Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Philips Indoor Smoke-Less Grill Plus Bonus Cleaning Tool - $203 (42% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 9:58 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
16 posts
25 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Philips Indoor Smoke-Less Grill Plus Bonus Cleaning Tool - $203 (42% off)

Admins feel free to delete if this is already a widely known deal.

I've heard raving reviews about this elite indoor smoke-less grill. This particular one comes with a bonus cleaning tool - all for $203, lowest price point according to CCC.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
6 replies
Mar 18, 2017
87 posts
160 upvotes
Nice item......it weren't Phillips. Used to be a quality brand, but its all junk now. I've had 2 Home Theatres crap out, a shaver broke and several other purchases never made it through the warranty. Total crap....buy at your own risk.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7588 posts
1474 upvotes
Their Air Fryer and Pasta Makers are very popular and had good reviews so I wouldn't lump all of the products into the same category.

Their Lifestyle products are produced by three divisions - Consumer Electronics, Domestic Appliances and Personal Care so quality and reliability not only differ from model to model and between divisions, too.
NumbNuts wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 1:56 pm
Nice item......it weren't Phillips. Used to be a quality brand, but its all junk now. I've had 2 Home Theatres crap out, a shaver broke and several other purchases never made it through the warranty. Total crap....buy at your own risk.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 16, 2015
758 posts
412 upvotes
It is horrible to clean! Glass reflectors get burn't on grease so you have to scrape off with a blade! The grill is not metal so the teflon comes off after washing with teflon pad. NOT a good buy! The body is plastic!
It’s smokeless, more or less, because the drip tray is located well below the grill surface, and below the heat sources, so that grease drippings don’t burn hard onto the drip pan (causing smoke). If you’ve ever broiled a steak in an electric oven, you know that most of the smoke comes from grease that is burning onto the broiler pan surface nearest the broiler coils. Thus, with this grill, you’ll still get some smoke if you cook fatty foods.
My appliance didn’t melt at the sides with first use, but there are a lot of things to NOT like about this appliance.

First, the handles on the barbecue grid (the loose tray on top) get very hot at the four points where the metal joins the plastic handle insulation. Surprise for the unwary cook!

Second, although there’s a warning against staring at the infrared lights, it’s impossible NOT to look at them, because they’re located right below the barbecue grid. You have to look down on them when you turn the food or check for doneness.

Third, the grill takes 6-7 minutes to preheat, and it sends a lot of heat into your kitchen. You definitely don’t want to use the appliance underneath your kitchen cabinets (danger of setting them on fire). My electric stove’s broiler doesn’t heat the kitchen as much. The appliance also takes quite a while to cool down so that it can be safely cleaned.

Fourth, the appliance is big and awkward to handle. It takes up a lot of countertop or table space.

Fifth, the drip tray slides out from the left end, so it needs a lot of space for removal.

Sixth, the appliance isn’t easy to clean, except for the barbecue grid and the drip tray (both are dishwasher safe). Grease spatters on the insides of the appliance, and must be scraped off. Otherwise, the grease will burn on and start to produce smoke.

Finally, the scraper tool is just a paint scraper with double-edged razor blades (you get three blades). These are readily available at hardware stores. The non-stick cooking grid was peeling after one cooking session and mild cleaning.
Oct 15, 2017
17 posts
6 upvotes
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 4:15 pm
It is horrible to clean! Glass reflectors get burn't on grease so you have to scrape off with a blade! The grill is not metal so the teflon comes off after washing with teflon pad. NOT a good buy! The body is plastic!
It’s smokeless, more or less, because the drip tray is located well below the grill surface, and below the heat sources, so that grease drippings don’t burn hard onto the drip pan (causing smoke). If you’ve ever broiled a steak in an electric oven, you know that most of the smoke comes from grease that is burning onto the broiler pan surface nearest the broiler coils. Thus, with this grill, you’ll still get some smoke if you cook fatty foods.
My appliance didn’t melt at the sides with first use, but there are a lot of things to NOT like about this appliance.

First, the handles on the barbecue grid (the loose tray on top) get very hot at the four points where the metal joins the plastic handle insulation. Surprise for the unwary cook!

Second, although there’s a warning against staring at the infrared lights, it’s impossible NOT to look at them, because they’re located right below the barbecue grid. You have to look down on them when you turn the food or check for doneness.

Third, the grill takes 6-7 minutes to preheat, and it sends a lot of heat into your kitchen. You definitely don’t want to use the appliance underneath your kitchen cabinets (danger of setting them on fire). My electric stove’s broiler doesn’t heat the kitchen as much. The appliance also takes quite a while to cool down so that it can be safely cleaned.

Fourth, the appliance is big and awkward to handle. It takes up a lot of countertop or table space.

Fifth, the drip tray slides out from the left end, so it needs a lot of space for removal.

Sixth, the appliance isn’t easy to clean, except for the barbecue grid and the drip tray (both are dishwasher safe). Grease spatters on the insides of the appliance, and must be scraped off. Otherwise, the grease will burn on and start to produce smoke.

Finally, the scraper tool is just a paint scraper with double-edged razor blades (you get three blades). These are readily available at hardware stores. The non-stick cooking grid was peeling after one cooking session and mild cleaning.
Also. We're Canadians. We grill all year 'round!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2813 posts
1381 upvotes
Calgary
for those who aren't impress with something like for indoor grilling, let me throw a wrench in & mention the Breville Smart Grill. I have it & I grill indoors all year long. It's not smokeless & it does splatter a bit but the smoke/smells are less than panfrying + its easy to clean. The hot plates are totally removable & dishwasherable (although I dont due to possibility of excessive wear).

Temp is very constant, grills & sears very well + both sides at the sametime shortens cooking time by over 1/2 using normal methods. It can also easy turn into a Panini sandwich maker. When onsale, price isn't much more & it's a great product so much so, I've no interest in something like this Philips even if its no charge.