Preorder: Akira 4k + Blu-ray $22.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2022 9:27 am
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1646 posts
721 upvotes
London
It's a pretty shit transfer. They didn't even use the high bitrate audio from the Blu-ray.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
4110 posts
4562 upvotes
Ottawa
Samwfive wrote: Respectfully asking: isn't 4K an overkill on anime....cartoons...?
Watch Weathering with You in 4k, then come back and look at your question.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3705 posts
2617 upvotes
EDMONTON
I watched the 4K on Kodi and the quality is not good. It is very inconsistent. It was blurry fuzzy mess mixed in with some decent sharp animations here and there. It was really distacting and took away from enjoying the film. I don't recommend buying this.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23102 posts
28605 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: I watched the 4K on Kodi and the quality is not good. It is very inconsistent. It was blurry fuzzy mess mixed in with some decent sharp animations here and there. It was really distacting and took away from enjoying the film. I don't recommend buying this.
If that's true, I'd rather watch an upscaled good 1080p cut.

4K helps for large screen immersion, but the above is still quite enjoyable.

We were all about 1080p content 10 years ago, when we all had better eyes.
May 30, 2013
532 posts
605 upvotes
Markham
Samwfive wrote: Respectfully asking: isn't 4K an overkill on anime....cartoons...?
I have the 1080 bluray disc, and I also torrented the 4K version. Honestly, there are not really much of a different in terms of picture quality. If your TV or player has a good upsale algorithm, you won't really notice.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1646 posts
721 upvotes
London
umadbrah wrote: Totally forgot about akira release on 4K. I'm going to find and watch a 4K source on Kodi before I buy this.
Honestly, if it weren't for the HDR (which they messed up the first time) you'd be better off watching the Blu-ray. It's really not a huge difference it being 80's anime.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1412 posts
1096 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I really wish they'd make a sequel to this

Edit: I read ALITA, not Akira. Lol
Last edited by Kevin8se7en on Jan 16th, 2022 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
recordman wrote: What was the source material resolution? Probably not 4k. Upscaling and colour touch-up would probably see minor improvements, but just not the same.
The source material is hand drawn.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
Sounds like my mom talking about a how a tv doesn't have to be good if its "just for games".
Nov 26, 2008
110 posts
33 upvotes
RedFlagCrake wrote: Wtf is that cover. It's blasphemous! Looks like a kid's drawing.
Cover was created by katsuhiro otomo the creator of akira. I guess you need certain appreciation for his work. I understand his work is dated, but without him there would be no akira film.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3720 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
Watch Akira in English or Japanese?
Nov 23, 2012
434 posts
337 upvotes
Brossard
hystavito wrote: Watch Akira in English or Japanese?
Unless you are native Japanese...

Anything other then Japanese with English subtitles is blasphemy!
Jul 13, 2018
129 posts
80 upvotes
He’s also the director of the film.
Similar to Hayao Miyazaki with Nausicaa.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1429 posts
1432 upvotes
Airdrie
Longshot49 wrote: Unless you are native Japanese...

Anything other then Japanese with English subtitles is blasphemy!
Can't watch anything dubbed.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23102 posts
28605 upvotes
mcwilly wrote: Can't watch anything dubbed.
I stopped watching this stuff ages ago, but back then, yes.

On rare occasion, a really good dub presented itself, and it was enjoyable. Mostly skipped dubs though, as they usually also re-cut the anime and water down the controversy.

It remains to this day, a source of unbridled thought provoking content and controversy. Meanwhile, American animation remains an anesthetized bubble-wrapped vacuum-sealed enterprise, where multiple interest groups ensure anything outside mainstream consciousness is suppressed. My university was largely in the pre-woke era, and what a difference I'm hearing from students today (graphic design and animation). Even MBA students....

Anyways, sub over dub, original foreign cut over American cut.

God bless, folks.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3720 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
OK, when I watch non-English movies I always go with subtitles, and for the little anime I have seen I did the same. However some anime fans like English dubs, I think this happens a lot when it's a continuation of something they watched as a child way back when they only had access to a dub. A couple times I went through some anime scenes and looked at the English audio/subs vs the English subs for the Japanese audio, and there were some huge differences.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1966 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote: OK, when I watch non-English movies I always go with subtitles, and for the little anime I have seen I did the same. However some anime fans like English dubs, I think this happens a lot when it's a continuation of something they watched as a child way back when they only had access to a dub. A couple times I went through some anime scenes and looked at the English audio/subs vs the English subs for the Japanese audio, and there were some huge differences.
It's not as easy as doing a straight translation. A lot of references would only make sense from a Japanese context, such as their honorifics, so that has to get localized. Then it's about having dialogue that would fit the lip-sync that was intended for Japanese.

I think dubs now are a lot better than dubs in the past. I would almost always watch an anime subbed but if I wanted to rewatch, I would do it dubbed for a new experience.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)