Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15800 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

my camel triggered lowest price ever
read/write 500MB/s

Upgrade your laptop or desktop computer and feel the difference with super-fast OS Boot times and application loads
Exceptional performance offering up to 550MB/s seq. Read and 500MB/s seq. Write speeds
Superior performance as compared to traditional hard drives (HDD)
Ultra low power consumption. Ideal for hard disk Drive replacement, photo and video storage, and boot drives
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 16th, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer field was empty
Thread Summary
arguments summarized:

1. this SSD sucks because
this SSD is DRAMless so it will be slower than DRAM SSDs which are marginally more expensive depending on sale or not. some people think this small incremental cost is worth the extra in performance.
2. this SSD rocks because
DRAMless SSDs are still faster than spinning HDDs in most cases (i.e. boot) so this could be a good candidate for those who want to upgrade an old system that had a HDD for boot drive and want to pay absolute cheapest price for SSD performance.

there was a third point raised about DRAMless SSDs being slower than HDDs for backups... i don't know why you would use a SSD for backups to begin with. so i won't go into that point.
81 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7610 posts
2395 upvotes
Maple
Not bad, only $25 for 120GB or $38 for 240GB. Good for backup.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
The PNY CS900 is DRAM-less.

If you plan to use your SSD as a system drive, you want DRAM in your SSD.
If it's only for storage, it's less important.
Granted, the PNY is cheaply priced at the moment, but SSDs with DRAM also go on sale quite regularly.
So unless you need one RIGHT NOW, wait for another sale.
Amazon's Prime Day is coming in 2-3 weeks.

Member
Sep 22, 2016
262 posts
520 upvotes
As mentioned above, you need DRAM in your SSD to Trudi benefit from the performance.

The Crucial MX500 and the Samsung 860 Evo lines are frequently on sale. Not this low admittedly, but if you're going to run these as your boot drive then DRAM is essential!

Temporel wrote: The PNY CS900 is DRAM-less.

If you plan to use your SSD as a system drive, you want DRAM in your SSD.
If it's only for storage, it's less important.
Granted, the PNY is cheaply priced at the moment, but SSDs with DRAM also go on sale quite regularly.
So unless you need one RIGHT NOW, wait for another sale.
Amazon's Prime Day is coming in 2-3 weeks.

Sr. Member
Dec 2, 2004
869 posts
710 upvotes
Pretty good performance for a DRAM-Less SSD ...

Comparison to Crucial BX500 - also DRAM-Less - Here
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2184 posts
834 upvotes
Don't agree with so many views on DRAM-less and I will state it again. Unless you have a specific need above typical PC operations, you will never notice a difference or experience anything different between DRAM and DRAM-less. People like to refer to videos that are just a bit dated but trust this.... there are over 4000 reviews that says that drive works great. It gets a 4.7 of 5 from these people on Amazon. The drive will serve the purpose most need it for. Trust 4000 others over someone here who doesn't like DRAM-less. It is fine. It will not go dead because it is DRAM-less.
----------------------------------------------
SSDs - STUFF ADDED 18 SEP 20 (LINK)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: Pretty good performance for a DRAM-Less SSD ...

Comparison to Crucial BX500 - also DRAM-Less - Here
Well, best of the worse isn't saying much.

Compare to a Crucial MX500 here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: Don't agree with so many views on DRAM-less and I will state it again. Unless you have a specific need above typical PC operations, you will never notice a difference or experience anything different between DRAM and DRAM-less. People like to refer to videos that are just a bit dated but trust this.... there are over 4000 reviews that says that drive works great. It gets a 4.7 of 5 from these people on Amazon. The drive will serve the purpose most need it for. Trust 4000 others over someone here who doesn't like DRAM-less. It is fine. It will not go dead because it is DRAM-less.
You value 4,000 "reviews" on Amazon by Brandine and Cletus who say "This drive is good" and then go comment on cosmetics or blenders. "This is the best blender I ever got". :facepalm:

I prefer professional reviews.

