• Nov 2nd, 2020 3:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1675 posts
504 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] Philips Hue Tap $39.97

Had this in my wishlist for quite a while as it would never drop in price. For those that are already using the Hue ecosystem the tap is on sale for $39.97 (lowest historical price according to 3xc). Don't think I've ever seen these on clearance before at retail shops.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 2nd, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2427 posts
198 upvotes
Get the regular hue dimmer instead. These are hard to press and awkard. The batteries in the dimmer last a long, long time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1675 posts
504 upvotes
Ottawa
enforcerviper wrote: Get the regular hue dimmer instead. These are hard to press and awkard. The batteries in the dimmer last a long, long time.
Got a number of the regular on/off dimmers already set up in the house but wanted something for the bedside and office when you're just too lazy to get up or use a smart device lol
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2427 posts
198 upvotes
surrealillusion wrote: Got a number of the regular on/off dimmers already set up in the house but wanted something for the bedside and office when you're just too lazy to get up or use a smart device lol
The hue dimmer remote is wireless.
Jul 22, 2009
337 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
surrealillusion wrote: Got a number of the regular on/off dimmers already set up in the house but wanted something for the bedside and office when you're just too lazy to get up or use a smart device lol
I also have the regular dimmers (4) 1 tap and about 32 lights.

Trust me, just get another dimmer switch. They are way better - there is a reason the taps are going to be discontinued. Also, I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe the dimmer switches extend the mesh network since they are powered. The tap switches, operating as an unpowered source do not extend the mesh network.

Dimmer switches -
4 buttons (same as tap)
Slimmer
Lighter
cheaper
easier to press (significantly easier!)
magnetic mount easy to remove controller if you choose to

TAP switch
Bulky
hard to press
Does not extend mesh
Is more expensive than dimmer switch
Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1362 posts
542 upvotes
enforcerviper wrote: Get the regular hue dimmer instead. These are hard to press and awkard. The batteries in the dimmer last a long, long time.
Second this, don't really understand why these are more expensive when the dimmer has basically the same functionality.
Aug 25, 2012
252 posts
438 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Previous commenters -> I’m going to say this is negative so I can hoard and resell on CL/kijiji...
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Aug 25, 2012
252 posts
438 upvotes
VANCOUVER
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/philips-hue-tap-review/

Unbiased cnet review from 2018. Doesn’t run off battery -> runs off kinetic energy when you press the button down... Cool.
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2645 posts
1974 upvotes
North York
So the dimmer and this tap function differently.

The dimmer allows you to control a fixed # of lights.

This hue tap seems to be able to set scenes with each scene controlling different lights.

e.g. One button to turn living room and kitchen lights on and everything else, another button to turn all lights off and turn bedroom lights on. You cant do this with the dimmer.
Sep 14, 2020
21 posts
97 upvotes
Maybe someone can help me out. I managed to find a few of the dimmers (bulb w/ remote) on clearance at HD last week. I've only opened two of them, but neither works with their remotes. I've tried some on the reset options for the remotes I've read about online, and also cycling power to the actual bulb, but still no control with the remote. Any advice?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1675 posts
504 upvotes
Ottawa
X123000 wrote: Maybe someone can help me out. I managed to find a few of the dimmers (bulb w/ remote) on clearance at HD last week. I've only opened two of them, but neither works with their remotes. I've tried some on the reset options for the remotes I've read about online, and also cycling power to the actual bulb, but still no control with the remote. Any advice?
The dimmers control rooms in the Hue app have you configured them via the mobile app?
Aug 25, 2012
252 posts
438 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Also available for this price at bestbuy and no quantity restrictions

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ph ... h/13233071

Nov 26, 2008
903 posts
597 upvotes
GTA
mine just stopped working last night. The buttons are awkward but not crazy bad. I would say its a hard loud click/push as the only downside.
Sep 26, 2019
124 posts
236 upvotes
Montreal, QC
xmdkx4u2nv wrote: ... Also, I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe the dimmer switches extend the mesh network since they are powered. ...
The Philips Hue Dimmer Switch is battery powered and battery-powered ZigBee devices don't serve as repeaters because it would greatly reduce their battery-life. Typically most mains-powered ZigBee devices serve as repeaters.

I agree with your opinion that it is a better device than the Tap product.

FWIW, I have purchased several Dimmer Switches for my home and for a family member (thanks to RFD, for far less than the retail $29.99; from Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix when it was liquidating them for $15 and even $10 at one branch).

They are extremely versatile and work well. The base (looks like a standard wall-plate) can be attached uses screws, the supplied double-faced adhesive, or magnetically to steel surfaces (like a fridge door). The remote-control is attached magnetically to its base (wall-plate) and is slightly larger than the rocker-button on a standard Decora switch.

Compared to the Tap, you have more flexibility because you can either leave it on a horizontal surface (i.e. a nightstand or coffee table), like a typical remote-control, or mounted on a vertical surface, like a standard wall-switch (albeit in creative places like the aforementioned fridge door).
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1476 posts
1695 upvotes
VANCOUVER
u0dcameron wrote: Second this, don't really understand why these are more expensive when the dimmer has basically the same functionality.
Yeah. The hue tap seems like such a weird and overpriced product to me. You can already control your lights/scenes from your phone, routines, and voice assistants. if you really need physical control, the dimmer switch is only $32 and it includes an white hue bulb: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BGJN6KY/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Dec 13, 2011
82 posts
78 upvotes
Montréal
I have both this and the dinner. This is unique because it doesn’t need batteries. Your press of the button generates enough power to send a wireless signal! This does make the buttons clicky to generate the power.
May 20, 2008
106 posts
76 upvotes
mrdinb wrote: I have both this and the dinner. This is unique because it doesn’t need batteries. Your press of the button generates enough power to send a wireless signal! This does make the buttons clicky to generate the power.
I thought you were trolling, but you were not... this is pretty cool. Not sure I need it for $45 though.

"...this switch does not need batteries. It uses kinetic energy and is powered by your touch"
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10186 posts
2805 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SteveWhip wrote: I thought you were trolling, but you were not... this is pretty cool. Not sure I need it for $45 though.

"...this switch does not need batteries. It uses kinetic energy and is powered by your touch"
Yeah pretty neat, it's called power harvesting/scavanging, but a CR2032 usually last 6-12 months in a sleepy low power Zigbee remote which isn't that big of a deal to replace.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16450 posts
14593 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Daijoubu wrote: Yeah pretty neat, it's called power harvesting/scavanging, but a CR2032 usually last 6-12 months in a sleepy low power Zigbee remote which isn't that big of a deal to replace.
Still a hassle having to replace batteries. I'll gladly pay the premium and not have to deal with that.