Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 - Noise Canceling Bluetooth Headphones - $159.99 ($90 off)

Oct 2, 2011
779 posts
373 upvotes
Vancouver
A bunch of us price matched/beat these at bestbuy using Mike's computers online price 1.5 years ago. Think it was $129 give or take. Good headphones but can't believe they went up in price. Tech should decrease in price imo
Dec 28, 2012
464 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
freewheelin76 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 4:48 pm
Do they kill engine noise? screaming babies?

Engine noise yes. I fly porter a lot and I'm usually near the prop. killing screaming babies is a manual process lol

It honestly does, I litteraly only use them for travel.
Feb 22, 2017
238 posts
239 upvotes
Ontario
Bought these last night at Best Buy. Pleased with the sound quality - they support aptX and aptX low latency; the noise cancelling feature surprised me in how much it let through but it did certainly block the sound of an air purifier running near by.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1917 posts
1962 upvotes
GTA
freewheelin76 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 11:59 am
how do they pack up for portability? these fold or no?
They do not. That was a big strike against them for me. I need them to fit easily in a backpack. They don't come with a hardshell case either. Another strike if you're cramming them into a bag. The case shown in this photo is from the Pro 2 Special Edition. Regular Pro 2 only comes with a fabric pouch.

I ended up going with the XM3's shown here for the above reasons, along with some others. QC35's also fold similarly, and come with a similar hardshell case.

Aug 23, 2017
31 posts
19 upvotes
I have had these since May after returning a malfunctioning set of JBL headphones I got from Costco (we all know the ones). I paid $150 at Best Buy and have enjoyed them constantly. The ANC drowns our most transit sounds but not heavy traffic along roads, which for safety is good. Definitely cleaner sound than the average earbud. They have a touch of bass but nothing too throaty. Despite not folding up compact, I would buy this brand again.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1262 posts
331 upvotes
Edmonton
derass wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 3:27 pm
They do not. That was a big strike against them for me. I need them to fit easily in a backpack. They don't come with a hardshell case either. Another strike if you're cramming them into a bag. The case shown in this photo is from the Pro 2 Special Edition. Regular Pro 2 only comes with a fabric pouch.

I ended up going with the XM3's shown here for the above reasons, along with some others. QC35's also fold similarly, and come with a similar hardshell case.

Thanks for the info. I might wait. Maybe picking up a qc25 might be better. Honestly I don't even need bluetooth if they are just for travel. it's the ANC i'm after.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Nov 29, 2013
6 posts
Toronto
$120 brand new/sealed on K*jiji if you are willing to forgo the warranty.
Feb 22, 2017
238 posts
239 upvotes
Ontario
Super disappointed with these headphones. They're OK for music but nothing else. The voice/call quality is awful - but that's to be expected, since they're Bluetooth and you can't get any high quality audio over HFP/HSP; forget ever using them for Skype, etc. because you will sound so poor people will just keep asking you if something is wrong. But the software is buggy (made sure it was to date too), so assuming you managed to get an aptX connection:

- The volume can get 'disconnected' so you turn the headphone volume control and it goes up up up until it says 'full volume' (by the way the in-ear voice sounds are low quality too), and you an hear a hiss because the amp is cranked as high as it will go, but your music, etc. is still quiet, in fact it's the same volume. Setting the volume on the sending device either goes off (at 0) or stays at the exact same volume (from 1-100). I have reproduced this on both a MacBook Pro and a Samsung S9, but no idea what caused it

- Any time audio starts/stops these emit a crackle, pop, hiss -- every time e.g. you get a notification on your computer, it's most obvious, but it's technically there any time you start/stop sound (including music)

- Even with aptX, you can get in a state where the codec is apt but the highs sound all **** up (sounds like a corrupt DSP in the headphones) despite the bass being clear and good

- This isn't a defect per se but the way open mic works wasn't what I expected (it pauses your music rather than just giving you the ability to hear around you)

Can't return because I was a **** idiot and bought them at Best Buy, waiting to hear back from Platronics support.

Edit: Support offered to replace them, but I have zero faith that they are defective other than by design. If you're on the go and just want something for music and the occasional unwanted call, these can work. But if you regularly have to dial in to meetings, etc. or want to use them in an office at your desk (I thought these would be great for working on my laptop, paired to both my phone and laptop.. etc) - they're awful
Last edited by daveinsurgent on Feb 27th, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 14, 2013
628 posts
1184 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Worst Headphones that i've bought.