• Jul 17th, 2019 2:19 am
Jun 17, 2005
246 posts
185 upvotes
Etobicoke
lostinpangea wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:04 pm
This!

One of these DNA tests, FamilyTreeDNA, shared over 2 million records with the FBI! Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... th-the-fbi
Was looking at Veritas Genetics, but I won't touch this stuff until they iron out the privacy side of things in Canada. As far as I know (and fellow RFDers might know more) the Genetic Non-Discrimination Act currently provides some protections, but the Quebec Court of Appeal has found it not constitutionally valid, so it's on its way to the Supreme Court of Canada in the fall.

As for which companies share what data -- I guess this is a wait-and-see game to figure out which companies value privacy & information security and are willing to fight for it.
Sep 17, 2016
268 posts
94 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:41 pm
I am pretty sure almost everyone does...
Only those of East Asian decent usually have this gene.
Mar 23, 2018
77 posts
92 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:40 pm
Does it give you lifetime access to your information? If so, does it get updated with new findings, such as new family member connections?
yes I believe that it does. It gives me updates on new relative matches once a month or so.
Jan 19, 2017
26 posts
33 upvotes
Edmonton
So there's no chance the genetic illness marker information gets shared with, say, insurance companies, right?
"Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.' Do you understand?"
Feb 11, 2017
152 posts
95 upvotes
TitusBobby wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:57 pm
Only those of East Asian decent usually have this gene.
Wrong. Only northern Europe tends to have an overwhelming majority of lactose tolerant people.

Aug 5, 2012
111 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:40 pm
Does it give you lifetime access to your information? If so, does it get updated with new findings, such as new family member connections?
Yes. After they sequence your genome you can also just download your raw sequence and run that through other genetic libraries if you want to or just to have it stored. They update your profile whenever they add new health reports and family member connections as well.
Dec 15, 2017
93 posts
54 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 3:56 pm
Look into what they can interpolate about you once they combine your genetics with your ad profile. There's a huge privacy debate about these DNA kits.
Its not just the FBI or ad services to be wary of. Imagine if insurance companies start querying these databases and refusing payouts because some of your relatives had heart problems or other diseases above some threshold. We are covered in Canada by public health program but still need a private travel insurance when we go abroad. Scary stuff.
Mar 4, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
At risk of sounding foolish... My biological sister and I are both interested in trying this out. If one of us did it, then presumably my results should be the same as hers right? (unless dad has some 'splaining to do...)
Dec 27, 2007
437 posts
173 upvotes
RyanJ52506 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 5:30 pm
At risk of sounding foolish... My biological sister and I are both interested in trying this out. If one of us did it, then presumably my results should be the same as hers right? (unless dad has some 'splaining to do...)
No. Due to XX and XY chromosomes, some genes are present only in one of the sexes and not in the other. So the overall results of both of you should be SIMILAR but not identical ("same").

Also, why dad and not mom - she theoretically could have had some marital transgressions and nobody would be any the wiser ;)
Feb 24, 2012
163 posts
32 upvotes
TORONTO
RyanJ52506 wrote:
If you are female I guess you’d be mostly covered, but if you are male, then your sister cannot give you the info on your Y chromosome....
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4113 posts
2498 upvotes
RyanJ52506 wrote:
So what happens if she is not your biological sister?
Jul 25, 2010
398 posts
153 upvotes
Thanks OP, ordered 2. Looking forward to the health analysis!

If I find out that my SO and I are related, I'm gonna blame you, OP.
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
RyanJ52506 wrote:
You only inherit half of your dad's DNA and half of your mom's DNA, so it's entirely possible that you guys inherited a completely different mix of DNA. If you're using it for health markers then your sibling's info will be useless to you, if you have genetic markers for a disease she does not necessarily carry the same ones. If you're using it for genealogy then if you're male then I'd probably test you, since you'll get info on the Y chromosome and I don't think these tests are testing mtDNA. I am female and chose to test myself and my father and I got some interesting results, and my dad's health information ended up completely different than mine even though I'm 50% him. (I chose to use Ancestry and upload my data to promethease though, it was a much cheaper option to get the health information and saved me a lot of money).
Feb 24, 2012
85 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Be careful, the feds use these companies to take your DNA. Im sure you are all law abiding citizens though and have nothing to worry about though :)