeitus....

Generally, I look to spend about $1 to $1.5k above whatever I can get for my past projector when it comes to upgrading. That's usually involved some kind of open box/ refurb OPTOMA for me and someone else getting my old one for dirt cheap. The new JVC lasers have meant that the big boys in this hobby have been willing to part with their older lamp based versions for relatively next to nothing. Surprisingly, the move from my last OPTOMA 51A 4K HDR to the JVC x570r represented the single greatest projector upgrade of my life... greater than the move from 3 gun SONY CRT tech to OPTOMA DLP....greater than the move from 480p to 720p to 1080p to 4KHDR (all with OPTOMA).

I've always had a dedicated, light controlled "black hole" of a room with complete placement flexibility. I know my way around a light meter and a proper suite of test patterns and believe that I've always been able to squeeze the most out of any projector tech I've owned. I can never take a step back from JVC's well earned reputation for blacks or live without it's seemingly infinite lens adjustment (making my CIH scope setup dream a reality!)

This is newer tech at a price point that is rapidly falling into my wheelhouse. Does anyone here have real world experience going from JVC last gen tech to lower end laser tech from OPTOMA that can chime in here?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3464 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
Rob79 wrote: Owners reporting newest firmware causes banding. Amazon has the LG hu710p on for 2299. It is a laser/led hybrid. Depe ding on your needs the hu710p is much better for color, OS. Lens shift, manual iris, contrast, etc. Only negative is gaming lag of 50ms. Very different projectors. I am waiting for ces 2023 in Jan for announcements of the next Gen.. 65" DMD projectors. Benq has already released their gaming unit X3000i last year and seems to be ahead of everyone in LED tech.
Yeah. LG Cinebeam is certainly a better pick over Optoma. I am right now debating between LG 710 vs 810 vs waiting for CES. 710 and 810 are decently discounted at the moment, so it is likely that LG is trying to clear out inventory and going to announce some .65" models. But I am afraid that they will only be available in the market by the second half of 2023, and will be at a much higher price point than $2500-3000.

I guess if one has an absolute ceiling in terms of price, then Optoma UHZ50 or LG Cinebeam 710/810 is a very good purchase at this price point.