Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
Dec 10, 2003
258 posts
149 upvotes
This will 100% be an upgrade over a "spinning" hard drive..... if you want an upgrade in an older system.... this will be it. If a max 20 second boot time is fine with you compared to probably close to 60 seconds..... then yes...
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2185 posts
834 upvotes
chroncile wrote: So I take it these aren't very good for upgrading an old PC because they don't have DRAM? How much faster would an SSD with DRAM be over this one? Also, wouldn't you see an improvement in performance if these are used in place of a HDD?
You are going to see a massive performance in your upgrade from a hard drive. You won't see any performance improvement whatsoever in typical PC use between DRAM and DRAMless. If you have specific needs that go above this such as movement and manipulation of media.... Not your SSD of choice.
----------------------------------------------
SSDs - STUFF ADDED 18 SEP 20 (LINK)
Jun 15, 2020
19 posts
55 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Not bad, only $25 for 120GB or $38 for 240GB. Good for backup.
Actually a HDD could be faster for backup and you can probably pick up a bigger hard drive for free from the side of the road and it could be faster for backup. Sustained write speed of this PNY 120GB SSD is 113M/S. Your average roadside HDD has a sustained write speed of 140M/s with my new Iron Wolf HDD reaching as high as 221M/S sustained write speed.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4329 posts
6122 upvotes
Montreal
flamenko wrote: You seem a bit misplaced at being explained things. When I said that nothing was stored in DRAM and was all stored in the NAND chips, your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was "Wrong again" In any case...

"You don't buy a SSD for typing. You mainly buy a SSD for faster boot time." ... is pretty clear.
Yeah, it's pretty clear you don't understand what you read: "mainly" means "mostly but not entirely" as in most people will buy a SSD for a faster boot time BUT NOT EVERYONE like you understood. Is English your mother tongue? It doesn't seem so: "a bit misplaced at being explained things". What?

"your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was ..."
How am I responsible if people read something improperly?

You were wrong because the subject at hand was seek times and what you said about DRAM being volatile memory was irrelevant when discussing seek times as I explained to you. You said "The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip."
On a SSD that has DRAM seek times have nothing to do with the NANDs since the map is read once from the NANDs and copied on the DRAM chip (which is much faster than NANDs). Then the location of the information is only read on the DRAM chip.

You just conceded a point but quickly edited your post.
That is really pathetic.
You edit your posts so fast that I can't even take a screen capture as proof (which is needed with you since you back-peddle). Lol!

But anyway, too late! I saw it.
I saw your "Man enough" reference.
Are YOU man enough to apologize for lying when you wrote that I said that "the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off"?

I'll be waiting.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2374 posts
1219 upvotes
Winnipeg
120GB would have to be under 20 all in for me to look at it.
Nov 11, 2003
241 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure you have more than 8gb ram in your computer if you really want to buy such DRAMless ssds, as they would "borrow ram" from your computer.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2185 posts
834 upvotes
There was no man enough reference and you have the potential to be a great politician. Accuse others of that of which you are guilty of. My purpose here was simple. It gets tiring watching people discredit SSDs when they not only have never had them in hand, but also, rely on no more than what they can dig up 'on the net'. The SSD is a solid SSD with a solid reputation for the market it is directed at.
----------------------------------------------
SSDs - STUFF ADDED 18 SEP 20 (LINK)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32363 posts
6244 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Not sure why, but there is a 240 and a separate 250 Gig SSD listed. One costs 50$ and the other is 38$
Jun 15, 2020
19 posts
55 upvotes
I agree with those recommending to upgrade from an HDD to any SSD including this one to run your operating system on. The difference in the snappy response of the computer will very noticeable and better. But don't pay $0.21 per Gb for a slower backup medium than you can get for under $0.03 per Gb.
https://diskprices.com/?locale=ca
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1097 posts
712 upvotes
I came for the SSD's...I stayed for the internet argument...it's like a sitting in a rocking chair, sure it gives you something to do but you never get anywhere.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4329 posts
6122 upvotes
Montreal
icefire_8 wrote: Who won the debate?
Like this if you think Temporel won
icefire_8 wrote: Who won the debate?
Like this if you think flamenko won
I would like to upvote YOUR contribution but I don't want to influence the vote so I'll find another one of your posts to upvote. Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 27, 2017
82 posts
88 upvotes
Temporel wrote: I would like to upvote YOUR contribution but I don't want to influence the vote so I'll find another one of your posts to upvote. Face With Tears Of Joy
lmao
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4329 posts
6122 upvotes
Montreal
^ HA! Ha! Good one! Face With Tears Of Joy

I'll save it.