• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 7:28 pm
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
564 posts
1610 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] OXO Covered Ice Cube Tray (2 pack) (Add-On) $9.79

This OXO Covered Ice Cube Tray, SOLD AS "2 PACK", is currently at an all time low of $9.79. It usually goes for $15-20.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074852MR7

It happens to be priced at the same price as the individual one.
It is the best ice cube tray according to wirecutter: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... cube-tray/
Thread Summary
55 replies
Nov 1, 2015
796 posts
759 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I cannot believe I just read an entire article about ice cube trays. THIS COVID EH?
Apr 23, 2008
22 posts
38 upvotes
Very nice ice trays.. Have one.. You can slide them out by pressing the ice cubes from one side and they slide out..
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3472 posts
1766 upvotes
I have one. They work well, but after several years of tweaking the corners of the tray to loosen the ice cubes, the lid has started to crack. It's not cracked badly and is still perfectly functional, but I guess it's just wear and tear.
LarryT778370 wrote: hmm.. so the one that OP posted will spill?
Yes if you overfill the tray and/or don't keep it level.
Jul 13, 2016
277 posts
417 upvotes
The one OP posted is designed not to spill, but it's also not a silicone tray it's a rigid plastic tray. It's identical to what you would get any dollar store or Walmart or whatever, plus a lid.

The reviews on Amazon seem mixed as to whether or not the lid is effective. I assume a lid wouldn't work at all on a silicone tray since they are more flexible.
Last edited by soupmaster666 on Jul 10th, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3014 posts
543 upvotes
Vancouver
IggyCity wrote: Reading some reviews, I think the silicon cover "no spill" version is better. Too bad it's $20 per tray:

Oxo 1132080BL No Spill Ice Cube Tray, Blue/White
I found this at homesense on clearance for $9 and was initially hesitant to spend close to $10 on an ice cube tray. But it is is great. No issues with water spilling when you're trying to manoever the tray into the freezer. I really like the silicon cover.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3472 posts
1766 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote:
The reviews on Amazon seem mixed as to whether or not the lid is effective. I assume a lid wouldn't work at all on a silicone tray since they are more flexible.
I find the lid effective for loosening the cubes so that they don't go flying. Also, when I dump the whole tray into my blender to make a smoothie, I hold the lid against the tray to control the cubes so that they all make it into the jug. I suppose something like a plate or a cutting board would also serve the same purpose.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
564 posts
1610 upvotes
Toronto
IggyCity wrote: Reading some reviews, I think the silicon cover "no spill" version is better. Too bad it's $20 per tray:

Oxo 1132080BL No Spill Ice Cube Tray, Blue/White
If you read the article...

"Our previous pick was OXO’s Good Grips No Spill Ice Cube Tray. We liked the innovative silicone lid which allows you to fill the tray from the tap, pour off the excess, and stick the lid on using the surface tension of the water. This design means you can stack the tray anywhere in the freezer, even at an angle, without spilling the contents. However, after long term testing we found that the silicone lid imparted the flavor of freezer burn to the cubes. Also, the moat around the outside of the tray created useless and messy shards of ice that would fall out and turn into puddles of meltwater."
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1223 posts
1987 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote: The one OP posted is designed not to spill, but it's also not a silicone tray it's a rigid plastic tray. It's identical to what you would get any dollar store or Walmart or whatever, plus a lid.

Thanks for the info. I am currently using the one with plastic on the outside and silicone bottom for each cube. I find it much easier to remove the ice cube. The only downside is it doesn't have the lid
Nov 5, 2006
902 posts
3851 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: I find the lid effective for loosening the cubes so that they don't go flying. Also, when I dump the whole tray into my blender to make a smoothie, I hold the lid against the tray to control the cubes so that they all make it into the jug. I suppose something like a plate or a cutting board would also serve the same purpose.
Why not take the frozen cubes out of the tray and put in in a zip-lock baggie?

Sorry, but I think this isn't a deal, it's a gimmick. I'll stick to my Dollar Tree trays, thank you.
May 18, 2012
955 posts
746 upvotes
MARKHAM
What are the odds i was actually looking at ice cube trays last night

Oxo usually has amazing products but this doesn’t seem that good, lots of reviews say its hard to get the ice out.

I bought something similar to this three years ago:

https://www.amazon.ca/VicTsing-Easy-Rel ... 714&sr=8-6

Super easy to get the ice cubes out but it finally cracked after like 3 years of use which i think is pretty good.

I’m debating whether to buy it again or buy something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Fxexblin-Silicone ... 714&sr=8-8

Pros are you get more ice cubes and it seems like it’s more durable.

Cons are it takes up more space i guess

I think I’m just going to buy my original ice cube tray set again, they worked great and if i have to spend $20 every 3 years then so be it, i dont want to waste time letting my ice cube tray thaw out before getting ice. if you have a larger freezer go with the honeycomb trays if you dont mind smaller individual cubes.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3472 posts
1766 upvotes
coopercold wrote: Why not take the frozen cubes out of the tray and put in in a zip-lock baggie?
I don't understand what the suggested benefit is here.