Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Orville Redenbacher's Microwave Popcorn 24 Pack $11.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2020 11:52 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1511 posts
1640 upvotes
Toronto
anatman wrote: Anyone buy bulk popcorn kernels and just pop it on their stove? It seems like a tempting option, since it's cheaper, you can make as much or as little as you want, you can flavour it any way you want, and supposedly tastes much better.
Much healthier this way too because you control exactly what goes into it.
Jun 4, 2011
592 posts
944 upvotes
Toronto
Mountainclimber1 wrote: Does it come out salty? I use 1.5 teaspoon flavacol to 1 cup of kernels.

Also, about the kernels, check Poppa Corn. They've got a few kinds. Personally like their premium yellow butterfly kernels, the red bag. They pop big, crispy, and tender.
I find a lot of the salt sticks to the bottom of the pan so it really depends, I also quite like salty popcorn. I have checked poppa corn but I don't think I can justify nor store a 50LB bag of kernels, something like 3kg is much more reasonable.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
LuckyOne wrote: Image
Whirley-Pop

This.
Worth. Every. Penny.

And a plus 1 for the Flavacol "Better Buttery", you put a half teaspoon in the pot before it pops. Tastes like movies but less greasy.
I have this as well, makes perfect popcorn every time
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4169 posts
6806 upvotes
Langley, BC
notenoughsleep wrote: I have this as well, makes perfect popcorn every time
I agree, we love it, but wish it was 2x the size because I'm a pig.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2142 posts
1401 upvotes
Edmonton
I love when Amazon under promises and over delivers. I wasn't supposed to get my delivery till Monday but its showing arriving tomorrow :) :) just in time for Netflix and Chill weekend
Jan 8, 2012
887 posts
744 upvotes
Williams Lake
I have a Hamilton Beach hot air popper that Amazon no longer sells.

Hamilton-Beach 73400C Hot Air Popcorn Popper

I use it most days. Works fine; though it doesn't taste as good as popcorn popped in oil on the stove-top, it's much healthier.

Pro tip? Start the popper up before dropping the kernels in. Reduces strain on the fan, which seems to be what goes first in a ha popper.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
They used to back in the day sell plain salted microwave popcorn... now absolutely everything seems to be gross "buttery".
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
LuckyOne wrote: Whirley-Pop

This.
Worth. Every. Penny.
Or you can just use any old pot and shake it a few times while it pops and deal with having a few unpopped kernels afterwards that just sink to the bottom of the bowl anyway.

$50 is enough for 20 lifetimes worth of unpopped corn waste.
Dec 4, 2013
515 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this really a deal? According to camel camel camel, "Orville Redenbacher Popcorn - Microwave Extra Buttery (24 Pack with 24 bags total)" has been $11.99 or lower every single day for the past year. It was even $10.97 a week ago. I know, I know, we don't have time machines, but it's always this current price or lower, so what am I missing?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1046 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
pistoche wrote: Is this really a deal? According to camel camel camel, "Orville Redenbacher Popcorn - Microwave Extra Buttery (24 Pack with 24 bags total)" has been $11.99 or lower every single day for the past year. It was even $10.97 a week ago. I know, I know, we don't have time machines, but it's always this current price or lower, so what am I missing?
Someone else had made a thread about popcorn on sale at Walmart. I replied with the Amazon purchase I made that was a better deal. Somehow, last night, my post got turned into the OP and now here we are....
Coolcicada wrote: That's funny, I did not create this thread. The OP was a reply a thread someone else made. I guess it was a better deal and a mod edited the thread to put my comment on top, never seen that before - didn't know that was possible!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
notenoughsleep wrote: When I lived in dorm in university, my room was right next to the common room. Every night I could smell microwave popcorn - can't eat microwave popcorn any more because of this.
My father kept an old microwave in the garage so that my sister could do her popcorn without having the smell in the kitchen.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1704 posts
1792 upvotes
Thanks op this will last me a while! Good deal
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Dammit. This thread made me buy the silicone popcorn bowl popper from amazon lol. Now I need to find me some corn for popping.
Nov 26, 2018
326 posts
521 upvotes
Rural AB
pistoche wrote: Is this really a deal? According to camel camel camel, "Orville Redenbacher Popcorn - Microwave Extra Buttery (24 Pack with 24 bags total)" has been $11.99 or lower every single day for the past year. It was even $10.97 a week ago. I know, I know, we don't have time machines, but it's always this current price or lower, so what am I missing?
it's not really a deal, I bought this same 24 pack for $6.70 on a lightning deal a few months back
Dec 29, 2007
677 posts
477 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: They used to back in the day sell plain salted microwave popcorn... now absolutely everything seems to be gross "buttery".
I like the plain salted without butter too which is why I like the boom chikka pop, I don't think it has butter flavoring. However I swear I was looking the other day in the supermarket at a package of Orville's microwave that was salt only. I could be wrong.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
cjam wrote: I like the plain salted without butter too which is why I like the boom chikka pop, I don't think it has butter flavoring. However I swear I was looking the other day in the supermarket at a package of Orville's microwave that was salt only. I could be wrong.
Why spend the $$ eating Boom Chikka Pop if all you want is popcorn and salt ? Get a air popper and pop it yourself, add superfine sea salt to taste.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 15, 2009
525 posts
1213 upvotes
Toronto
Matrixvibe wrote: Now I need to find me some corn for popping.
In the same boat. Amazon's Canadian website is surprisingly sparse on bulk popcorn kernels (dunno what's going on there, but maybe it's a trade thing since corn production is so heavily subsidized in the US).

I did find this place: https://www.poppacorn.ca/

They sell 35lbs popcorn kernel bags on sale for $38.88 (they also have one brand on sale for $36.88). They have a Mississauga location (near the Pearson airport), so people in the GTA can pickup their order and avoid shipping costs. Probably a good idea to use some of the money you saved on some Flavacol based on the rave reviews (they have it on sale for $6.25 and another brand for $5--though apparently it was on sale for $3.99 earlier this month). From my math using suggested serving amount, a single carton of Flavacol is good for more than 100lbs of kernels (!), I've never used it before but seems a little goes a long way.

Cost-wise, I'm thinking anything around $1/lb for bulk popping corn is good. For comparison, the current microwave popcorn bag deal ($12/(24x99g/453.6g/lb)) is $2.29/lb of popcorn. The Amazon price for Orville Redenbacher kernels is a complete joke ($29.29/3600g/453.6g/lb) @ $3.69/lb.

EDIT: okay, turns out you don't need to search that far for reasonably priced kernels and don't have to buy huge quantities. I grabbed a compliments 1kg bag for ~$2 from FreshCo.
Last edited by anatman on Apr 24th, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2, 2016
456 posts
637 upvotes
anatman wrote: Anyone buy bulk popcorn kernels and just pop it on their stove? It seems like a tempting option, since it's cheaper, you can make as much or as little as you want, you can flavour it any way you want, and supposedly tastes much better.
I do that and season with the Flavacol popcorn salt that RFD is fond of (i see a deal every so often) and a bit of butter sometimes. Super good, and way less of the bad stuff.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
1734 posts
1888 upvotes
Toronto
It's taken me a while to get though since I ordered back in Dec, but I got 6 bags left and despite the expiration date being 9-29-20, I noticed the the flavor's starting to change.
untitled.png
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
Who the heck bought all the Flavacol from amazon... Their cheapest buying option is $55 WTF
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|