Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap $97.57 (20% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 11:37 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap $97.57 (20% off)

I noticed that after I bought one, the price dipped so I cancelled and re-ordred, which again reduced the price. I repeated five times until it stopped, so I'm sharing it now since it appears to be an ATL. They seem to be using some kind of dynamic pricing algorithm so I'm not sure if further orders from RFD will change the price, I make no promises about inventory or pricing.

The H10 is probably the highest quality and most accurate ECG chest strap, it edges out Garmin devices with minor improvements. It supports concurrent BLE/ANT+ connections so I was able to view my heart rate on a rowing machine and record it on my phone at the same time.

This would be good for swimmers as the enclosure is water proof and the device has memory to sync to your phone when you're done. The other use case I can think of is people who don't want to be distracted by a watch or phone while running or biking. ECG sensors will typically be more accurate than PPG and this will beat out virtually every watch as it's less subject to variations from clenching your wrist like a watch would be. I've personally compared about 10 or 15 devices and some of the watches stray as far as 30-40 BPM from actual heart rate at higher ranges (eg. showing 150BPM when I'm at 190BPM)
2021-08-06_16-27.png
Last edited by ArchZeratul on Aug 6th, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thread Summary
See how the Polar H10 compares to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best heart rate monitors!
50 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2635 posts
5852 upvotes
Vancouver
seanymack wrote: i bought this one on aliexpress 1.5yrs ago and it works well for me on zwift
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282674 ... 04e8e217-4
This is garbage.

Not even the same product class.

The OP posted a waterproof, swimming capable HRM. Great price for the features that it has. Garmin swim is almost 30% more.
Last edited by danascully on Aug 6th, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes
danascully wrote: Very unfortunate that wrist based HRM is completely inaccurate when you are running or doing any activity that isn't walking

Chest straps are so uncomfortable and restrict breathing it's not even funny
I wasn't aware that watches were problematic even for runners, but it makes sense. I've tested about 15 fitness trackers and found most of the watch/PPG based ones were off by up to 40 BPM when measuring my heart rate manually or compared to the ECG chest strap. In the case of rowing where you are holding a handle, the results are basically void.

Regarding comfort, I guess it comes to personal preference. I've had lung issues, surgery, etc. and still find chest straps fine as long as I don't tighten the strap too much and keep it slightly offset off my sternum. As gross as it sounds, once I'm warmed up and the strap is soaked in sweat, it's even easier to ignore. It can get itchy at times though.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2635 posts
5852 upvotes
Vancouver
ArchZeratul wrote: I wasn't aware that watches were problematic even for runners, but it makes sense. I've tested about 15 fitness trackers and found most of the watch/PPG based ones were off by up to 40 BPM when measuring my heart rate manually or compared to the ECG chest strap.
Running is the hardest test for wrist based HRM, mostly because of the up and down hard bouncing motion. Especially when trail running with elevation.

Can be extremely inaccurate, i'm talking over single digit variation when compared to the gold standard chest straps
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Just an FYI, this is shipped and sold by a third party, NOT amazon.

EDIT : There are a couple sellers, the lowest being a third party. You can purchase it from Amazon as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1854 posts
445 upvotes
London
i just got the polar h9, 95% same functionality for $20 less

i find the cheaper ones like the magene from aliexpress don't last
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes
ThaChingster wrote: i just got the polar h9, 95% same functionality for $20 less

i find the cheaper ones like the magene from aliexpress don't last
Where from? H9 is currently $10 more than H10 on Amazon.

The main feature differences I imagine people would care about are:
1) H10 supports multiple connections (eg. for an ergometer)
2) H10 has built-in memory so doesn't need to feed data to a phone in real time.
2021-08-06_16-27.png
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1854 posts
445 upvotes
London
ArchZeratul wrote: Where from? H9 is currently $10 more than H10 on Amazon.

The main feature differences I imagine people would care about are:
1) H10 supports multiple connections (eg. for an ergometer)
2) H10 has built-in memory so doesn't need to feed data to a phone in real time.

2021-08-06_16-27.png
i got it from MEC. $80 MSRP. I was able to save the tax with a 15% discount.
For a cyclist that just needs it to ride on the road and on zwift, the H9 works well for me.

Thanks for bringing up those differences
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes
kwokming.kwong wrote: use a $20 Oximeter can do the same
So people are going to wear an oximeter on their finger for hours while they do their exercises that involve their hands like rowing, or fully submerge it in water while swimming? Then manifest a bluetooth connection to feed live data to something like the C2 Logbook or Strava?

You know you can use your fingers on your wrist or neck to take your heart rate for free as well right?
Dec 4, 2016
266 posts
122 upvotes
Shipper seems to be new, I'd exercise caution given returns are going to be international shipping at your expense.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
587 posts
978 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Just an FYI, this is shipped and sold by a third party, NOT amazon.

EDIT : There are a couple sellers, the lowest being a third party. You can purchase it from Amazon as well.
kithid wrote: Shipper seems to be new, I'd exercise caution given returns are going to be international shipping at your expense.
Sold and shipped by Amazon with Prime for me; not sure if it is different for you guys.
2021-08-06_17-15_1.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
ArchZeratul wrote: Sold and shipped by Amazon with Prime for me; not sure if it is different for you guys.

2021-08-06_17-15_1.png
Yes, as I stated the lowest price seller is Aye Japan, shipped and sold by them. The higher priced ones are shipped and sold by amazon.
Aug 10, 2001
909 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Got this at a local shop before the start of summer. Love it so far. I don't feel uncomfortable with it wrapped around my chest but this is a personal thing. The polar beat app is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1321 posts
1041 upvotes
Thanks OP. Bought one a few weeks ago and been using it for Marathon training. Will buy again and return.

Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3627 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kwokming.kwong wrote: use a $20 Oximeter can do the same
Thanks for the laugh Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Aug 24, 2016
45 posts
59 upvotes
Great heart rate monitor. It's great cause you can connect it to 2 devices at once. I use it to connect to my phone and my RowERG and it works perfectly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)