• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2021 2:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2733 posts
545 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] OXO 11-pound kitchen scale - $42

Pretty good deal on a highly-rated and (supposedly) well-designed kitchen scale. Too bad it went on sale long after I bought the Ozeri Escali. Ozeri is still cheaper now, but at $42, I would have probably gone for the Oxo.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 7th, 2021 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link/nonRFD affiliate tag removed
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
24 replies
Dec 27, 2018
178 posts
258 upvotes
I know nothing about kitchen stuff but I like the brand name.
Jul 8, 2019
188 posts
249 upvotes
Pen Island
The pull out display is really neat. I might jump on this since the 11 pound scale I bought from Wallyworld is a pile of junk.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1892 posts
1558 upvotes
AB
This or Acaia Lunar?
Jul 3, 2017
245 posts
693 upvotes
Is this worth the $22 premium over a generic $20 kitchen scale?
Nov 25, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
Looks like a historic low at 42, beats the price watch I had at 60.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3553 posts
2206 upvotes
West Coast
I've been using this one from Ozeri for years: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00416 ... UTF8&psc=1

20 bucks, over 64,000 reviews at 4.7/5 stars, and same weight capacity. Granted, it doesn't have the pull-out face (which is cool and handy at times) but guess it depends on how often you have big items on it that shadow it out.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Feb 6, 2020
635 posts
554 upvotes
“In 2018 we tested an older (and now discontinued) version of the OXO 11 Pound Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull Out Display, and it just wasn’t very accurate. Readings were off by a whole gram or more, depending on where on the platform you placed the weight. It also failed to read anything 2 grams or lighter and wavered greatly in the 20-gram and 5-gram tests. We wouldn’t tolerate that kind of inaccuracy in a budget pick—much less something that costs $50. We may give the newer version a chance in a future retest, but unless it’s markedly improved from its predecessors, you’re much better off sticking with one of our more accurate and less costly picks.”

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... hen-scale/
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3668 posts
4981 upvotes
Oakville
Richfields wrote: I've been using this one from Ozeri for years: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00416 ... UTF8&psc=1

20 bucks, over 64,000 reviews at 4.7/5 stars, and same weight capacity. Granted, it doesn't have the pull-out face (which is cool and handy at times) but guess it depends on how often you have big items on it that shadow it out.
Ozeri scales continue to be the top scales.

Oxo doesn't stand a chance against an ozeri scale.

I'm a die hard Oxo fan and have almost everything Oxo in the kitchen. You can see my thread history where I support Oxo, and I can say that for kitchen scale go Ozeri or go home.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Nov 14, 2003
599 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for a gram scale, to accurately measure small quantities, like yeast or salt?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4600 posts
3385 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote: Any recommendations for a gram scale, to accurately measure small quantities, like yeast or salt?
You need a scale made for drug sellers, with an accuracy of 2 decimal points if you 0.x accuracy. Otherwise, one decimal place accuracy would be enough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2733 posts
545 upvotes
LarryT778370 wrote: Price in the title? Was hoping for something in $20 range
Added it in.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12209 upvotes
Markham
Cnsultnt wrote: Any recommendations for a gram scale, to accurately measure small quantities, like yeast or salt?
You don't need to buy a new scale for this. The scale reads right if you dump it all in at once, it doesn't read well if you sprinkle in small amounts.

I have my own chart for what 1/4, 1/2, whole tsp weighs by weighing perhaps a whole Tbl of yeast or salt. I convert the TBL measured amount and use the measuring spoons for recipes - I don't rely on the scale. For pretty much everything you cook, plus or minus a gram or two is not going to matter. [It does matters to ppl like Mr White though].
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12209 upvotes
Markham
You don't need to buy a new scale for this. The scale reads right if you dump it all in at once, it doesn't read well if you sprinkle in small amounts.

I have my own chart for what 1/4, 1/2, whole tsp weighs by weighing perhaps a whole Tbl of yeast or salt. I convert the TBL measured amount and use the measuring spoons for recipes - I don't rely on the scale. For pretty much everything you cook, plus or minus a gram or two is not going to matter. [It does matters to ppl like Mr White though].

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12209 upvotes
Markham
Sale looks like it's over ...shows $68.01 price.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5280 upvotes
Toronto
Dead - $68.01 for me
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2367 posts
1317 upvotes
.fess wrote: This or Acaia Lunar?
Completely different scales with completely different specifications for completely different purposes at completely different price points.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1051 posts
914 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Any recommendations for a decent yet affordable coffee scale?
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3334 posts
5305 upvotes
GTA North
anshiren wrote: Any recommendations for a decent yet affordable coffee scale?

For a small scale you can go to Walmart and look for the StarFrit mini scale. It will measure up to 100grams. I own this scale and it used 2 x AAA. I also have the larger one that takes a 9v battery which works for me as I can swap out the digital multimeter/smoke alarm batteries which use 9v tho I am looking for one that takes 2xAA as I have lots of those around.

Here are the two that I own of which I am referring to.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/starfrit-h ... 0196600240

https://www.starfrit.com/en/electronic-kitchen-scale-36

https://www.starfrit.com/en/high-precis ... 721006coun

I don't recall seeing this back a few years ago so it must be a new. If they had the 17oz/500g model back then in the same or close to the 100g model size I would have gotten that. That would be more handy when making dehydrated meals or measuring items at the bulkbarn/supermarket. I got my 100g scale originally so that I can measure out my dehydrated veggies and meats when I'm out hiking so I don't have to package single portion sizes each time when I'm running low on bags or more time/effort in making meal packs when I can portion out 4-5 servings per bag and add/subtract how much I want to add to a meal knowing how much I have left. Also for when I'm out fishing I tend to find a lot of tackle and weights so I like to weigh the weighs so I know how heavy it is and if I want to buy that weight heft I know how heavy it is when I'm shopping for it.

https://www.starfrit.com/en/high-precision-scale-3
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)