Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Playtex Diaper Genie Elite Diaper Pail - $44.97 - $10 instant coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 5:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1624 posts
728 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Playtex Diaper Genie Elite Diaper Pail - $44.97 - $10 instant coupon

For all the new parents out there, all colours of the Diaper Genie Elite are on sale with a $10 off instant coupon for $34.97.

Also, for anyone looking to skirt around buying refills, here is a great video outlining how to "hack" it to use garbage bags.

Got that Zoomer account!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1471 posts
520 upvotes
This is a glorified garbage can, yes I have used it. The old genie was good as it would seal each diaper individually.
Sep 9, 2008
81 posts
33 upvotes
Thornhill
Been using this one for a couple months now and I find it useful. Haven't got to the really smelly diapers yet (baby not on solids) but so far, the diaper genie doesn't smell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1624 posts
728 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 2:24 pm
This is a glorified garbage can, yes I have used it. The old genie was good as it would seal each diaper individually.
what would you suggest instead? we had the dekor mini which is just the same thing but very small. we had that because we were in a condo. now that we are in a house and my daughter is getting bigger we need a larger size. what should we use?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1471 posts
520 upvotes
We just use random bags and tie them, and use a regular garbage can. It's much cheaper and easier.
Jan 13, 2012
106 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
I have this and cannot recommend it. While it's fine for number ones, it does not hold in any other smells. Those go straight out nowadays. It was alright before kiddo was on solids though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1624 posts
728 upvotes
chris5555 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 3:03 pm
I have this and cannot recommend it. While it's fine for number ones, it does not hold in any other smells. Those go straight out nowadays. It was alright before kiddo was on solids though.
ah ok, this is good to know. my daughter is 5 months old and will be starting solids soon. what would you recommend?
Got that Zoomer account!
Jan 13, 2012
106 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 3:06 pm
ah ok, this is good to know. my daughter is 5 months old and will be starting solids soon. what would you recommend?
A gas mask or incinerator.

Seriously though, we just take those ones out pretty much immediately. The inlaws have the cheaper one that you need to open with your hands, and it works a lot better for smells - but it's a pain using your hands, particularly when a diaper is really full. So really, I'd look at different brands, and hope to find one that combines the hands free feature AND smell locking ability.
Sep 23, 2005
271 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I "inherited" a couple of old Diaper Genie's, the ones that open in the middle to change the bag, rather than opening from the top to change it (the "Elite" model). I have 2 of each. These new Elite models are terrible! They break, the bags get caught and tear, and they don't hold as much.

If you can buy an older Diaper Genie somewhere, even used (get a clean one! lol), then get that instead.

And, yes, both versions don't hold odours very well, but the old ones are better than the new Elite design.
Feb 8, 2007
84 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
lostinpangea wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 3:11 pm
I "inherited" a couple of old Diaper Genie's, the ones that open in the middle to change the bag, rather than opening from the top to change it (the "Elite" model). I have 2 of each. These new Elite models are terrible! They break, the bags get caught and tear, and they don't hold as much.

If you can buy an older Diaper Genie somewhere, even used (get a clean one! lol), then get that instead.

And, yes, both versions don't hold odours very well, but the old ones are better than the new Elite design.
I agree! I have both the old and and new version and older one is a better design for the same reasons as above. For the smell, you need to change the carbon filter regularly...I change every month or so. We initially did the individual bag thing and it was a pain (not covenient to "no hand it" and you still need a bunch of plastic bags all over the place). I'll also say, I do not think those garbage bag hacks are worth the hassle....the last thing you need is a malfunction when you're dealing with a poopy mess. In the past, I've gotten much cheaper refill bags that are made for the genie but just not Playtex branded at Walmart as well as Toys R Us and I usually just stock up when they go on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1624 posts
728 upvotes
prodigal.sun wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 3:32 pm
I agree! I have both the old and and new version and older one is a better design for the same reasons as above. For the smell, you need to change the carbon filter regularly...I change every month or so. We initially did the individual bag thing and it was a pain (not covenient to "no hand it" and you still need a bunch of plastic bags all over the place). I'll also say, I do not think those garbage bag hacks are worth the hassle....the last thing you need is a malfunction when you're dealing with a poopy mess. In the past, I've gotten much cheaper refill bags that are made for the genie but just not Playtex branded at Walmart as well as Toys R Us and I usually just stock up when they go on sale.
what do you think about the smell on the newer model?
Got that Zoomer account!
Feb 8, 2007
84 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
The smell is muted if you change carbon filters regularly. That's been my experience.
Jan 20, 2012
547 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I found putting some baking soda into the bag helps to absorb smell too.
Sep 8, 2006
716 posts
420 upvotes
Edmonton
We're planning to use doggie poop bags. $1.25 for 70 bags or so. Hopefully the smell is contained if we tie up each diaper right after each use.
Last edited by Simby on Sep 20th, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.