Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 2, 2003
16483 posts
2888 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

my camel triggered lowest price ever
read/write 500MB/s

Upgrade your laptop or desktop computer and feel the difference with super-fast OS Boot times and application loads
Exceptional performance offering up to 550MB/s seq. Read and 500MB/s seq. Write speeds
Superior performance as compared to traditional hard drives (HDD)
Ultra low power consumption. Ideal for hard disk Drive replacement, photo and video storage, and boot drives
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 16th, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer field was empty
Thread Summary
arguments summarized:

1. this SSD sucks because
this SSD is DRAMless so it will be slower than DRAM SSDs which are marginally more expensive depending on sale or not. some people think this small incremental cost is worth the extra in performance.
2. this SSD rocks because
DRAMless SSDs are still faster than spinning HDDs in most cases (i.e. boot) so this could be a good candidate for those who want to upgrade an old system that had a HDD for boot drive and want to pay absolute cheapest price for SSD performance.

there was a third point raised about DRAMless SSDs being slower than HDDs for backups... i don't know why you would use a SSD for backups to begin with. so i won't go into that point.
81 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8499 posts
3067 upvotes
Maple
Not bad, only $25 for 120GB or $38 for 240GB. Good for backup.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
The PNY CS900 is DRAM-less.

If you plan to use your SSD as a system drive, you want DRAM in your SSD.
If it's only for storage, it's less important.
Granted, the PNY is cheaply priced at the moment, but SSDs with DRAM also go on sale quite regularly.
So unless you need one RIGHT NOW, wait for another sale.
Amazon's Prime Day is coming in 2-3 weeks.

Member
Sep 22, 2016
290 posts
582 upvotes
As mentioned above, you need DRAM in your SSD to Trudi benefit from the performance.

The Crucial MX500 and the Samsung 860 Evo lines are frequently on sale. Not this low admittedly, but if you're going to run these as your boot drive then DRAM is essential!

Temporel wrote: The PNY CS900 is DRAM-less.

If you plan to use your SSD as a system drive, you want DRAM in your SSD.
If it's only for storage, it's less important.
Granted, the PNY is cheaply priced at the moment, but SSDs with DRAM also go on sale quite regularly.
So unless you need one RIGHT NOW, wait for another sale.
Amazon's Prime Day is coming in 2-3 weeks.

Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1286 posts
1354 upvotes
Pretty good performance for a DRAM-Less SSD ...

Comparison to Crucial BX500 - also DRAM-Less - Here
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2556 posts
1274 upvotes
Don't agree with so many views on DRAM-less and I will state it again. Unless you have a specific need above typical PC operations, you will never notice a difference or experience anything different between DRAM and DRAM-less. People like to refer to videos that are just a bit dated but trust this.... there are over 4000 reviews that says that drive works great. It gets a 4.7 of 5 from these people on Amazon. The drive will serve the purpose most need it for. Trust 4000 others over someone here who doesn't like DRAM-less. It is fine. It will not go dead because it is DRAM-less.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

  1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: Pretty good performance for a DRAM-Less SSD ...

Comparison to Crucial BX500 - also DRAM-Less - Here
Well, best of the worse isn't saying much.

Compare to a Crucial MX500 here.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: Don't agree with so many views on DRAM-less and I will state it again. Unless you have a specific need above typical PC operations, you will never notice a difference or experience anything different between DRAM and DRAM-less. People like to refer to videos that are just a bit dated but trust this.... there are over 4000 reviews that says that drive works great. It gets a 4.7 of 5 from these people on Amazon. The drive will serve the purpose most need it for. Trust 4000 others over someone here who doesn't like DRAM-less. It is fine. It will not go dead because it is DRAM-less.
You value 4,000 "reviews" on Amazon by Brandine and Cletus who say "This drive is good" and then go comment on cosmetics or blenders. "This is the best blender I ever got". :facepalm:

I prefer professional reviews.

