Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W 3rd Gen - $47 [Prime Only]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 6:48 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
45 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon Canada] Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W 3rd Gen - $47 [Prime Only]

The 4-pack starter kit is also on sale for $199.98, but if you don't need a hub it's cheaper buying individually https://www.amazon.ca/Colour-Ambiance-S ... 075JL1HR9/

Don't forget 8% cash back with ebates! :D

Update: Prime Members only
Last edited by kavmac on Jan 11th, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
45 replies
Jul 19, 2018
125 posts
124 upvotes
Been at this price on Amazon since before Christmas, I've been wondering when they'll go back up.

That said, they were this price over Christmas at Bestbuy but also had a 15% off coupon which was very hot, so this is pretty close to that with the 8% if anyone still needs bulbs and missed out.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
45 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
ohwowhi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:44 am
Been at this price on Amazon since before Christmas, I've been wondering when they'll go back up.
Consistently? Any time I looked, they were either sold out or back at regular price.
Jul 19, 2018
125 posts
124 upvotes
kavmac wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:50 am
Consistently? Any time I looked, they were either sold out or back at regular price.
Weird. I check Hue prices pretty often as I've been replacing all my bulbs with them slowly. The only thing I've seen out of stock over the holidays was the Lightstrips. Could be wrong though! This is still a good deal imo!
Dec 7, 2007
252 posts
6 upvotes
Got the starter pack and outdoor light as a xmas gift. Not really sure what to do with it, do people like these, or find them useful?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
1137 upvotes
Ottawa
meecha wrote: Got the starter pack and outdoor light as a xmas gift. Not really sure what to do with it, do people like these, or find them useful?
I love them , put them all over my house, nearly 50 lights now, it’s good for lazy people.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
45 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
meecha wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:42 am
Got the starter pack and outdoor light as a xmas gift. Not really sure what to do with it, do people like these, or find them useful?
I'd start by swapping out your current A19 bulbs, if you got an A19 kit, and even just use them with a regular (or brighter/dimmer) light feel to it. Then play around with scenes and timers, etc. You could also do the same with the outdoor light.

When I gifted my parents with a starter kit, that's what they did.. and now my nephews switch to their custom scene whenever they're watching a movie with them while they're over.
Jul 19, 2018
125 posts
124 upvotes
meecha wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:42 am
They're convenient across the entire house, but they're really great in bedrooms/living rooms/kitchens, anywhere you relax or work a lot. I'd recommend fully outfitting your bedroom or living room and see if having color/ambiance lighting is worthwhile to you. For me it makes a huge difference in my day to day life. Try out some of the routines for waking up/going to bed, get a Google home or Alexa to use voice commands.

Just try it out 100% in one room before you go crazy. It really doesn't need to be super expensive. I use color bulbs in all of my living spaces and the $15 basic bulb for hallways, basement, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1633 posts
231 upvotes
Alberta
ohwowhi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:52 am
They're convenient across the entire house, but they're really great in bedrooms/living rooms/kitchens, anywhere you relax or work a lot. I'd recommend fully outfitting your bedroom or living room and see if having color/ambiance lighting is worthwhile to you. For me it makes a huge difference in my day to day life. Try out some of the routines for waking up/going to bed, get a Google home or Alexa to use voice commands.

Just try it out 100% in one room before you go crazy. It really doesn't need to be super expensive. I use color bulbs in all of my living spaces and the $15 basic bulb for hallways, basement, etc.
Do you find you use the colors much?
If i had know they had white ambiance, I would have gotten those since I mostly change the white temperature.
Jul 19, 2018
125 posts
124 upvotes
Chingyul wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:59 am
Do you find you use the colors much?
If i had know they had white ambiance, I would have gotten those since I mostly change the white temperature.
Probably 75% of the time I just use the ambiance lighting, but I appreciate the color for when I do want it
Jul 26, 2013
391 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
ohwowhi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:01 am
Probably 75% of the time I just use the ambiance lighting, but I appreciate the color for when I do want it
There are a bunch of LED bulbs that are cheaper than the Hue. For instance. Lifx doesn't need a hub and is Alexa, Homekit, and Google compatible. I picked up one up from amazon for 40 bucks when it was on special.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07316 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Hue seems to be the most expensive of the bunch and uses a hub (aka vender lock in). Assuming Alexa, Google, and Homekit is present Is there a reason to buy the Hue over other vendors that are either cheaper or without a hub?
Dec 4, 2007
803 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Since ebates has the 8% cashback, 3x colour bulbs from Amazon comes to $129.72 which is a good price. I think the $149.99 Best Buy bundle is a decent deal if you needed 3x colour bulbs and a dimmer (and an extra bridge/hub). I got the bundle before Christmas with a 15% off coupon from Best Buy, but the current bundle price is still pretty decent. Each bulb and dimmer in the bundle also comes in individual packaging so can be easily resold if you don't need everything.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ph ... 19007.aspx?
Jul 19, 2018
125 posts
124 upvotes
needybot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:24 am
There are a bunch of LED bulbs that are cheaper than the Hue. For instance. Lifx doesn't need a hub and is Alexa, Homekit, and Google compatible. I picked up one up from amazon for 40 bucks when it was on special.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07316 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Hue seems to be the most expensive of the bunch and uses a hub (aka vender lock in). Assuming Alexa, Google, and Homekit is present Is there a reason to buy the Hue over other vendors that are either cheaper or without a hub?
Depends on what you're looking to do. Looking to outfit one or two rooms and don't care about accessories? Stick with Lifx. Don't care about the absolute best quality rgb lighting? Go with a cheaper option like Sengled on sale and skip Hue/Lifx entirely.

The Hue in my opinion is the best option for an entire house/apartment setup because the Hub isn't going to bog your Wifi down like Lifx potentially can depending on your setup (sengled also has this benefit!). As well, have the Zigbee capability gives the option to use wireless wall switches, wireless motion sensors, etc. Not possible without a hub.

So tl;dr it just depends on what you're looking to do, definitely go cheap/hub free if you're just looking to do maybe one or two rooms. Just my $0.02
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4368 posts
1265 upvotes
Exclusively for Prime Members
This item is reserved for Prime members.