Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Portable Monitor, 15.6" IPS Touchscreen 1920×1080 Full HD with HDR, FreeSync $229 no tax, after $50 off coupon (OOS)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 7:48 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
306 posts
249 upvotes
EDMONTON

[Amazon.ca] Portable Monitor, 15.6" IPS Touchscreen 1920×1080 Full HD with HDR, FreeSync $229 no tax, after $50 off coupon (OOS)

July 8 update: OOS at the moment, 10 minutes ago it showed 3 in stock...

I was trying to buy a portable monitor and found this one has a 50 off coupon, brings the price down to 229 (no tax).
It got a mini hdmi port, two type c port, touch screen, support reverse charging of the phone, got speakers, headphone jack, and FreeSync.
I suppose some features may not be as advertised... FreeSync???? HDR???? but still the touch screen feature looks like a solid feature they cannot dodge.

I guess another desirable feature is vesa mount, this one does not seem to have it.

There was another on sale for 170, but got less to offer.
https://www.amazon.ca/TOPOSH-Portable-S ... 905&sr=8-8

After some debate, I went for the 229 one.
I guess paying 60 more for a 15.6 inch touch screen makes sense.

I got multiple downvotes citing this is not a good product and wondered why. I searched and could not find other reviews online, except the one 5 start customer review from a verified purchase on Amazon. No reviews does not automatically equal to a bad product right? I will do a mini review once I got it.
Last edited by windenchanter on Jul 8th, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
41 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16796 posts
3309 upvotes
GTA
what do you use a portable monitor for?
like bringing it with your laptop to Starbucks for dual screen work?
or something less obvious?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2315 posts
2683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
While the lack of ports might be a an issue (tho adapters are available), most Android and iOS tablets these days allow you to connect them to your PC (wired or wireless) and use as a second monitor. At almost $300, a tablet would be a better move, no?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2582 posts
2171 upvotes
condo
If you have a spare iPad or Android tablet laying around... this iOS and Android app may be able to create an extended display
Jan 19, 2008
981 posts
442 upvotes
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Does it have a battery, or do you always have to have it plugged in? If so how long does it last?
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
306 posts
249 upvotes
EDMONTON
Yeah, that is one purpose. I use my laptop and that single monitor is definitely not enough.
Also, I like to work on my bed, this monitor can be powered by a single USB c cable, which means I don't need to have another power supply dangling besides my laptops and it can be handled by an over the bed table. Actually I ordered one over the bed table, just haven't arrived yet.
For the touch screen, I don't really know if I need it right now, as my phone does not support it yet, but it is nice to have. It basically turns your phone to a tablet. You can play phone games on a bigger screen.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1137 posts
1787 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder if the touch screen will work with Macbook. Usually, the touch screen monitors are for Windows only, but since it's advertised as a touch screen monitor with macbook in the title, I'll give it a try and see if works. Hopefully I won't have to return it. Thanks OP

Update
In the description, it says "Mac OS only supports single point toch control". Even without multi-touch, I think I'd be happy with it.
Last edited by fpenguin on Jul 8th, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
306 posts
249 upvotes
EDMONTON
It depends on the use case. I plan to use it on my bed beside my laptop, not for phone use, just future proof for phone use.
I had multiple tablets, but none of them go a 15-inch screen...
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1137 posts
1787 upvotes
Vancouver
Dark_fantom wrote: Does it have a battery, or do you always have to have it plugged in? If so how long does it last?
I have a similar one (not touch screen, and no audio jack, but does have tiny speakers) that draws power from a single USB-C cable (for power and data)
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
306 posts
249 upvotes
EDMONTON
No battery. There is one with battery (I saw one with a battery good for 3 hours, but slightly more expensive), but since it is an external display, I do not think it needs a battery, unless you use the HDMI input, which lose the touch screen function. Just one USB C cable will do both power and display (depending on the device).
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
306 posts
249 upvotes
EDMONTON
Yeah, I saw that too.
I have a MacBook pro, so limited use for mac.
The touch screen could be useful for web browsing when laying down. (I know it is not a good habit, but that is what I do...)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1137 posts
1787 upvotes
Vancouver
actng wrote: what do you use a portable monitor for?
You can play Super Smash Bros on Nintendo Switch - 4 player mode. :-)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4924 posts
533 upvotes
Winnipeg
actng wrote: what do you use a portable monitor for?
You could use it in a portable KVM kit for accessing headless servers.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12640 posts
3562 upvotes
Kanata
I'd love to get one if they were cheaper. Makes for a great second monitor, working from home, in the backyard on the patio. Not so much fun to grab a monitor, an extension cord, and all that. First world problem.
I would have loved to get one for use in a coffee shop too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5115 posts
1736 upvotes
Mississauga
This is primarily for road warriors that need a 2nd monitor, but you can do you what you want with it. While you can miracast to a tablet, the response time and refresh time is too slow.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
i decided to get rid of my laptop to get a desktop. i am currently building it righ tnow. i have a 27 inch monitor in my main room but love to have the ability to take the box of my mini itx desktop to my living room or my bedroom. i was looking for a small monitor so i can play anywhere in the house and having a big monitor in the living room wasnt part of my plans. this one seems to fit the bill for me but i am not sure if i want to buy a no name brand.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3333 upvotes
response time 3 milliseconds i would doubt it. Maybe from HDMI it is possible most of these portable usually only use the usb c.
huh they arent even mentioning the refresh rate!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)