Unless you restart your rig only once a month, you want DRAM on your SSD.
You will thank yourself you spent that little extra every time you restart.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 16th, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2556 posts
1274 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You value 4,000 "reviews" on Amazon by yahoos who say "This drive is good." :facepalm:

I prefer professional reviews.
No I value the people that are buying the drive. Reviewers will always play the game that bigger is better...faster is better. We feed on speed and capacity. I am playing with a 7GB/s drive in my system this second while I type. If I put that beside the listed DRAM-less drive that you are talking about...in typical PC usage... you, I, or anybody else wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That is because all that is every used in typical PC operations is that sweet seek time of .1-.3ms. For the price... its a decent drive that is backed up by thousands...thousands that have it as a system drive in their PC or laptop.

At the end of the day, is it better than DRAM? No it is not. Absolutely not. By that argument, I would tell the world not to touch SATA 3 because AHCI was built on a hard drive magnetic platform and wasn't created ever thinking or considering SSDs. Go NVMe. So now we might as well tell everyone SATA is crap according to your method of evaluation and grading. The truth is this a better than a hard drive and most will never tell the difference between this and any other drive.... because 95% of the population does nothing above basic PC operation and would never even test the drive.

If the drive was crap on Amazon, after this many reviews...it wouldn't even be listed because PNY would have pulled it. The difference between you and I is that you haven't the experience to speak to this first hand, but for what you read on the 'net'. I may be a bit dated but we used to call that being an armchair quarterback.
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 16th, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

  1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1286 posts
1354 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Well, best of the worse isn't saying much.

Compare to a Crucial MX500 here.
$65 vs $89 - If upgrading older system, I'd go with lower priced cuz no point in putting premium gasoline in an old beater. You prolly wouldn't notice much speed difference anyways, cuz your system DRAM will do some of the caching already...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: No I value the people that are buying the drive. Reviewers will always play the game that bigger is better...faster is better. (...)
Oh, faster is not better?
Tell that to the people who wait in front of their screen while they reboot, Mr I reboot with a NVMe.

You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time.
flamenko wrote: (...) The truth is this a better than a hard drive and most will never tell the difference between this and any other drive. (...)
Nobody is talking Hard drive here beside you. It's between a DRAM-less SSD and one that has DRAM.
flamenko wrote: (...) If the drive was crap on Amazon, after this many reviews...it wouldn't even be listed because PNY would have pulled it.
That is utter non-sense. There is plenty of crap on Amazon that is incensed by thousands of yahoos.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2556 posts
1274 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Oh, faster is not better?
Tell that to the people who wait in front of their screen while they reboot, Mr I reboot with a NVMe.

You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time.

That is utter non-sense.
So now I am really REALLY confused. Are you telling me that you have experience measuring boot times? Really? The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip. There is no memory stored in DRAM. It is volatile memory that forgets everything when the system is powered off. I can build you a sub 15 second start time with ANY SSD.

Do you really think ANYONE buying this drive is thinking about boot time in comparison to anything but the hard drive they are replacing?
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 16th, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

  1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: $65 vs $89 - If upgrading older system, I'd go with lower priced cuz no point in putting premium gasoline in an old beater. You prolly wouldn't notice much speed difference anyways, cuz your system DRAM will do some of the caching already...
It's unfair to compare a SSD that is on sale with one that is at regular price... for the moment.
Sr. Member
Sep 6, 2009
769 posts
1285 upvotes
This one has DRAM and a little extra storage at $69.99 after the $10 coupon.

Coupon code is 75358

You pay $5 for 5 year warranty (2 more than PNY), 20 more GB, and DRAM blazing fast speed. The professional review below claims that it's only 1% slower than the Samsung top dogs.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2442196 ... KSxUULvww0


Review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/seag ... -120-1-tb/
Last edited by restoreDVD on Sep 17th, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: So now I am really REALLY confused. Are you telling me that you have experience measuring boot times? Really? The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip. There is no memory stored in DRAM. It is volatile memory that forgets everything when the system is powered off. I can build you a sub 15 second start time with ANY SSD.

