Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection (4K Ultra UHD) - Lowest ever $31.99

[OP]
Newbie
Nov 5, 2018
8 posts
32 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection (4K Ultra UHD) - Lowest ever $31.99

6 discs in all. Best price ever according to CCC.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2957 posts
1300 upvotes
Will these discs play on a standard blu-ray (non 4K) player and TV?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2868 posts
2492 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
It looks like this ended up being a permanent price drop (it's been $31.99 for over a month, I don't care if Amazon says it's still technically a "sale") so I'm thinking there's a possibility this might still go lower.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2868 posts
2492 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
SizzleChest wrote: Will these discs play on a standard blu-ray (non 4K) player and TV?
TV yes, player no. There's no standard blu-ray copies with this edition, so you need a 4k player.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
1950 posts
602 upvotes
EDMONTON
Bought it this price a month ago. Some of the scenes are truly spectacular in 4K, like the volcano lava. But there are other scenes like the lizard/snake chase that is pretty soft and out of focus.
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Newbie
Jul 15, 2019
89 posts
62 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: But there are other scenes like the lizard/snake chase that is pretty soft and out of focus.
I imagine capturing fast-moving small animals from a long distance away would be difficult to keep focus when they constantly move in and out of the rather thin focus plane. Still, for 99% of the other shots, you gotta admire the skill it takes to be there at the right moment, and capture the moment as it happens, often in a cinematic way. Love these docs.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1968 posts
1804 upvotes
Calgary
Seems like a solid deal...
they disappeared from Netflix too.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
1950 posts
602 upvotes
EDMONTON
ChrisE45532 wrote: I imagine capturing fast-moving small animals from a long distance away would be difficult to keep focus when they constantly move in and out of the rather thin focus plane. Still, for 99% of the other shots, you gotta admire the skill it takes to be there at the right moment, and capture the moment as it happens, often in a cinematic way. Love these docs.
Totally, I used to be a wildlife photographer. Still very impressive how they can get some of the shots they do.
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2017
522 posts
482 upvotes
Kitchener
Side note. For those interested in these series', Netflix has 'Night on Earth' streaming currently. Its truly amazing.
Sr. Member
Sep 9, 2015
775 posts
443 upvotes
Nanaimo
Great set! Bought a few months ago, and the HDR on PE2 is amazing, it's much better quality than the netflix stream. I still have not watched BP2.
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2014
955 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
rtookey wrote: Side note. For those interested in these series', Netflix has 'Night on Earth' streaming currently. Its truly amazing.
Night on Earth shows Dolby Vision, but plays as HDR. However, all the other listed Dolby Vision content on Netflix plays as Dolby Vision so I know it's not my set up otherwise why would those. Is this at all in DV or just HDR?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5768 posts
321 upvotes
Calgary
Coresu wrote: Night on Earth shows Dolby Vision, but plays as HDR. However, all the other listed Dolby Vision content on Netflix plays as Dolby Vision so I know it's not my set up otherwise why would those. Is this at all in DV or just HDR?
on my lg OLED webos netflix app it plays in DV...amazing show btw!
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2014
955 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
markj wrote: on my lg OLED webos netflix app it plays in DV...amazing show btw!
Odd it's the only one in the app (I have an LG B6) but defaults back to HDR. Every other show in DV plays fine. Very odd. I will try with my new Shield. Regardless its a good show, I agree. It's not often you see how the animal kingdom works at night and all. Always wondered, "Hey when those deer are just resting, why dont they just get them in the dark (predators) instead of chasing them around in the (hot) day....". Not going to say, so not going to spoil for others :)

Top