[Amazon.ca] PNY 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD 120GB $25 240GB $38 480GB $65

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:08 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4327 posts
6115 upvotes
Montreal
actng wrote: I enjoyed the debate up until it got personal.
both raised valid technical points.
not sure why it suddenly degraded to personal attacks. it wasn't necessary you were both doing so well.
Both raised valid technical points? Really?
Can you name the best 3 valid technical points from "flamenko"?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12422 posts
1925 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Temporel wrote: Unless you restart your rig only once a month, you want DRAM on your SSD.
You reboot that often? On my main computer, I go for months without a reboot.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12422 posts
1925 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Windows 7 :D . But if I were running Win10, I wouldn't update. My brain is security enough ;) .
Dec 2, 2019
101 posts
226 upvotes
koolplay wrote: I pretty much want to get an sata ssd to replace a dying hd in a 15 yo desktop (my mom uses for browsing only) thinking of just getting the $25 one
I bought a "Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA3 Internal SSD, 500GB" last year during Black Friday for $54.99 ( using staples code for $25 off) for my 10+ year old HP z400 desktop. It is working just fine and I really don't care about +-2/3 seconds boot time (I walk back from my PC cabinet to my table/chair where my monitors are - I have 25 feet distance to travel :D).

So, it all depends on your use case and how much you care about these things. If you want it now, just get it else just wait for the deals season to come. I am sure, there will much better deals later this year.
Jan 29, 2020
21 posts
4 upvotes
Odd. I followed the link. Amazon shows 37.89 for the 120, 38.00 for a 240.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1354 posts
814 upvotes
Markham
can I put this into a external HD enclosure and use it as a portable HD ? I assume that means I will be transferring at USB 3.0 speed and totally defeat the purpose of a SSD ?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14085 posts
5257 upvotes
Ottawa
savemoresaveoften wrote: can I put this into a external HD enclosure and use it as a portable HD ? I assume that means I will be transferring at USB 3.0 speed and totally defeat the purpose of a SSD ?
yes.

an external USB 3 SSD is considerably faster than a hard disk, with faster access time and no moving parts. I used to top out around 120MB/s with my external hard drive, but the SSD is several times faster
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2539 posts
440 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Yeah, it's pretty clear you don't understand what you read: "mainly" means "mostly but not entirely" as in most people will buy a SSD for a faster boot time BUT NOT EVERYONE like you understood. Is English your mother tongue? It doesn't seem so: "a bit misplaced at being explained things". What?

"your response with the link that, if read improperly might infer that the mapping tables are stored in SDRAM was ..."
How am I responsible if people read something improperly?

You were wrong because the subject at hand was seek times and what you said about DRAM being volatile memory was irrelevant when discussing seek times as I explained to you. You said "The reality of boot times is the fact that they are based on seek times. How fast is that information picked up from the NAND chip."
On a SSD that has DRAM seek times have nothing to do with the NANDs since the map is read once from the NANDs and copied on the DRAM chip (which is much faster than NANDs). Then the location of the information is only read on the DRAM chip.

You just conceded a point but quickly edited your post.
That is really pathetic.
You edit your posts so fast that I can't even take a screen capture as proof (which is needed with you since you back-peddle). Lol!

But anyway, too late! I saw it.
I saw your "Man enough" reference.
Are YOU man enough to apologize for lying when you wrote that I said that "the mapping tables are somehow stored in SDRAM when the power is off"?

I'll be waiting.
PC elitists are a sad bunch ⬆️
Sep 18, 2019
103 posts
147 upvotes
omg $65 for 480GB ssd is so tempting, but i already got extras :(
Jun 1, 2004
377 posts
19 upvotes
Kanata
I see 10 packs are still a good deal, stocking stuffers ? ;-)
Jul 18, 2019
93 posts
48 upvotes
Oshawa (East GTA)
darn I wanted a 120gb
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8581 posts
3586 upvotes
Vancouver
What about to use as an internal PS4 Pro drive?
Corinthein wrote: Price has gone up. Dead deal
not for 480gb still
Nov 28, 2006
6 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
randyxrandy wrote: Hey so I bought a SN550 1tb nvme during a sale last week, will being DRAM-less affect my performance at all? Or does it not matter for being nvme?

Thanks for help!

Here's my $0.02 comment.

I used play Destiny 2 on a SATA3 HDD, the Destiny 2 loading screens was an opportunity to get a drink of water or walk around. Currently, Destiny 2 is about 120 GB size installed and updated.

I bought the same WD SN550 1TB in May 2020. I find it fast loading Destiny 2 when this game is installed on it. When it loads and during loading screens, I think it loads slower than compared to Google's Stadia offering. I had a free Google Stadia account around the same time.

I love it when technology and prices get better and affordable for all.

BTW, in the near future Destiny 2 installation size is planned to be trimmed down to remove lesser played scenarios.