Plugable USB C Hub 7-in-1 Multiport Adapter - $40.95

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 9:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2009
386 posts
333 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Plugable USB C Hub 7-in-1 Multiport Adapter - $40.95

I was looking for a new USB-C hub lately and found out the price is so expensive nowadays and flooded with brands that I never heard of. Especially the Anker 7-in-1 usb-c hub that I bought years ago, not only the price did go down, it even went slightly up.

Finally, I found this one with a reasonable price and reputable reviews. It is smaller than the Anker one but with sharper edges. Works pretty well so far.
30 replies
May 1, 2019
421 posts
1152 upvotes
Smithers, BC
Darn, no 3.5mm audio. :) Decent price for a USB-C hub, though.
Mar 21, 2017
23 posts
14 upvotes
I just bought a similar hub from Qgeem brand, https://qgeem.store/products/usb-c-hub- ... eem-7-in-1. Only had it for a few days but hub is good, works with my Lenovo Duet well.

PD works well but keep in mind you need a decently powered charger (>30W) for quick charging to work with the hub (hub itself takes around 15W)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1986 posts
1885 upvotes
sammiel wrote: I just bought a similar hub from Qgeem brand, https://qgeem.store/products/usb-c-hub- ... eem-7-in-1. Only had it for a few days but hub is good, works with my Lenovo Duet well.

PD works well but keep in mind you need a decently powered charger (>30W) for quick charging to work with the hub (hub itself takes around 15W)
Shopper plus aka prime cable is about to sell this very same hub for $25 in about 1 hour with free shipping
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16827 posts
5367 upvotes
London
Note that 4K is only 30hz
Jun 4, 2011
440 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Note that 4K is only 30hz
Yeah I would not bother because of this, wayyy too expensive for not even 60Hz
Aug 20, 2019
467 posts
548 upvotes
London, Ontario
hee jae shin wrote: This hub will be on sale for 24.99 at 8PM
Stay tuned.

https://www.shopperplus.ca/p-391102-cab ... cab-uh07-3

Is the USBC port on the hub input only for power?
Aug 25, 2019
709 posts
729 upvotes
WHY is the cable that comes with these ALWAYS so friggin short?? :twisted:
"It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live." — Mae Jemison
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7962 posts
8907 upvotes
Toronto
maddmaxx308 wrote: Is the USBC port on the hub input only for power?
Yes

"The type-c charge port can pass up to 100W power to the USB Power Delivery Laptop, and provide extra power to hard disk, DVD driver and accessories that connected to the USB ports simultaneously. "
Aug 20, 2019
467 posts
548 upvotes
London, Ontario
Dhanushan wrote: Yes

"The type-c charge port can pass up to 100W power to the USB Power Delivery Laptop, and provide extra power to hard disk, DVD driver and accessories that connected to the USB ports simultaneously. "
Thanks. That’s fairly disappointing. Was hoping it would also pass data via USBC. Bleh.
Jan 17, 2016
117 posts
62 upvotes
Kanata, ON
I'm buying a few of these type for work, with dual hdmi, vga, ethernet and power passthrough, working great!
We're paying about $95 each, but significantly cheaper than Lenovo docks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9985 posts
6920 upvotes
Toronto
maddmaxx308 wrote: Thanks. That’s fairly disappointing. Was hoping it would also pass data via USBC. Bleh.
All the data passes through USB-C and the extra one is to supply power, pretty standard I think. If the usb-c input was data, you'd need a 3rd or AC plug to supply power.
Sep 7, 2020
69 posts
55 upvotes
I bought a Lenovo one recently via the EPP site for my daugther's Lenovo C330 (chromebook), went this route as it was only a few bucks more for a "brand name" and the no name ones had heat issues. One thing to keep in mind is the PD aspect of it. Her chromebook comes with a 45w charger. Everything I've read with these adapters is that it needs power as well or you'll run into issues with hdmi and laggy keyboard & mouse. So what worked well for my case was a 65w power adapter with the hub/adapter. That way her chromebook will get charged (with 45w) while also ensuring hdmi and other usb ports work (with remaining 20w). Also, I've seen reviews where people has complained about wireless devices with these hubs/adapters. Make sure to plug the wireless receives into a usb 2.0 port instead of 3.0 as that seems to cause issues as well. And of course make sure your usbc port can do video, otherwise hdmi port won't work.

Hope this helps anyone looking into these things.
Aug 20, 2019
467 posts
548 upvotes
London, Ontario
Angultra wrote: All the data passes through USB-C and the extra one is to supply power, pretty standard I think. If the usb-c input was data, you'd need a 3rd or AC plug to supply power.
Yea. I was hoping that the USBC port from the pc would be enough to power everything coming into the pc, and the USBC port on the hub would act as a pass through so you don’t lose your USBC port from the pc.

If that makes sense.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9985 posts
6920 upvotes
Toronto
maddmaxx308 wrote: Yea. I was hoping that the USBC port from the pc would be enough to power everything coming into the pc, and the USBC port on the hub would act as a pass through so you don’t lose your USBC port from the pc.

If that makes sense.
Quick search this one has both charging and data usb-c: https://www.amazon.ca/Aceele-Adapter-Ch ... B083K3GC8C

I wouldn't give up the charging port though, if you had a home setup would mean just plugging in one thing for all your data and power needs.
Aug 20, 2019
467 posts
548 upvotes
London, Ontario
Angultra wrote: Quick search this one has both charging and data usb-c: https://www.amazon.ca/Aceele-Adapter-Ch ... B083K3GC8C

I wouldn't give up the charging port though, if you had a home setup would mean just plugging in one thing for all your data and power needs.
Sadly my MSI GP65 SFK doesn't charge via USBC.
May 29, 2005
702 posts
209 upvotes
Nepean
Would you chance it and use this for a Nintendo Switch?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15595 posts
3474 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
mrmark wrote: I'm buying a few of these type for work, with dual hdmi, vga, ethernet and power passthrough, working great!
We're paying about $95 each, but significantly cheaper than Lenovo docks
Dual HDMI might be the reason why those are $95.
May 7, 2007
112 posts
459 upvotes
Montreal
Angultra wrote: Quick search this one has both charging and data usb-c: https://www.amazon.ca/Aceele-Adapter-Ch ... B083K3GC8C

It seems like those USB C ports only support up to 5Gbps which is same speed with USB 3.0.
I don't see any point to purchase it.