[Amazon.ca] Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Light with DIM mode

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2018 2:44 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Light with DIM mode

looking for outdoor solar light. This one has good reviews, is pretty bright, has a nice feature "DIM mode" - it stays in a low light mode all the time at night and brightens up when motion is detected.
Also it looks like a security camera, so make someone think you have a video surveillance :)
This is a Lightning Deal. Also Amazon didn't charge me the tax. I needed more than one and found it is limited only 1 color item per customer. However you can always use a different account.
Last edited by VladD973383 on Feb 26th, 2018 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
18 replies
Feb 10, 2006
287 posts
159 upvotes
hard to believe:
5w equivalent to 110w
1400 lumens
tiny solar
???
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes
Probably. But you don't know unless tested and could rely on the reviews only
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
Capital B capital S. Gets a fail on Fakespot and Reviewmeta. Stay away IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13688 posts
4221 upvotes
RFD
Just by looking at the photos of the unit and what it is comprised of, it definitely cannot do what these specs say it can do. It doesn't add up. Fake
Dec 23, 2010
261 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
VladD973383 wrote: Probably. But you don't know unless tested and could rely on the reviews only
The most efficient LED bulbs that you can buy right now are around 100lumens/watt. Are you saying you believe 280 lumens/watts (1400lumens/5watts) is a possibility?
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes
xtothel wrote: The most efficient LED bulbs that you can buy right now are around 100lumens/watt. Are you saying you believe 280 lumens/watts (1400lumens/5watts) is a possibility?
I do believe manufacturers almost always exaggerate product features, which is definitely a case with these lights. But it still has very good reviews saying about quality and features, so I though quality/price deserves to be posted here
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
VladD973383 wrote: I do believe manufacturers almost always exaggerate product features, which is definitely a case with these lights. But it still has very good reviews saying about quality and features, so I though quality/price deserves to be posted here
...and Amazon reviews are always reliable..... :rolleyes:

One story among tens of thousands
https://fee.org/articles/my-surprising- ... -reviewer/
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
VladD973383 wrote: This product has 47 reviews on amazon.ca and 722 reviews on amazon.com. Wondering what is your approach for researches before buying anything or posting a deal?
See my first post in this thread. Also, experience, knowledge, and other research.

More reviews on Amazon doesn't equate to greater likelihood that they are reliable. A red flag for me is seeing WAY more reviews for a product than would seem reasonable. Most people don't post product reviews. Almost all people receiving free product posts a review and 99% of them are 5 star. These sellers send out hundreds of freebies to generate more 5 star product reviews, which leads to more search result hits, which leads to more sales. It's a simple formula.

For such products, concentrate on 'critical' reviews (can be 1-3 stars). Odds are they are not paid reviews, and are likely to be more honest. If all the complaints are about something trivial, the product may be legit. If there are fundamental issues, you might want to walk away.

There is no silver bullet here. Weeding out good information from bad isn't easy, and takes time to learn how to spot red flags.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes
brghunter wrote: See my first post in this thread. Also, experience, knowledge, and other research.

More reviews on Amazon doesn't equate to greater likelihood that they are reliable. A red flag for me is seeing WAY more reviews for a product than would seem reasonable. Most people don't post product reviews. Almost all people receiving free product posts a review and 99% of them are 5 star. These sellers send out hundreds of freebies to generate more 5 star product reviews, which leads to more search result hits, which leads to more sales. It's a simple formula.

For such products, concentrate on 'critical' reviews (can be 1-3 stars). Odds are they are not paid reviews, and are likely to be more honest. If all the complaints are about something trivial, the product may be legit. If there are fundamental issues, you might want to walk away.

There is no silver bullet here. Weeding out good information from bad isn't easy, and takes time to learn how to spot red flags.
brghunter wrote: Capital B capital S. Gets a fail on Fakespot and Reviewmeta. Stay away IMO.
pat_wobbly wrote: Use fakespot to check Amazon reviews.this product has both 'F' and the company has a 'C' rating on average.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/solar- ... da326cb934
Interesting, just tried fakespot on Amazon Echo 2: https://www.fakespot.com/product/echo-2 ... oal-fabric
And it showed even worse results. Based on fakespot data, we should trust more the solar lights deal :)

Solar Motion Sensor Light,1400-Lumens Bright LED Spotlight 5W(110W Equiv.)DrawGreen Solar Lights Outdoor Wireless Security Lighting for Porch Patio Garden,Aluminum Solar Powered Lights(White):
Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 20.0% of the reviews are reliable.
This product had a total of 47 reviews on Feb 26 2018.
Interesting tidbit: the most used word by reviewers is light.
How are reviewers describing this item?
light, bright, great, solar and good.
Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

Echo (2nd Generation) - Charcoal Fabric
Analysis overview
Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 16.0% of the reviews are reliable.
This product had a total of 632 reviews on Jan 23 2018.
Interesting tidbit: the most used words by reviewers are love and alexa.
How are reviewers describing this item?
prime, good, great, quality and set.
Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

Any other proposals on checking Amazon reviews?
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes
brghunter wrote: Re-read my last post.
Let's stop discussing amazon reviews and how reliable they are in this thread. Please create a new one if you want to continue and probably the key points should added to RFD FAQ. I think moderators will agree on that.
This thread was posted for a particular item. Yes it is not coming from the seller with a long and very good history on amazon, but if you restrict yourself looking at such sellers only + validating all the other trustworthy points you mentioned, I'm afraid, very often you will not be able to buy the things you need, at least for the price you expect.
I don't see any good reason to downvote this thread. Sometimes people post deals with less reviews and lower ratings (not from amazon only). RFD forum is to discuss how good is the "product quality to (deal) price" ratio. Amazon has a good return policy and in case of misleading product information (like 1400-Lumens) you can always return it back.
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
VladD973383 wrote: Let's stop discussing amazon reviews and how reliable they are in this thread.
You're the one who keeps bringing it back up.
VladD973383 wrote: I don't see any good reason to downvote this thread.
That's the problem. Is this a good product? It's a matter of opinion at this point. Why to people downvote deals? In their opinion, it's either not a good deal, bad product, bad merchant, etc. Obviously, you don't share this opinion - that's fine, nobody is telling you to delete the thread. If you want to discuss the voting system, feel free to post in the appropriate forum.
Feb 10, 2006
287 posts
159 upvotes
Amazon reviews are always reliable???????
OMG
give me $5 write a nice review for you now!
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes
brghunter wrote: You're the one who keeps bringing it back up.
and I'm the one who offered to finish it "peacefully"
brghunter wrote: That's the problem. Is this a good product? It's a matter of opinion at this point. Why to people downvote deals? In their opinion, it's either not a good deal, bad product, bad merchant, etc. Obviously, you don't share this opinion - that's fine, nobody is telling you to delete the thread. If you want to discuss the voting system, feel free to post in the appropriate forum.
Exactly! Let's listen your opinion on this product instead of discussing the reliability of amazon reviews.