Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12746 posts
25711 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: Ok this really isn't fair. You are killing me here. Have you tested start times in various SSDs? Include SATA, NVMe, PCIe, DRAM, DRAMless...etc. Or is your knowledge drawn from what you read on the 'net'. I am all for getting into a conversation in detail and not trying to run and find an article supporting what you say every time i throw a question your way...at which time you pick and choose what you will answer.

And let's not forget... you have stated that everyone interested in this SSD only cares about boot times. That needs to stay right there where you said it.

AND... You need to read this very carefully since you quoted it and are relying on it to say that the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off -

A mapping table is maintained in SSD. In general, DRAM is on board in SSD, which is used to store temporary data of program running and will be lost when power fails. The mapping table is stored in SDRAM (convenient for quick access), and several mapping tables are stored in NAND Flash (to prevent loss of mapping relationship after power failures). What’s more, the mapping tables in NAND Flash are updated regularly.
Now you are editing your post with ridiculous falsehood which is not cool.

I never said that "the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off".

That makes you a dishonest person or someone who can't understand what he/she reads.

What I wrote was "A copy of the Map Table is constantly stored on the NANDs (in case of power failure) and is updated before shut down. Then, when you restart, the Map Table is reloaded in the DRAM chip."

And MY post has not been edited since 7:58 pm.

But why do I bother, you probably don't even know the difference between a NAND and a DRAM chip.

Also, you wrote that I "have stated that everyone interested in this SSD only cares about boot times."

That is also false.

Yeah, I'm sure you know a lot more than that "Linus professing" guy.

Where are YOUR technical videos exactly? I must learn... Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
You seem a bit misplaced at being explained things. When I said that nothing was stored in DRAM and was all stored in the NAND chips, your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was "Wrong again" In any case...

"You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time." ... is pretty clear.
337 upvotes
I always tough DRAM was most usefull on sustained write operation. I don't understand the arguing about random seek time at boot where DRAM should have no impact.

Well for my part I think that 30$ buck extra on a DRAM drive is not the best way to spend 30 buck. It can in some case... But for the difference in real life.. 30$ on a video card.. On a cpu.. On a better monitor is a much better use.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
DRAMless SATA SSDs typically are limited to about 20MB/s in 4kQD1 reads. With DRAM they typically do about 35MB/s 4kQD1 reads. High end SATA SSDs like the samsung EVO 860 typically get near 50MB/s 4kQD1 reads.

If you are doing technical work like; coding, MATLAB, CAD, etc..., usually there are alot of small file reads and having better 4kQD1 numbers does help save a second here and there, it is enough that you notice.

For email, web browsing, playing games, MS word, MS excel, and other light tasks, having better 4KQD1 numbers would likely be not noticeable.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Aug 9, 2006
123 posts
68 upvotes
Markham
how do these compare to the Silicon Power A58 256GB/512GB drives on Amazon @ $40.99/$64.99?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
toalan wrote: DRAMless SATA SSDs typically are limited to about 20MB/s in 4kQD1 reads. With DRAM they typically do about 35MB/s 4kQD1 reads. High end SATA SSDs like the samsung EVO 860 typically get near 50MB/s 4kQD1 reads.

If you are doing technical work like; coding, MATLAB, CAD, etc..., usually there are alot of small file reads and having better 4kQD1 numbers does help save a second here and there, it is enough that you notice.

For email, web browsing, playing games, MS word, MS excel, and other light tasks, having better 4KQD1 numbers would likely be not noticeable.
due to the algorithm of storing data on 3d nand the dram cache helps vs say slc cache etc during sustained multiple read writes. Good catch on the poster for the seagate 120 for 500gb for a budget drive at 69.99 with coupon. Would have bought the wd blue instead but seems staples has none....its coupon time so that's the reality.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
bboy_skinnylegs wrote: how do these compare to the Silicon Power A58 256GB/512GB drives on Amazon @ $40.99/$64.99?
I would trust PNY QC for their drives over Silicon power
Signature removed due to rule violation
Sep 23, 2010
300 posts
344 upvotes
Canada
So I take it these aren't very good for upgrading an old PC because they don't have DRAM? How much faster would an SSD with DRAM be over this one? Also, wouldn't you see an improvement in performance if these are used in place of a HDD?
Dec 10, 2003
290 posts
343 upvotes
This will 100% be an upgrade over a "spinning" hard drive..... if you want an upgrade in an older system.... this will be it. If a max 20 second boot time is fine with you compared to probably close to 60 seconds..... then yes...
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
chroncile wrote: So I take it these aren't very good for upgrading an old PC because they don't have DRAM? How much faster would an SSD with DRAM be over this one? Also, wouldn't you see an improvement in performance if these are used in place of a HDD?
You are going to see a massive performance in your upgrade from a hard drive. You won't see any performance improvement whatsoever in typical PC use between DRAM and DRAMless. If you have specific needs that go above this such as movement and manipulation of media.... Not your SSD of choice.
1027 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Not bad, only $25 for 120GB or $38 for 240GB. Good for backup.
Actually a HDD could be faster for backup and you can probably pick up a bigger hard drive for free from the side of the road and it could be faster for backup. Sustained write speed of this PNY 120GB SSD is 113M/S. Your average roadside HDD has a sustained write speed of 140M/s with my new Iron Wolf HDD reaching as high as 221M/S sustained write speed.
😎
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12746 posts
25711 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: You seem a bit misplaced at being explained things. When I said that nothing was stored in DRAM and was all stored in the NAND chips, your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was "Wrong again" In any case...

"You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time." ... is pretty clear.
Yeah, it's pretty clear you don't understand what you read: "mainly" means "mostly but not entirely" as in most people will buy a SSD for a faster boot time BUT NOT EVERYONE like you understood. Is English your mother tongue? It doesn't seem so: "a bit misplaced at being explained things". What?

"your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was ..."
How am I responsible if people read something improperly?

You were wrong because the subject at hand was seek times and what you said about DRAM being volatile memory was irrelevant when discussing seek times as I explained to you. You said "The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip."
On a SSD that has DRAM seek times have nothing to do with the NANDs since the map is read once from the NANDs and copied on the DRAM chip (which is much faster than NANDs). Then the location of the information is only read on the DRAM chip.

You just conceded a point but quickly edited your post.
That is really pathetic.
You edit your posts so fast that I can't even take a screen capture as proof (which is needed with you since you back-peddle). Lol!

But anyway, too late! I saw it.
I saw your "Man enough" reference.
Are YOU man enough to apologize for lying when you wrote that I said that "the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off"?

I'll be waiting.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2243 upvotes
Winnipeg
120GB would have to be under 20 all in for me to look at it.
Nov 11, 2003
389 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure you have more than 8gb ram in your computer if you really want to buy such DRAMless ssds, as they would "borrow ram" from your computer.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
There was no man enough reference and you have the potential to be a great politician. Accuse others of that of which you are guilty of. My purpose here was simple. It gets tiring watching people discredit SSDs when they not only have never had them in hand, but also, rely on no more than what they can dig up 'on the net'. The SSD is a solid SSD with a solid reputation for the market it is directed at.
1027 upvotes
I agree with those recommending to upgrade from an HDD to any SSD including this one to run your operating system on. The difference in the snappy response of the computer will very noticeable and better. But don't pay $0.21 per Gb for a slower backup medium than you can get for under $0.03 per Gb.
https://diskprices.com/?locale=ca
😎
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1513 posts
1494 upvotes
I came for the SSD's...I stayed for the internet argument...it's like a sitting in a rocking chair, sure it gives you something to do but you never get anywhere.