1350 posts
3155 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Philips Hue White Outdoor PAR38 2-pack 13W Smart Bulbs $50.70

Not a bad deal if you are looking for these
2 pack
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07D9XL641/

As noted below needs a hue bridge
If you use Philips you most likely already have one

Also as noted below these ARE NOT useless if your power goes out.
Last edited by FARMERBLANCHE on May 11th, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9739 posts
2394 upvotes
Montreal
Warning, this REQUIRES A HUE BRIDGE and is NOT included. OP, you might want to add that.

An OUTDOOR smart light bulb???

So, if the power goes out and then comes back on, it stays off...you have to go to your smart phone, open the app and turn the light back on (or wait for the next scheduled turn on timer)....no wonder it's on sale LOL.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3187 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote: Warning, this REQUIRES A HUE BRIDGE and is NOT included. OP, you might want to add that.

So, if the power goes out and then comes back on, it stays off...you have to go to your smart phone, open the app and turn the light back on (or wait for the next scheduled turn on timer)....no wonder it's on sale LOL.
errr....kind of aggressive for a lightbulb...

Thanks OP, Solid deal if someone's in the market. Personally stick to regular bulbs outside but love the hue around the house.

1300 Lumen in case someone is curious - I have 2000 installed and wouldn't want the downgrade in brightness.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
4927 posts
26092 upvotes
Montreal
yuprules wrote: Warning, this REQUIRES A HUE BRIDGE and is NOT included. OP, you might want to add that.

Hues have had a firmware update where they will go back to the powered off state in the event of a power outtage.

Seen on clearance at some Home Depot's for 14$-35$ , YMMV. Stocktrack: https://stocktrack.ca/?s=hd&sku=1001133779
Apr 20, 2017
262 posts
366 upvotes
Montreal

See attached image.
Images
  • Hue.jpeg
most things haven't worked out
Nov 22, 2012
54 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto

Well if you're into Hue bulbs at all you'll want the Bridge, even though I gather some newer ones have Bluetooth as well. I don't have these exact ones, but every other bulb I have you can set the power on behaviour after a power interruption - specific brightness (and colour if capable), last state, etc. It may require a firmware update though.
Dec 30, 2013
299 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga

This is not true.
Also, I have this in front of my shed, use it on maybe half brightness as full brightness is very bright and lights up the whole backyard.
Feb 15, 2010
670 posts
622 upvotes
Surrey

So if I want to power on all the lights in the house, you can go to your smart phone, open the app and turn them all back on at once? Such a waste of time, I get up and walk around to each light switch individually and flick the switch...no wonder I live in the dark LOL

You see how dumb this sounds. Additionally, as others pointed out, this is not the case, and even if it were, is a couple of taps on your phone the most egregious thing?
Nov 12, 2019
231 posts
798 upvotes
SirLookout4Deals wrote: So if I want to power on all the lights in the house, you can go to your smart phone, open the app and turn them all back on at once? Such a waste of time, I get up and walk around to each light switch individually and flick the switch...no wonder I live in the dark LOL

You see how dumb this sounds. Additionally, as others pointed out, this is not the case, and even if it were, is a couple of taps on your phone the most egregious thing?
I think this line of comments also speaks to the preference of switch-based or bulb-based smart home lighting. I personally prefer to go for smart switches (Lutron, Leviton) as not only are they much cheaper overall (1x switch at $60 vs 6x bulbs at $30ish/ea), but more so because the traditional ability to walk up and use a switch is fully maintained. You can use a Hue switch, but that's one more device to buy. Yes, Hue does remember last state, but if someone turns off the switch then there is no way to turn the bulb on without walking up to the switch. Leviton also has the advantage of being vendor agnostic thanks to Z-Wave and ZigBee so should platforms continue to shift towards subscription based I am easily able to move towards any other system that supports Z-Wave, unlike products that use proprietary platforms like Hue, Lutron Nest, etc, etc.

All of that said, even for those that prefer smart switches over smart bulbs like I do, I still use Hue in some situations where colour control is desired or where individual bulb control is preferred.

There are a number of factors that contribute to an individuals preference for HA platforms based on their needs and situation, just sharing my personal perspective.
Dec 22, 2019
50 posts
120 upvotes
I have one of these bulbs pointed at my woodshed out back. I use my phone to turn on the light before I go outside as the switch itself is outside. They can have very specific uses like mine but I find them to be extremely helpful.