Amazon.ca

Preorder: Akira 4k + Blu-ray $22.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2022 9:27 am
Sep 17, 2007
844 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
simonchretien wrote: Huh? Why would any 4k be overkill? Looks like trolling.
He's right. Watching animations in 4k has extremely little value.
Sep 17, 2007
844 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: According to who? Its the same value as any other movie. Here is a review https://hd-report.com/reviews/akira-198 ... 0animation.
HDR10 changes the way you see colours and enjoy contrast. Thus that would be useful. Upscaling something that was digitally created, from 1080p to 4k gets you extremely little details that your brain will not be able to perceive them . ( or will momentarily when you see sharper edges when extremely close to the screen, but will also forget in the next 5 mins.)
Last edited by DARSHAKJUST4U on Jan 18th, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: HDR10 changes the way you see colours and enjoy contrast. Thus that would be useful, upscaling something that was digitally created, from 1080p to 4k gets you extremely little details that your brain will not be able to perceive them . ( or will momentarily when you see sharper edges when extremely close to the screen, but will also forget in the next 5 mins.)
What makes you think its an upscale? Its listed as real 4k here https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: Point is, You aren't loosing much when you go 1080, when it comes to animations...
Just because you say it, doesnt make it true. Lets be honest here, its the same as any other kind of film. Animation, especially one this good does benefit just as much as any other true 4k version. I have no idea where this idea even comes from? I know a lot of computer animated films are mastered at 1080p and upscaled (I think probably all of them?), maybe thats where the idea comes from? For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale.
Sep 17, 2007
844 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: Just because you say it, doesnt make it true. Lets be honest here, its the same as any other kind of film. Animation, especially one this good does benefit just as much as any other true 4k version. I have no idea where this idea even comes from? I know a lot of computer animated films are mastered at 1080p and upscaled (I think probably all of them?), maybe thats where the idea comes from? For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale.
"For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale"
Exactly. Hdr is, but not 4k. ReMastered or not, 4k downscaled to 1080p vs 4k as 4k... There will be hardly any difference when watched at 1080
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: "For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale"
Exactly. Hdr is, but not 4k. ReMastered or not, 4k downscaled to 1080p vs 4k as 4k... There will be hardly any difference when watched at 1080
Sure, this movie Akira is native 4k though.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1646 posts
721 upvotes
London
Yeah it's ageless but this transfer is too soft to be considered true 4K or at least, demo worthy. It falls pretty short of most people's expectations for 4K anime. Especially for such a huge title like Akira. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried again a couple years later without any DNR and put the proper hi res audio track.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1872 posts
759 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: "For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale"
There can be a huge difference between the 2 formats, but it seems like you’re watching 4K on a 1080p set without seeing the difference first hand. Sure the HDR is the big selling point with 4K/UHD releases, but the sharpness is also very present. You are also looking at the smaller tv picture but there are more projector owners then you would think out there too. Me being one of them and I want quality on screen and yes I do have a 4K projector to enjoy them. One of my favs in the 4K jump was Disney’s The Little Mermaid from ‘89 which trounces my old blu-ray copy. I will happily upgrade my Miyazaki films to 4K, when/if that were to ever happen.

*I still have yet to see Akira
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3705 posts
2617 upvotes
EDMONTON
Just because a movie is native 4K doesn't mean the quality is good. There are tons of old films brought into native 4K that look awful.

You are barely going to see extra detail from an (drawn) animated film because there aren't really any extra details to see. It's just lines and color. Sure the outlines will be a little sharper :p
teksavvy sucks
Jul 13, 2018
129 posts
80 upvotes
Would you rather see a 2K DCP or see a film closer to a 35mm print?
Feb 18, 2009
431 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone confirm if this is the HDR disc?
The Special Edition set was messed up by Funimation and people had to contact them for replacements.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1966 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
umadbrah wrote: Just because a movie is native 4K doesn't mean the quality is good. There are tons of old films brought into native 4K that look awful.

