[Amazon Canada] Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock - $49.95

Been this price on Amazon before, back to historical low according to CCC

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00F0W1RIW/ref ... vDb13Z777A

Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise Simulation, White, HF3500/60

Sunrise simulation wakes you gradually
Cord length EU/US 150/180 CM.Bedside light with 10 light settings
Color flow of sunrise: bright yellow
Gentle beep ensures you get up on time
Snooze function. Snooze Duration - 9 minute(s)
13 replies
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
23 upvotes
Maybe I should grab one of these so I'll be able to wake up earlier and not miss any more lava hot deals on RFD
Sep 9, 2003
560 posts
176 upvotes
I loved mine but have replaced it with a bunch of Hue bulbs that are set to a 30 minute fade in my bedroom instead
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7810 posts
2692 upvotes
Washington, DC
Great light, been using it for years.

Only downside is that it doesn't have an internal battery, so if the power goes off you'll never wake up. The only solution I see is buying an UPS.
Last edited by lincoln on Aug 16th, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17288 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
kfunluc wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:06 pm
I loved mine but have replaced it with a bunch of Hue bulbs that are set to a 30 minute fade in my bedroom instead
Same. The basic bulb + switch combo for $25 is a better deal and is a more flexible option when it comes to lights (if you have the Hub already), as you can program separate schedules for weekdays/weekends/etc.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Apr 15, 2018
70 posts
149 upvotes
Calgary, AB
lincoln wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:10 pm
Only downside is that it doesn't have an internal battery.
And the ridiculous, buttons and menus. I set it every night and those buttons still are hard to see and don't make sense.
Apr 29, 2018
65 posts
85 upvotes
ON
This is the lowest-end model and I don't think it's worth it in 2019. It doesn't have the colour lighting which is essential (imo). It's basically a clock with a light bulb on it.

For not much more you can get the newer Somneo instead with battery backup, radio/aux and the aforementioned colour sunlight simulation:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... nkw=hf3650

A much better deal and way less than the Amazon price, if you don't mind slower shipping.
Don't forget to like and subscribe
Jul 1, 2016
277 posts
157 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Here is my experience with this (for 2 years now). I have at one point upgraded - using both.
For those considering getting this clock:

1) Will simulate a sunrise 30 minutes prior to your set alarm; in increasing brightness. There is 10 levels of brightness total = 1 increment every 3 minutes.
2) Can be used as a lamp with 10 levels of brightness.
3) You feel better when waking up. Note: Not a substitute for sleep!
4) This clock isn't for everyone (You'll have to try it and decide).
5) The alarm is REALLY REALLY loud and there is no volume control. It scared me when I first got it... fortunately I found a fix... just tape over the speaker grill. This will greatly reduce the volume to a reasonable level even if on your nightstand.

TLDR: Good and usable for what it is... if you're seriously considering this, I'd highly recommend the HF3505/60 - It's $20 more. Has the following added features:

1) Volume control for the alarm
2) FM Radio
3) Has nature sounds or radio to choose from for alarm (I'm a big fan of nature sound alarm - birds, owls, etc).

I love these so much I plan to upgrade to a HF3650 later this year (Black Friday/Boxing Day price drop - fingers crossed).
Some may say it's silly or absurd to even consider spending $200 for an alarm clock, but the previous models worked wonders for me; worth every penny and more.
Last edited by ProjectPixelation on Aug 16th, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 14, 2017
168 posts
269 upvotes
Vancouver
fusion52 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 9:27 pm
This is the lowest-end model and I don't think it's worth it in 2019. It doesn't have the colour lighting which is essential (imo). It's basically a clock with a light bulb on it.

For not much more you can get the newer Somneo instead with battery backup, radio/aux and the aforementioned colour sunlight simulation:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... nkw=hf3650

A much better deal and way less than the Amazon price, if you don't mind slower shipping.
I bought the Somneo during black Friday last year and it has been amazing. With the light starting to brighten 30 minutes before my alarm goes off I have not once woken up groggy. Sure I'm still tired in the morning but it is a lot easier for me to get out of bed and out my front door. I find the red light included in the somneo a significant improvement over the cheaper models (it claims it is more natural and I feel that it is). I have only slept through my second alarm/snooze once this year. Compared to the year before when I slept through my third alarm multiple times. Just to clarify, I have an alarm set at 7:00, 7:10, 7:30 and 8:00. The first one wakes me up but lets me prepare to wake up, the second one I get out of bed, the third one is you are late for work get up now, the fourth one is just a redundancy for when I start work (of I ever slept through all the others).

If you want to buy a wake up alarm, I would really recommend just biting the bullet and going for the $200 one from Amazon, or if you feel comfortable with eBay, the one the OP quote linked.
Nov 14, 2017
168 posts
269 upvotes
Vancouver
ProjectPixelation wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 9:38 pm
Here is my experience with this (for 2 years now). I have at one point upgraded - using both.
For those considering getting this clock:

1) Will simulate a sunrise 30 minutes prior to your set alarm; in increasing brightness. There is 10 levels of brightness total = 1 increment every 3 minutes.
2) Can be used as a lamp with 10 levels of brightness.
3) You feel better when waking up. Note: Not a substitute for sleep!
4) This clock isn't for everyone (You'll have to try it and decide).
5) The alarm is REALLY REALLY loud and there is no volume control. It scared me when I first got it... fortunately I found a fix... just tape over the speaker grill. This will greatly reduce the volume to a reasonable level even if on your nightstand.

TLDR: Good and usable for what it is... if you're seriously considering this, I'd highly recommend the HF3505/60 - It's $20 more. Has the following added features:

1) Volume control for the alarm
2) FM Radio
3) Has nature sounds or radio to choose from for alarm (I'm a big fan of nature sound alarm - birds, owls, etc).

I love these so much I plan to upgrade to a HF3650 later this year (Black Friday/Boxing Day price drop - fingers crossed).
Some may say it's silly or absurd to even consider spending $200 for an alarm clock, but the previous models worked wonders for me; worth every penny and more.
I just commented on this, but the Somneo is well worth the money.
Oct 7, 2017
419 posts
422 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:17 pm
Same. The basic bulb + switch combo for $25 is a better deal and is a more flexible option when it comes to lights (if you have the Hub already), as you can program separate schedules for weekdays/weekends/etc.
Which combo are you talking about exactly? Mind linking me? Thanks :)
Oct 7, 2017
419 posts
422 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:17 pm
Sep 28, 2010
75 posts
25 upvotes
+1 to the Hue light combo. Also using the fade in ~30m before our actual alarm goes off. It's been a notable difference for waking up in the morning, especially as we approach the dark winter months.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17288 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
ClarkZuckerberg wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 5:35 am
Get one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Dimmer-Sw ... JN6KY?th=1

They go on sale for $25ish every now and then. By itself it's just a bulb and a dimmer switch, but if you already have the Philips Hue hub (and only if you have it) you can use the app to program a schedule for the bulb to follow, IFTTT rules, etc. I have a pair of the bulbs in my bedroom that wind down every night and light up over about half an hour in the mornings. The radio in this thread does have a bigger range of brightness settings than the bulb does though, and can start from a lower state.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?