Amazon.ca

Preorder: Akira 4k + Blu-ray $22.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2022 9:27 am
Sep 17, 2007
847 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: Just because you say it, doesnt make it true. Lets be honest here, its the same as any other kind of film. Animation, especially one this good does benefit just as much as any other true 4k version. I have no idea where this idea even comes from? I know a lot of computer animated films are mastered at 1080p and upscaled (I think probably all of them?), maybe thats where the idea comes from? For computer animated movies, the hdr is the selling point if your tv already does a good upscale.
Compare watching animated series in 4k vs an old school digitally animated video with extremely little details.
It's like, Watching a circle drawn by humans in 4k vs watching BBC planet earth in 4k. Watching animations in 4k brings very little value (to me Atleast and the folks who questioned it initially) , unless I want to see sharper edges and lines, like somone mentioned above... The details are just not there which warrants rendering the video at higher resolution. Sure on paper it is better. But unless a die hard fan, animated movies may just be good enough at 1080p. HDR10 on the other hand, completely changes the way you see colours and enjoy contrast. That's worth it. Otherwise any software upscaling TV will artificially convert 1080p to 4k with extremely high accuracy as it is very easy to do so, due to lack of data and very little content to work with anyways.
It's not like it'll have to work on isolating each hair strand or the reflection of the water in prestine quality.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2633 posts
2064 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: Respectfully asking: isn't 4K an overkill on anime....cartoons...?
For anyone who's not a troll or an idiot, I'm happy to inform you that Akira is a 35mm film, which means more than 4k worth of data to scan per frame. So no, 4k is not overkill... a good fit, but still underkill.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1132 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto, ON
umadbrah wrote: Just because a movie is native 4K doesn't mean the quality is good. There are tons of old films brought into native 4K that look awful.

Would really like to know which movies you are referring to that were scanned in native 4k and look awful.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1329 posts
494 upvotes
Ontario
Samwfive wrote: Respectfully asking: isn't 4K an overkill on anime....cartoons...?
Oh sweet summer child.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1921 posts
1660 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: Compare watching animated series in 4k vs an old school digitally animated video with extremely little details.
It's like, Watching a circle drawn by humans in 4k vs watching BBC planet earth in 4k. Watching animations in 4k brings very little value (to me Atleast and the folks who questioned it initially) , unless I want to see sharper edges and lines, like somone mentioned above... The details are just not there which warrants rendering the video at higher resolution. Sure on paper it is better. But unless a die hard fan, animated movies may just be good enough at 1080p. HDR10 on the other hand, completely changes the way you see colours and enjoy contrast. That's worth it. Otherwise any software upscaling TV will artificially convert 1080p to 4k with extremely high accuracy as it is very easy to do so, due to lack of data and very little content to work with anyways.
It's not like it'll have to work on isolating each hair strand or the reflection of the water in prestine quality.
I have the movie in both 4k and 1080p, are you trying to tell me I cant see reality? This movie has a ton of detail, if you watch it you can see that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1130 posts
1189 upvotes
Just look at this beauty still I ripped from my TV, this file is 67mb of pure 4k HDR goodness.

I mean I had Adventure time on DVD and rebought it ALL on blu-ray (Same as the Soprano's and Breaking Bad) the quality difference from DVD to Bluray is insane.

My TV is 85" and DVD Bluray and then 4k are noticeable difference and 4k is superior.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1921 posts
1660 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote: Compare watching animated series in 4k vs an old school digitally animated video with extremely little details.
Maybe watch Akira in 4k to see what Im talking about.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)