Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Poweradd EnergyCell AC 5000mAh 2-in-1 Portable Wall Charger and Power Bank

[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 8, 2017
181 posts
369 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Poweradd EnergyCell AC 5000mAh 2-in-1 Portable Wall Charger and Power Bank

Good and cheap alternative to the Anker Powercore 5000.

Edit : updated deal link.
Last edited by dalex100 on Oct 18th, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
3505 posts
4946 upvotes
BC
Thanks, was eyeing the Anker one but it was a bit pricy, this should come handy when travelling.

Might return the 20,000 one I got, that thing is huge
Member
User avatar
Mar 26, 2006
374 posts
260 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
just read this in one of the amazon reviews:

The item description says it charges itself while plugged to an outlet - this is not true; it doesn’t. You need to use the USB cable and a separate adapter to actually charge the power bank. In other words, this doesn’t work as a wall charger. My unit literally does nothing when it is plugged to the wall itself; it does not charge the power bank nor the phone connected to the power bank. I am very disappointed with this product. Buyers beware.
Sr. Member
Feb 15, 2005
599 posts
253 upvotes
Calgary
jiggajayd wrote: just read this in one of the amazon reviews:

The item description says it charges itself while plugged to an outlet - this is not true; it doesn’t. You need to use the USB cable and a separate adapter to actually charge the power bank. In other words, this doesn’t work as a wall charger. My unit literally does nothing when it is plugged to the wall itself; it does not charge the power bank nor the phone connected to the power bank. I am very disappointed with this product. Buyers beware.
This is kind of surprising and sounds like a faulty one off item. What is the point of the outlet prongs, if not to charge?
Hold your power bank on a wall?

My Anker one charges itself and a phone at the same time. It is great. If this does the same. It is a great cheaper alternative.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
3505 posts
4946 upvotes
BC
jiggajayd wrote: just read this in one of the amazon reviews:

The item description says it charges itself while plugged to an outlet - this is not true; it doesn’t. You need to use the USB cable and a separate adapter to actually charge the power bank. In other words, this doesn’t work as a wall charger. My unit literally does nothing when it is plugged to the wall itself; it does not charge the power bank nor the phone connected to the power bank. I am very disappointed with this product. Buyers beware.
I think that customer received a lemon. Other reviews say it works both ways.

Will see when I get mine
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1094 posts
616 upvotes
15W output is actually better than the 11W output on the Anker. Still, it's too much of a compromise device to me. 15W doesn't really cut it for output, 5000mAH is too small of a power bank. It will only work for phones, will never charge Switch or laptop. Doesn't seem to do either job of power bank or charger well, pass.
Member
User avatar
Mar 26, 2006
374 posts
260 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
peakingduck wrote: I think that customer received a lemon. Other reviews say it works both ways.

Will see when I get mine
Ya, i was thinking about it later and thought that'd be pretty ironic if the device needed a separate charger. It also seems a bit strange to have a micro-usb input but i suppose it can be used to charge with non-NA power outlets.

I ended up getting one for my Wyze cam to use as a UPS. Hopefully I don't get a lemon!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 4, 2004
9685 posts
2333 upvotes
Montreal
jiggajayd wrote: Ya, i was thinking about it later and thought that'd be pretty ironic if the device needed a separate charger. It also seems a bit strange to have a micro-usb input but i suppose it can be used to charge with non-NA power outlets.

I ended up getting one for my Wyze cam to use as a UPS. Hopefully I don't get a lemon!
Interesting use for this device (small UPS for a Wyze cam)! Although, with it constantly plugged in/discharging/recharging/discharging/rechaging....that cell in there is going to DIE REAL FAST.
Jr. Member
Aug 8, 2012
114 posts
286 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Interesting use for this device (small UPS for a Wyze cam)! Although, with it constantly plugged in/discharging/recharging/discharging/rechaging....that cell in there is going to DIE REAL FAST.
If it works the same as the Anker one, I think while plugged to the wall outlet, if electronic devices are plugged into the Poweradd, it will prioritize as charger first rather than the power bank (ie. it won't draw power from the battery).

It'll only start drawing power from battery when there's a power outage.
Newbie
May 9, 2018
15 posts
4 upvotes
The description says this outputs up to 3.1 amps per port. This could be a used as a power supply for a Raspberry Pi 4!

Edit: 3.1AMPS may be only on the battery
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 4, 2008
818 posts
258 upvotes
New Westminster
yuprules wrote: Interesting use for this device (small UPS for a Wyze cam)! Although, with it constantly plugged in/discharging/recharging/discharging/rechaging....that cell in there is going to DIE REAL FAST.
thanks for sharing this use case, very interesting. first i gotta work on getting a UPS for my pihole DNS, orbi, and modem though...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2007
3862 posts
2627 upvotes
Ontario
yuprules wrote: Interesting use for this device (small UPS for a Wyze cam)! Although, with it constantly plugged in/discharging/recharging/discharging/rechaging....that cell in there is going to DIE REAL FAST.
A while back Chapters was getting a rid of a ton of 5000mAh ones for some silly price. I bought a bunch and use them for exactly that.
---
Newbie
Feb 17, 2019
98 posts
42 upvotes
I don't know if the problem is the USB cable I am using, or if I misunderstood the specs, but this thing charges my phone hella slow. I thought it was quick charge.

Top