Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] PETFON Pet GPS Tracker, Real-Time Tracking Device,No Monthly fee, 30% off $154.10

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2020 6:52 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
39 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] PETFON Pet GPS Tracker, Real-Time Tracking Device,No Monthly fee, 30% off $154.10

Was looking for a GPS / location tracker for my dog. Most of the GPS tracker require data plan for SIM or subscription service. I did a lot of research on tracking device without monthly fee, e.g. Bluetooth tracker. Tried a Tile Pro 2020, which has a relatively short range (100ft in my test) when the object moves. I come across with PETFON Pet GPS Tracker, which sells on Amazon. It uses LoRa technology, a wireless radio frequency technology is a long range, low power. It has a transmitter tie on the moving object and a receiver stay connect to your phone via Bluetooth. The transmitter will send GPS data to the receiver then transmit to your phone app to track the the object.

It advertise of a range of up to 0.65 miles (~1km) in downtown/dense space and 3.5 miles (5.6km) in an open environment.

It was CDN$ 239.99. Price just came down when I check today. 30% off plus $15 coupon = $154.10

Just order one and see how it performs.
Images
  • petfon.JPG
Last edited by year2000 on Aug 31st, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Jun 18, 2016
417 posts
1141 upvotes
Looks decent but only 8 hour battery life :/
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
39 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
For pet tracking the device can't pack with a big and heavy battery. I intent to use it during walk in case it get lost or escape. It will last you couple days if you walk your pet 30min x 3 times a day. It also comes with a compact charging station that you store the transmitter / receiver. Perfect if you are out on camping and need to recharge the device.
MooseV2 wrote: Looks decent but only 8 hour battery life :/
Sep 13, 2011
851 posts
509 upvotes
Québec
year2000 wrote: Was looking for a GPS / location tracker for my dog. Most of the GPS tracker require data plan for SIM or subscription service. I did a lot of research on tracking device without monthly fee, e.g. Bluetooth tracker. Tried a Tile Pro 2020, which has a relatively short range (100ft in my test) when the object moves. I come across with PETFON Pet GPS Tracker, which sells on Amazon. It uses LoRa technology, a wireless radio frequency technology is a long range, low power. It has a transmitter tie on the moving object and a receiver stay connect to your phone via Bluetooth. The transmitter will send GPS data to the receiver then transmit to your phone app to track the the object.

It advertise of a range of up to 0.65 miles (~1km) in downtown/dense space and 3.5 miles (5.6km) in an open environment.

It was CDN$ 239.99. Price just came down when I check today. 30% off plus $15 coupon = $154.10

Just order one and see how it performs.
Those ranges are marketing, I would be surprise you would reach those since your device operate in the 902-928 MHz range.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2473 posts
1691 upvotes
LoRa is still an emerging technology, I think it should be perfect for pet tracking, much longer range than bluetooth, and the chipset prices are coming down fast (now around $9 on ebay). There's no reason why we won't see a device like this selling for $4 at dollarama in a few years
Dec 25, 2010
19 posts
36 upvotes
montreal
We have been using it with moderate success for a outdoor cat in the city, the device is a bit bulky but it didnt bother the cat. The precision is not as good as a car gps, its precise enough to know wich neighbour the cat is visiting but not really pinpoint it. Its doesnt work inside houses and will not always tell you correctly wich side of the street. If the cat is 300M away you will need to walk closer to have a reliable adress.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2258 posts
606 upvotes
I doubt that it will work beyond the marketing speak. How will it lock a GPS signal if it is hanging on the dog's neck?
Have a look at the Dogtra even if a bit more expensive.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4537 posts
2492 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
andreid wrote: I doubt that it will work beyond the marketing speak. How will it lock a GPS signal if it is hanging on the dog's neck?
Have a look at the Dogtra even if a bit more expensive.
I use Tractive for the last 2 years for one of my cat.

You need to pay a monthly fee but it's also much more convenient (like 3 days battery life and working at an infinite distance from my phone)

It lock a GPS signals quite easily from a cat neck at a much closer distance from the ground and it also work from inside a house, so I'm quite sure locking a dog is even easier.
Feb 26, 2018
105 posts
67 upvotes
The problem isn't distance from the ground but that GPS receivers typically need line of site to the satellites. I guess if the receiver was on the side of the unit it would eventually get a low-medium confidence signal.
Feb 13, 2004
797 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
What about using this on your bike? We have huge problem in Vancouver with bike thefts?
May 22, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Great!!! Now all need is a deal on a cat.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1318 posts
1357 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Ryankay wrote: The problem isn't distance from the ground but that GPS receivers typically need line of site to the satellites. I guess if the receiver was on the side of the unit it would eventually get a low-medium confidence signal.
Have you ever used the GPS on your phone, fitness tracker, or even those old car GPS units that didn't even have cellar connectivity? Same idea. Clear line of sight to satellites can easily be achieved with a outdoor device around a collar.

My concern with this device will be the transmission range to the receiver.