Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 - Noise Canceling Bluetooth Headphones - $159.99 ($90 off)

Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39469 posts
5836 upvotes
King City
Dark_fantom wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 10:02 am
Been using these headphones often for the last 8 months, and so far here's what I think:

+ Amazing sound quality even over BT
+ Great battery life
+ Extremely good range
+ Google assistant integration
+ Buttons are fairly responsive and clicky
+ Calls are very clear on both ends
+ Updates are made very easy to do

- Auto play is finicky
- They don't fold and thus are bulky
- White noise can be heard if nothing is playing
- As the power button is on the back, it's hard to lie down with these on without accidentally turning them off.

+/- The included accessories are nice, but I would have preferred a hard case.
+/- Can feel uncomfortable after 3 or more hours (could just be me)

Overall they're pretty good and I'm happy with them.
Thanks for providing your feedback.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Aug 27, 2009
613 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
These are one of the few headphones that support APTX-LL which is why I bought them, to use with my tv and xbox. Normal bluetooth is in the 200ms latency range and RTINGS says that 15ms is a noticeable difference. These using APTX-LL have a 34ms latency so you don't have an issue with a lip sync delay, but you need a separate transmitter that supports the codec. If you were never told there might be an imperceptible bluetooth delay, you probably wouldn't notice, but once you go looking for it you can't un-notice it.

There's a few other APTX-LL headphones listed here: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_apt ... ry_tid=125 but the BackBeat Pro 2 gets good reviews on RTINGS and is in the right price range. The MEE audio matrix cinema is another option and can be had at costco for $99: https://www.costco.ca/MEE-audio-Matrix- ... 16263.html

Most other tv headphones require a separate RF base station to achieve low latency but then the headphones can only be used with that specific and bulky station, while these support regular bluetooth so they can pair with any device.

I disabled the autoplay because i'm not using it with music, and I wouldn't wear these out of the house since the tan colour isn't the best, but the audio is excellent. I tried the Beats Studio3 and thought the sound of it was better but not by much.
Apr 22, 2013
20 posts
35 upvotes
I've been using these for about a year, and they're excellent overall (build quality and sound quality) but I will note 2 caveats.

1. It has somewhat poor passive noise blocking, as in the seal isn't nearly as good as the Bose Quietcomfort series.
2. The earpads, while soft and are very well sized, are somewhat shallow, so if your ears stick out, it might touch the driver of the earphones which won't be too comfortable for long periods. Although this can be fixed with some simple earpad mods.
Dec 6, 2012
471 posts
291 upvotes
North
I picked these up during boxing week this Christmas. I love them, if you have questions about whether they're worth the money(they are) check out rting's review https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... beat-pro-2 They are reviewing the special edition model though with the hard case.

My only complaint about these, is the clamping force is a bit much at 0.9 pounds, but they're still comfortable.
2013 - 7 Wins - $6850 - Trip to NC/Drove NASCAR
2014 - 4 Wins - $525
Jan 23, 2009
207 posts
83 upvotes
Dark_fantom wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 10:02 am
Been using these headphones often for the last 8 months, and so far here's what I think:

+ Amazing sound quality even over BT
+ Great battery life
+ Extremely good range
+ Google assistant integration
+ Buttons are fairly responsive and clicky
+ Calls are very clear on both ends
+ Updates are made very easy to do

- Auto play is finicky
- They don't fold and thus are bulky
- White noise can be heard if nothing is playing
- As the power button is on the back, it's hard to lie down with these on without accidentally turning them off.

+/- The included accessories are nice, but I would have preferred a hard case.
+/- Can feel uncomfortable after 3 or more hours (could just be me)

Overall they're pretty good and I'm happy with them.
This is exactly what I would have wrote so I will just repost your post because I like it the most. I agree 100% with each point.

I love mine, I have a huge head and they are a bit tight I have to admit, and they look a bit goofy when stretched around my loaf. They also are NOT audiophile headphones at ALL, these actually sound good.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39469 posts
5836 upvotes
King City
Glad to see all good reviews about these. Maybe I'll cave in and pick these over the MX3 and Bose which are $440 ish or so.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
105 posts
35 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I've been using mine everyday for over a year and I got three of them, gave two to my family. For $150, the sound is not the best but it's not that bad either, I also have a Bowers & Wilkins P-7 and there's not much difference in sound between them. Some say it's bassy but I like the bass on this headphone, that's why some people add a sub-woofer to their audio system, to take care of those lower level.

The noise-cancelling is not the best compared to other brands, but hey, you need to hear your boss she's calling you.
Sep 9, 2008
251 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
had these for 2 years, great headphones, good sound, great battery life, good features, easy pairing

but big/bulky
also wasnt able to use these with my xbox as a headset... anybody knows if this is possible?
all your staples coupons are belong to us
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1542 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
how do they pack up for portability? these fold or no?

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Jan 11, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks OP. I was shopping for noise canceling headphones last night but I couldn't bite the bullet on the $300+ sony or boss. These should work great for me based on the feedback everyone's provided.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1074 posts
361 upvotes
The MSRP is inflated and these are always on sale on Amazon, so the $90 off is misleading. I bought them in December at 149.99.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1542 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
Dante19 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 2:08 pm
The MSRP is inflated and these are always on sale on Amazon, so the $90 off is misleading. I bought them in December at 149.99.
and I missed out on the 149 deal. I should have jumped then.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Oct 19, 2009
186 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Dante19 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 2:08 pm
This is true. If you click the "by Plantronics" link on the Amazon page, you will see a selection of the company's products, including the Backbeat Pro 2 headphones.

Plantronics says the price is reduced by $19.18 (11%) to $159.99

https://www.amazon.ca/Plantronics-Wirel ... 8272258011
Dec 2, 2013
4 posts
3 upvotes
Montr
Here is my 2 cents as I returned mine.

I had my QC25 for over 3-4 years now. I was getting tired of the cable so after hearing all the good from RFD I ordered a pair.
And well, I made the decision to return them and continue to use my Bose.

The BBP2 is very big and bulky to wear (and even to carry as it doesn't fold like the Boses).
When I Increased the size to fit my head, the headphone sounded very fragile.
If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure my ears didn't fit in the cup which made the cups rest on my ears.
As mentioned by someone above, for extended period of time it might get uncomfortable.

Regarding the sound, it seemed nice but I can't really speak about this aspect as I didn't use it enough to have a proper opinion.

Just felt I had to let interested people know about this if it matter to them.
Last edited by diamondtoy on Feb 25th, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.