• May 13th, 2020 9:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1915 posts
1757 upvotes
Montréal

[Amazon.ca] Oxo Carving and Cutting Board $33.79

One of the best cutting boards , it’s very big, globally well rated and this might be lowest price ever

The price just dropped again
Last edited by thesubmitter on Apr 30th, 2020 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
47 replies
Aug 8, 2006
95 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
I have one - it’s too big to fit in our sink but otherwise it’s great for big roasts and whatnot.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3260 posts
173 upvotes
Mississauga
Curious why people are giving this the thumbs down? Any other recommendations for a large cutting board as I'm in the market for one? We've been eating a lot more meat during the quarantine :)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2014
1010 posts
506 upvotes
Ohboiya wrote: Curious why people are giving this the thumbs down? Any other recommendations for a large cutting board as I'm in the market for one? We've been eating a lot more meat during the quarantine :)
Boos.
Oct 15, 2013
332 posts
328 upvotes
Ohboiya wrote: Curious why people are giving this the thumbs down? Any other recommendations for a large cutting board as I'm in the market for one? We've been eating a lot more meat during the quarantine :)
I love my 18 x 24 bamboo butcher block (Totally Bamboo Big Kahuna). We keep a few flex sheets cutting boards for quick (or stainier) jobs and work with them on the block sometimes. It's not available on amazon.ca anymore but I stumbled upon this beauty: https://www.amazon.ca/Ironwood-Grain-Pr ... merReviews

If the person doing most of the cutting is tall a thicker block gives a higher working surface, which in my case reduces back ache.
Dec 21, 2016
82 posts
108 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks, have one of the regular Oxo ones, loved it so much gave one to my mom too. Prefer them over harder, thicker and heavier boards because they keep my knife sharper longer and are easier to hand wash.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3260 posts
173 upvotes
Mississauga
Ok ... didn't want to overthink it ... just got the one the OP posted about lol
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3958 posts
1836 upvotes
Mississauga
Ohboiya wrote: This one costs $12 more and is made out of wood and larger ... no?

https://www.amazon.ca/Mountain-Woods-Pr ... 150&sr=1-7
Be careful with things like this. There is a reason why some are cheap and some cost big $$$. If you want wood, make sure its solid wood. Butcher block. Otherwise with time it will split, crack etc. Also, like anything wood, you will have to maintain it properly (wax, oil).
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45329 posts
5875 upvotes
Richmond Hill
razorblade2099 wrote: Plastic is actually a superior cutting board. Easier to clean, maintain, and gentler on the knives. For appearance though, ya, wood all the way. I know nothing about that cutting board however.
This is actually incorrect. Plastic is too gentle on knives, which means they cut into the plastic and creates grooves that are hard to clean and bacteria will grow. End grain wood cutting boards are best for knives, they are easy on them because of how wood fibres are oriented and not because the knives cut through them, which means there is no space for bacteria to be trapped.
Dec 29, 2017
553 posts
467 upvotes
Very good board, been using the prep and utility board for almost 10 years. I’ve only had to replace it once due to warping. Food discoloures it as well. I like that I can just toss it in the dishwasher when I’m done. Interested to see the difference in the carving board so I’m ordering one (thanks OP). The liquid edges on the UTILITY board help to catch the drippings but are not too deep so they fill up fast. I use a nice wood board with deeper edges when letting large cooked meat to rest before slicing. OXO has a solid warranty replacement if anything happens. Looking forward to trying this version!
Last edited by ODoyleRulz on Apr 29th, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1915 posts
1757 upvotes
Montréal
Wood and plastic are both good. (Good quality plastic)

Bamboo is too hard and dulls knives

Plastic is often dishwasher safer which is a pro

Wood apparently according to recent research kills bacteria by sucking it in and squeezing it

You should replace your cutting board if it becomes to
Scored , those deep cut marks suck store bacteria.

I spent sometime researching the world of cutting boards
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1108 posts
962 upvotes
Episode666 wrote: I love my 18 x 24 bamboo butcher block (Totally Bamboo Big Kahuna). We keep a few flex sheets cutting boards for quick (or stainier) jobs and work with them on the block sometimes.
I find bamboo to be far too hard a cutting surface (19% harder than maple, a hardwood), it's almost like cutting on glass, which is about the worst surface there is for your knives. The board in this thread seems to be a better choice if you value your knives.
Oct 15, 2013
332 posts
328 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I find bamboo to be far too hard a cutting surface (19% harder than maple, a hardwood), it's almost like cutting on glass, which is about the worst surface there is for your knives. The board in this thread seems to be a better choice if you value your knives.
Moot point. Bamboo is only marginally more abrasive than maple because of its higher silica content, kind of the same difference between end grain or not. Not to be compared with glass or plastic boards.

Also, it's a total non issue for anyone who maintains their knives, I don't mind sharpening them once more through their lives if that's the difference between bamboo and maple.
Sep 25, 2016
137 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks OP
I just threw out three flex boards because two were cracked, and one would hold bits of raw chicken , no dishwasher here except me, so i was luckily able to see it. Saw these boards on wirecutter a while ago and wasnt ready to pull the trigger, but sure am now!

Not sure how bad/good this is, but I find that i sleep a bit easier when i spray down scuffed up plastic boards with a dilute (ie 5-10%) bleach/water solution before a final rinse.

BEfore all the shutdowns came up, i was considering getting a thicker piece of HDPE and using a router to create a groove to hold liquids when cutting things, but i'm a bit...housebound right now.
Sep 3, 2014
9 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have this and I find it too big for 90% of my uses. The only time I'll take it out is for brisket or, sometimes if I plan on making something that I am going to be cutting for an extended period of time I.e. Vegetable soup from scratch.