Unless you restart your rig only once a month, you want DRAM on your SSD.
You will thank yourself you spent that little extra every time you restart.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 16th, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2184 posts
834 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You value 4,000 "reviews" on Amazon by yahoos who say "This drive is good." :facepalm:

I prefer professional reviews.
No I value the people that are buying the drive. Reviewers will always play the game that bigger is better...faster is better. We feed on speed and capacity. I am playing with a 7GB/s drive in my system this second while I type. If I put that beside the listed DRAM-less drive that you are talking about...in typical PC usage... you, I, or anybody else wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That is because all that is every used in typical PC operations is that sweet seek time of .1-.3ms. For the price... its a decent drive that is backed up by thousands...thousands that have it as a system drive in their PC or laptop.

At the end of the day, is it better than DRAM? No it is not. Absolutely not. By that argument, I would tell the world not to touch SATA 3 because AHCI was built on a hard drive magnetic platform and wasn't created ever thinking or considering SSDs. Go NVMe. So now we might as well tell everyone SATA is crap according to your method of evaluation and grading. The truth is this a better than a hard drive and most will never tell the difference between this and any other drive.... because 95% of the population does nothing above basic PC operation and would never even test the drive.

If the drive was crap on Amazon, after this many reviews...it wouldn't even be listed because PNY would have pulled it. The difference between you and I is that you haven't the experience to speak to this first hand, but for what you read on the 'net'. I may be a bit dated but we used to call that being an armchair quarterback.
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 16th, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------
SSDs - STUFF ADDED 18 SEP 20 (LINK)
Sr. Member
Dec 2, 2004
869 posts
710 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Well, best of the worse isn't saying much.

Compare to a Crucial MX500 here.
$65 vs $89 - If upgrading older system, I'd go with lower priced cuz no point in putting premium gasoline in an old beater. You prolly wouldn't notice much speed difference anyways, cuz your system DRAM will do some of the caching already...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: No I value the people that are buying the drive. Reviewers will always play the game that bigger is better...faster is better. (...)
Oh, faster is not better?
Tell that to the people who wait in front of their screen while they reboot, Mr I reboot with a NVMe.

You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time.
flamenko wrote: (...) The truth is this a better than a hard drive and most will never tell the difference between this and any other drive. (...)
Nobody is talking Hard drive here beside you. It's between a DRAM-less SSD and one that has DRAM.
flamenko wrote: (...) If the drive was crap on Amazon, after this many reviews...it wouldn't even be listed because PNY would have pulled it.
That is utter non-sense. There is plenty of crap on Amazon that is incensed by thousands of yahoos.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2184 posts
834 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Oh, faster is not better?
Tell that to the people who wait in front of their screen while they reboot, Mr I reboot with a NVMe.

You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time.

That is utter non-sense.
So now I am really REALLY confused. Are you telling me that you have experience measuring boot times? Really? The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip. There is no memory stored in DRAM. It is volatile memory that forgets everything when the system is powered off. I can build you a sub 15 second start time with ANY SSD.

Do you really think ANYONE buying this drive is thinking about boot time in comparison to anything but the hard drive they are replacing?
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 16th, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----------------------------------------------
SSDs - STUFF ADDED 18 SEP 20 (LINK)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: $65 vs $89 - If upgrading older system, I'd go with lower priced cuz no point in putting premium gasoline in an old beater. You prolly wouldn't notice much speed difference anyways, cuz your system DRAM will do some of the caching already...
It's unfair to compare a SSD that is on sale with one that is at regular price... for the moment.
Member
Sep 6, 2009
409 posts
475 upvotes
This one has DRAM and a little extra storage at $69.99 after the $10 coupon.

Coupon code is 75358

You pay $5 for 5 year warranty (2 more than PNY), 20 more GB, and DRAM blazing fast speed. The professional review below claims that it's only 1% slower than the Samsung top dogs.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2442196 ... KSxUULvww0


Review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/seag ... -120-1-tb/
Last edited by restoreDVD on Sep 17th, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: So now I am really REALLY confused. Are you telling me that you have experience measuring boot times? Really? The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip. There is no memory stored in DRAM. It is volatile memory that forgets everything when the system is powered off. I can build you a sub 15 second start time with ANY SSD.

Do you really think ANYONE buying this drive is thinking about boot time in comparison to anything but the hard drive they are replacing?
Wrong again.

A copy of the Map Table is constantly stored on the NANDs (in case of power failure) and is updated before shut down.
Then, when you restart, the Map Table is reloaded in the DRAM chip.
You almost never start from scratch.

https://www.elinfor.com/knowledge/compr ... -2-p-11039
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 16th, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top