You are barely going to see extra detail from an (drawn) animated film because there aren't really any extra details to see. It's just lines and color. Sure the outlines will be a little sharper :p
In general, 4k will get a benefit from simply having higher bitrates and better compression with HEVC.

In Akira's case, the movie is very detailed and the BD has visible macroblocking. The UHD has a new "remaster" that the included Blu-Ray does not use.

If you have a UHD player and don't own Akira, why would you not buy the 4k version? Is it worth a double dip? Up to you.
Jun 28, 2021
275 posts
407 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: It remains to this day, a source of unbridled thought provoking content and controversy. Meanwhile, American animation remains an anesthetized bubble-wrapped vacuum-sealed enterprise, where multiple interest groups ensure anything outside mainstream consciousness is suppressed. My university was largely in the pre-woke era, and what a difference I'm hearing from students today (graphic design and animation). Even MBA students....
Eh? While I can't comment on what American animation education is like these days, I don't think I'd characterize American animation so negatively . For example, have you heard of Netflix's "Love Death Robots"? Several of the animations are by an American studio and I wouldn't exactly call them anesthetized. Here's an example of one American animation's setting:

"In a dystopian future, humanity has gained drug-induced biological immortality, resulting in overpopulation. Breeding becomes strictly forbidden, and any children found are summarily executed by the police force while their parents are prosecuted."
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: Just because a movie is native 4K doesn't mean the quality is good. There are tons of old films brought into native 4K that look awful.

Why yes there are, especially in something so ridiculously detailed as Akira. Im really confused where this strange take is coming from regarding this movie.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1123 posts
1179 upvotes
wild_warren wrote: Can anyone confirm if this is the HDR disc?
The Special Edition set was messed up by Funimation and people had to contact them for replacements.
HDR confirmed, popped my copy in
HDR.jpg

DarkReaper wrote: In general, 4k will get a benefit from simply having higher bitrates and better compression with HEVC.

In Akira's case, the movie is very detailed and the BD has visible macroblocking. The UHD has a new "remaster" that the included Blu-Ray does not use.

If you have a UHD player and don't own Akira, why would you not buy the 4k version? Is it worth a double dip? Up to you.
I own the 4k/bluray combo, the 25th anniversary blu-ray combo back (was like $9 at Walmart!) and the Pioneer Signature Series DVD!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
Just got it in the mail, it is indeed HDR10 on my 4K disk as well.
Nov 25, 2012
160 posts
99 upvotes
Winnipeg
mumbles wrote: Yeah it's ageless but this transfer is too soft to be considered true 4K or at least, demo worthy. It falls pretty short of most people's expectations for 4K anime. Especially for such a huge title like Akira. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried again a couple years later without any DNR and put the proper hi res audio track.
Not sure anything from the '80s is really going feature prominently in any home theatre demos. Might be able to find something if you really love Kenny Loggins.
Kevcorm wrote: What makes you think its an upscale? Its listed as real 4k here https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
Does this list have inside knowledge of the disc releases or does it just list stuff as fake if it was shot/rendered sub-4k, and real if it was shot 4k+ or on film?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1872 posts
759 upvotes
Timothy2 wrote: Not sure anything from the '80s is really going feature prominently in any home theatre demos. Might be able to find something if you really love Kenny Loggins.
Indiana Jones series, Star Wars, Batman, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters. I can name a few more that had a great track and got a new TrueHD, DTS-HDMA, DTS:X, or Atmos treatment and made them better.

Does this list have inside knowledge of the disc releases or does it just list stuff as fake if it was shot/rendered sub-4k, and real if it was shot 4k+ or on film?
Some have press releases beforehand, an insert in special editions and can easily be found online, on your own, to confirm. Some will rescan several prints/film cells of the film and pick which ones to clean up/use for these releases.
[external link removed]