320 posts
256 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Patriot 512GB USB Drives - $102.99

34 replies
Feb 9, 2004
704 posts
105 upvotes
Markham
I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
7559 posts
7835 upvotes
I'd rather get an external SSD, or create one, at this price.

@Chipbug is right.

God bless the effort though, OP.
Aug 8, 2006
74 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Chipbug wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 1:11 pm
I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
No cable to carry around, which might get damaged in a bag, I guess??

That being said I agree with you @Chipbug - I have a Samsung T5 SSD and it's great.
Mar 17, 2015
238 posts
321 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Chipbug wrote:
To load up with music for plugging into vehicles radio? Otherwise I agree with you.
Smile at strangers... joy is easier to spread than misery (unless the stranger offers you candy, then run like hell!).
Aug 4, 2008
13 posts
8 upvotes
Victoria
SSD + Enclosure (or Sata to USB adapter/cable) will be cheaper and better than USB thumb drive and offers more use-cases for later. That being said, if physical space is a concern (such as plugging into a car head unit) or compatibility concerns, the USB thumb drive would be better (some devices don't play nice with a adapters/converters like sata to usb).

For me personally, I never use my USB drives for long term storage, so having a 512gb thumb drive is a bit pointless. Primarily, I use usb drives to move data around, or to install/test/play with different linux distros (or installing Windows 10), and essentially a 32gb drive will suffice for me. For my longer term storage (such as media or VMs), I actually just purchased an Adata 1tb SSD for around $130 and will be using that with a sata to usb cable (I was using an older portable 500gb HDD for this earlier).
Dec 18, 2017
102 posts
63 upvotes
Chipbug wrote:
Fair question.
-Car decks that accept USB are one great use as the more space you have, the more music you can dump on it
-TV's that support USB's can be loaded up with a bunch of films/TV shows or photos.(you can use an external hdd but when you wallmount the tv, it can be a pain trying to tape the hdd to the TV to stop it from falling)
-For little projects like a Rasberry Pi, a USB stick is usually a nice fit

Overall, it's definitely not something that a ton of people will find useful but for the ones that do, it's a good price for that size.
Jun 15, 2011
39206 posts
5764 upvotes
King City
Thanks OP! Wonder if this is the cheapest around? Also a good PM opportunity with retailers? Any coupons to stack?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
222 posts
60 upvotes
BBQ Haven
pk1234 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:08 pm
-Car decks that accept USB are one great use as the more space you have, the more music you can dump on it
I wonder if thumb drives of that size are formatted NTFS and if so your car deck probably does not support that :-)
Feb 8, 2017
97 posts
17 upvotes
Anyone know of a good USB key with similar read/writes rates but with 32GB of storage. I don't need 512 GB but I need some faster speeds.
Dec 18, 2017
102 posts
63 upvotes
Zork1984 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:33 pm
I wonder if thumb drives of that size are formatted NTFS and if so your car deck probably does not support that :-)
You can still use FAT. It should support 512Gb with no issues. It's you can't do files over 4GB, which is not an issue with music
Jun 15, 2011
39206 posts
5764 upvotes
King City
What is the reliability ratings for Patriot USB drives? Also are the read/write specs on these two drives good?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
10 posts
9 upvotes
Not sure why you'd name a usb stick "Rage". Maybe because thats what people do when they try to stick in a USB stick, flip it over, then realize they were right the first time.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11600 posts
1493 upvotes
sierravista wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:37 pm
Anyone know of a good USB key with similar read/writes rates but with 32GB of storage. I don't need 512 GB but I need some faster speeds.
128 for 30 looks good if it can do 400/300