Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
Newbie
Aug 24, 2014
84 posts
171 upvotes
West St Paul, MB
I think the only relevant question here is if there are any dram ssd’s that go on sale for $25/$38?
Member
Sep 6, 2009
409 posts
475 upvotes
Lol chill guys.

I think the (now-little) price difference isn't enough to justify buying DRAMless drives anymore. Other than the benefits of added speed (which some claim to be huge), paying $5 extra for 2 more years of warranty which the DRAM ones usually have is more than worth it for me.
Member
Sep 6, 2009
409 posts
475 upvotes
restoreDVD wrote: Lol chill guys.

I think the (now-little) price difference isn't enough to justify buying DRAMless drives anymore. Other than the benefits of added speed (which some claim to be huge), paying $5 extra for 2 more years of warranty which the DRAM ones usually have is more than worth it for me.
Just imagine you drink 1 less Starbucks cup, get DRAM one and have peace mind for 2 extra years...

If the speed bonus turns out to be true for your use case, great. If not, at least you know it's not slower than the $5 less expensive option.

Seems like an easy call for me.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
restoreDVD wrote: Lol chill guys.

I think the (now-little) price difference isn't enough to justify buying DRAMless drives anymore. Other than the benefits of added speed (which some claim to be huge), paying $5 extra for 2 more years of warranty which the DRAM ones usually have is more than worth it for me.
You are right. The WD Blue line and the Crucial MX500 series offer a 5 year warranty.
Member
Sep 6, 2009
409 posts
475 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You are right. The WD Blue line and the Crucial MX500 series offer a 5 year warranty.
There is a reason I see DRAM lines usually offer 5 years warranty while DRAMless drives usually have 3 years.

It doesn't require a rocket scientist to understand that manufacturers obviously are more confident in the longevity of DRAM drives than the other alternative.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
koolplay wrote: I think the only relevant question here is if there are any dram ssd’s that go on sale for $25/$38?
Nope. You will always pay more for a DRAM chip than no DRAM chip.
The Camels say that the lowest price for the MX500 250 GB was $52 in August 2019 and close to that last December (pre-pandemic).
The WD Blue 250 GB was $45 in July 2019.

Reason for editing: typo.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 17th, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2008
746 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
If I already have a 500gb SSD (the lenovo gaming PCs posted a few weeks ago) but want to get a 2nd one for storage of games (because supposedly a SSD for games makes a noticeable difference?), is it worth getting this?
Or is it better to wait for Black friday/boxing day/etc for a 1TB one?

I already have a 1TB regular HDD for backups/tv shows so I'm in no rush
Newbie
Aug 24, 2014
84 posts
171 upvotes
West St Paul, MB
I pretty much want to get an sata ssd to replace a dying hd in a 15 yo desktop (my mom uses for browsing only) thinking of just getting the $25 one
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
Nucks wrote: If I already have a 500gb SSD (the lenovo gaming PCs posted a few weeks ago) but want to get a 2nd one for storage of games (because supposedly a SSD for games makes a noticeable difference?), is it worth getting this?
Or is it better to wait for Black friday/boxing day/etc for a 1TB one?

I already have a 1TB regular HDD for backups/tv shows so I'm in no rush
Yes, loading games from a SSD is much faster than from a regular Hard drive.
And as I wrote in post #3, "if it's only for storage, it's less important." (DRAM is less important).
$65 for a 500 GB SSD is very cheap at the moment.
Amazon's Prime Day is coming in 2-3 weeks.
Then Black Friday... Then Boxing Week...
But no one knows the future.
It's your call.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 6, 2012
3328 posts
1000 upvotes
I'm just dying at the guy who recommends AMAZON REVIEWS over actual tech professionals.

The vast majority of those reviews are either fake or written by boomers 5 minutes after installing the SSD and being wowed by the faster boot time over an HDD. It says nothing about the actual quality, speed and longevity of the product.

Will the drive work for a couple years, and will it be faster than an HDD... yes. Are higher quality SSDs worth the money over the DRAMless crap? Also yes.

It's like recommending boots that fall apart after 4 months. Yeah it's better than your bare feet and will do the job for a little while, but it's still a crappy purchase. I thought RFDers cared about long term value? Considering Samsung EVO SSD sale posts get hundreds of upvotes, I think this is usually true.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
koolplay wrote: I pretty much want to get an sata ssd to replace a dying hd in a 15 yo desktop (my mom uses for browsing only) thinking of just getting the $25 one
15 years old!?!
Maybe the BIOS won't support booting from a SSD.
Use Google to check before buying the SSD.
What's the desktop model number?

You might get a better computer (with SSD) for $50 from Kijiji?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
VanceMendoza wrote: I'm just dying at the guy who recommends AMAZON REVIEWS over actual tech professionals.

The vast majority of those reviews are either fake or written by boomers 5 minutes after installing the SSD and being wowed by the faster boot time over an HDD. It says nothing about the actual quality, speed and longevity of the product.

Will the drive work for a couple years, and will it be faster than an HDD... yes. Are higher quality SSDs worth the money over the DRAMless crap? Also yes.

It's like recommending boots that fall apart after 4 months. Yeah it's better than your bare feet and will do the job for a little while, but it's still a crappy purchase. I thought RFDers cared about long term value? Considering Samsung EVO SSD sale posts get hundreds of upvotes, I think this is usually true.
Thumbs Up Sign

I'm amazed at the chasm in these forums between people like you who make sense and some others who are really clueless.

The cheapest price isn't always the best value.

You are right, Amazon does not have reviews, those are comments!
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15800 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA
I enjoyed the debate up until it got personal.
both raised valid technical points.
not sure why it suddenly degraded to personal attacks. it wasn't necessary you were both doing so well.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 28, 2013
170 posts
38 upvotes
Edmonton
Hey so I bought a SN550 1tb nvme during a sale last week, will being DRAM-less affect my performance at all? Or does it not matter for being nvme?

Thanks for help!

Top