Do you really think ANYONE buying this drive is thinking about boot time in comparison to anything but the hard drive they are replacing?
Wrong again.

A copy of the Map Table is constantly stored on the NANDs (in case of power failure) and is updated before shut down.
Then, when you restart, the Map Table is reloaded in the DRAM chip.
You almost never start from scratch.

https://www.elinfor.com/knowledge/compr ... -2-p-11039
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 16th, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2556 posts
1274 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Wrong again.

A copy of the Map Table is constantly stored on the NANDs (in case of power failure) and is updated before shut down.
You almost never strat from scratch.

https://www.elinfor.com/knowledge/compr ... -2-p-11039
Ok this really isn't fair. You are killing me here. Have you tested start times in various SSDs? Include SATA, NVMe, PCIe, DRAM, DRAMless...etc. Or is your knowledge drawn from what you read on the 'net'. I am all for getting into a conversation in detail and not trying to run and find an article supporting what you say every time i throw a question your way...at which time you pick and choose what you will answer.

And let's not forget... you have stated that everyone interested in this SSD only cares about boot times. That needs to stay right there where you said it.

AND... You need to read this very carefully since you quoted it and are relying on it to say that the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off -

A mapping table is maintained in SSD. In general, DRAM is on board in SSD, which is used to store temporary data of program running and will be lost when power fails. The mapping table is stored in SDRAM (convenient for quick access), and several mapping tables are stored in NAND Flash (to prevent loss of mapping relationship after power failures). What’s more, the mapping tables in NAND Flash are updated regularly.
Last edited by flamenko on Sep 16th, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

  1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Member
Aug 14, 2019
418 posts
525 upvotes
I placed an order on the 240gb, no taxes!

lol @ complaining about DRAM for a $25/$38 ssd.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7249 posts
12231 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: Ok this really isn't fair. You are killing me here. Have you tested start times in various SSDs? Include SATA, NVMe, PCIe, DRAM, DRAMless...etc. Or is your knowledge drawn from what you read on the 'net'. I am all for getting into a conversation in detail and not trying to run and find an article supporting what you say every time i throw a question your way...at which time you pick and choose what you will answer.

And let's not forget... you have stated that everyone interested in this SSD only cares about boot times. That needs to stay right there where you said it.
Oh, I see. You don't trust the "so called" professionals on the "net" controlled by The Deep State I presume...
You only trust your own vast knowledge all derived from "real life" experiments.
Every professional says DRAM is better especially for a system drive but you say it doesn't matter.
Fine, you made your case.
Now let the people decide what they want; it's their money and their time after all.
I'm done replying to you.
Goodbye!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
1034 posts
1184 upvotes
I know lots of people have mentioned "RAM" vs. "RAMless" etc.
And I'm not a drive expert.

However, SSDs without builtin RAM will utilize system RAM (your memory in PC) to perform READ/WRITE. And RAM speed matters a lot.
For technology like this (SATA ~500MB/s, less than CAD80), no need to spend too much deciding. Just buy if you need one.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2556 posts
1274 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Oh, I see. You don't trust the "so called" professionals on the "net" controlled by The Deep State I presume...
You only trust your own vast knowledge all derived from "real life" experiments.
Every professional says DRAM is better especially for a system drive but you say it doesn't matter.
Fine, you made your case.
Now let the people decide what they want; it's their money and their time after all.
I'm done replying to you.
Goodbye!
No... what I am saying to you is that you made a mistake in what you read. Be a man and own up to it. SDRAM maintains NOTHING without power. I included the entire quote so you might reread it. And I agree, let people decide what they want without someone who read that SSDs without DRAM are no good from Linus professing that they have first hand knowledge of such.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

  1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers

Top